Day Pupils

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Day Pupils

Post by Katharine »

Avon wrote:
postwarblue wrote:The usual lily-livered false equivalence. Germans were fighting to plunge the whole world into a thousand-year Nazi night. Their dead have no honour. Ours were fighting for freedom, justice, democracy and the rule of law. Thnere is a difference.
Utter rot. 'Their dead have no honour'. Have you been to war? Go give your head a wobble - alternatively, read this:

“Heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives! You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.”

Kemal Ataturk on Gallipoli.

When that gets said by a combatant a few years after one of the bloodiest campaigns in WW1 and you come out with that statement nearly 70 years after WW2 makes one despair.

Good luck to the German students at CH, I hope they meet the right sort of English grandparents.
Well said Avon, I was at Gallipoli last week and was so impressed by this. I was part of an international tour group, one Australian found her great uncle's grave at ANZAC Cove, very moving. Our excellent Turkish tour guide then took us to a Turkish Cemetery. He pointed out that the Turks were fighting to protect their homeland.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965