Day Pupils

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Day Pupils

Post by lippizaner »

Hi Ailurophile, that is indeed a bit strange. Not having been on this forum then, I had no idea. Why do you think there were all these vacancies then, and people left on a waiting list? Odd, don't you think?
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Anniexf's explanation of the reason for the lower numbers last year is exactly as I understood it too.

I'm not 100% sure but I think in the past there was a policy of only admitting students in Year 7 and Year 12. I think this has been changing over the past couple of years but it may explain why there are fewer students in some years. As well as the lower intake last year there is 'natural wastage' in other years which leave places that I don' t think have traditionally been filled from a waiting list.

I might be wrong about this.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Has anyone considered "Recession" "Insecurity" and the fact that, even with concessioms, most pupils still have to pay some fees ?

I imagine that most Parents would move Heaven and Earth to get their child to CH----- but "Times is 'ard"
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

simongibbs wrote: We were charged: “never to forget the great benefits you have received in this place, and in time to come according to your means to do all that you can do to enable others to enjoy the same advantage”.
I take it that if the school becomes more of a 'conventional' fee-charging institution, that the charge might get dropped?
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

I don't think they would need to drop the charge but people might feel less like honouring it if their parents have already paid full fees.

Which then will reduce income in the future for the school and make it less likely that they will be able to return to the original principles.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

YadaYada wrote:I don't think they would need to drop the charge but people might feel less like honouring it if their parents have already paid full fees.
Sort of how I feel. I don't think my parents paid full fees - and I don't feel that I had a particularly great time at Christ's Hospital, certainly not commensurate with all the hubris about Royal Religious and Ancient and the rather fatuous Charge which gets laid on the leaver as a form of bond on their last day. Come the day and the means, no doubt I'll be rather generous to something - just not sure it will be an increasingly wayward school.
NTN
3rd Former

Post by NTN »

Here we go again --- "Avon" didn't have a good time at CH -- and therefore wants to denigrate "The Royal and Ancient Foundation and all that Furore"

Nasty little Erks who cannot appreciate their privilege of being at CH good or bad --
should shut up and retire to their holes !

I imagine, with some satisfaction, that they are in a tiny minority.

Yes -- I know this is an insulting and very personal Post and it is so intended !

I shall, possibly be "Edited out" !!!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

NTN wrote:Here we go again --- "Avon" didn't have a good time at CH -- and therefore wants to denigrate "The Royal and Ancient Foundation and all that Furore"

Nasty little Erks who cannot appreciate their privilege of being at CH good or bad --

Yes -- I know this is an insulting and very personal Post and it is so intended !

Well Neill, I believe I'm in the category of Nasty little Erk. My appreciation of Hertford is limited to a love of cricket and choral music, which probably would have been acquired anyway at the civilised grammar school I attended when I could bear Hertford no longer.
People have a right to mention their dissatisfaction here, despite your objections which, I have to say, have been expressed far more nastily than Avon's objections to CH were. I'm really sorry to see such an unpleasantly personal post on this site.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NTN wrote:Here we go again --- "Avon" didn't have a good time at CH -- and therefore wants to denigrate "The Royal and Ancient Foundation and all that Furore"

I suggest that that was just a little OTT, Neil. I doubt if there is any OB who did not have something unpleasant hgappen to him/her at CH (be it bullying, detention, not being allowed to do whatever he/she liked or whatever) but for most if not all, at some time they will realise that, for all the negative points there were also some positive ones. Ed is simply having a "negative" spell and perhaps in a decade or two he will take a different view.

As for being edited out, I have just had such an email message from somebody unknown which does not say what has been removed - but the thread has not been posted on for perhaps six months!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I do think your description of erks was a bit ott, Neill

However, this is an un-official school forum, but I would remind members/posters of the rules !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Avon wrote:
YadaYada wrote: Sort of how I feel. I don't think my parents paid full fees - and I don't feel that I had a particularly great time at Christ's Hospital, certainly not commensurate with all the hubris about Royal Religious and Ancient and the rather fatuous Charge which gets laid on the leaver as a form of bond on their last day. Come the day and the means, no doubt I'll be rather generous to something - just not sure it will be an increasingly wayward school.
I realise that not all Blues appreciated their time at CH. Perhaps they should devote their efforts to trying to improve the school for future generations; this , unfortunately often involves money. Unless their parents paid full fees the foundation spent money and resources on them.
Col A 1946-1953
NTN
3rd Former

Post by NTN »

Yes, I'm afraid I was a bit cross but --------

I loved the School, and still do -- is this perhaps a "Generation thing" ?
I admit to knowing nothing about life at Hertford, other than what has been written on this Forum.

We seem to exist, these days, in a Society, which favours the "Protestor" more than the "Protested"

And don't get me started on same-sex "Marriages" in Church ! :oops: :oops:
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

NTN wrote:Yes, I'm afraid I was a bit cross but --------

We seem to exist, these days, in a Society, which favours the "Protestor" more than the "Protested"

And don't get me started on same-sex "Marriages" in Church ! :oops: :oops:
NTN, there was only one critical comment here but that was enough to get you started - or rather, put you into splenetic hyperdrive. Now you extrapolate that to cover the whole of "Society"!
Frankly, I'd prefer it if no-one got you started on any subject at all, but that would mean we all had to either agree with you or ignore you. Sadly that's not going to happen. :(
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Neill, it would perhaps be a 'generational thing' in that during your day, and mine, there were very few who paid full fees, so we were all well aware of the debt that we owed to 'charitable benevolence'.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Hey, leave me out of this!

Avon said this....not me! I am not an OB!
YadaYada wrote:
Sort of how I feel. I don't think my parents paid full fees - and I don't feel that I had a particularly great time at Christ's Hospital, certainly not commensurate with all the hubris about Royal Religious and Ancient and the rather fatuous Charge which gets laid on the leaver as a form of bond on their last day. Come the day and the means, no doubt I'll be rather generous to something - just not sure it will be an increasingly wayward school.