Corporal Punishment by CH Teaching staff

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Corporal Punishment by CH Teaching staff

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Any team that beats Manchester United is okay by me.

As for getting one's ass whupped in the more physical sense, I was cracked with a gym-shoe a few times but it never had much of an effect on me, except in the sense that on one of the occasions myself and five other boys were cracked quite hard when we hadn't even done anything wrong, but the master doing it simply wouldn't listen to reason. I came away from that ass-whupping session fuming with righteous indignation, I can tell you.

Personally I never saw anything wrong with corporal punishment, as long as one knew oneself to be existing within a framework where it was the acknowledged deterrent. That's to say, if you don't want to get skelped, behave yourself. But as with the hanging of Timothy Evans, getting your buttocks warmed when you've done nothing wrong is just not on and I firmly believe all six of us should have been allowed to crack the master back, administering eighteen well-aimed wallops to his hoary old trouser-seat.

Punishment-wise, I was always rather tickled when masters or school monitors said to me "Right, you're getting a punishment. Do you want a detention or a drill?" I would always unhesitatingly say "Drill, please," because I spent a lot of time on Medical Pass when I was at school and was pretty much excused drills in perpetuity, so basically I never got punished. What a wheeze.
bloopb120
2nd Former

Post by bloopb120 »

I was at CH during the late sixties early seventies..I was punished both by housemasters and headmasters. What right did these people have to do that? And did they enjoy doing it?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

bloopb120 wrote:I was at CH during the late sixties early seventies..I was punished both by housemasters and headmasters. What right did these people have to do that? And did they enjoy doing it?
I'm from your era.

It would be argued that the "right" to beat comes from being in loco parentis (or whatever the latin is I was never much good at it). Corporal punishment, rightly or wrongly, was still a recognised form of chastisement in society at large at the time so not unusual.

Did they enjoy doing it? As something of an expert on being gym shoed in the junior house I'd say no not in my experience. It was seen as an instant lesson or retribution and no more.

I cannot speak for others.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

bloopb120 wrote: And did they enjoy doing it?
Some did, undoubtedly. See Bryan Magee's memoir for some graphic examples from the 40s. By the early 60s things were perhaps a little less overt.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I expect there was the individual who enjoyed being sadistic though I didn't see any evidence of it. (I got the cane and shoe regularly but no way did I approach the record holder in my time from Peele A I think).
As for Chrissie Boy, perhaps you got slippered once when you didn't deserve it - it happened to me but there were times I perhaps deserved it and escaped.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I was caned, By LM Carey on six occasions, with four strokes, and I deserved every one !

I am sure that Monitor Chastisement, could be different --- see my previous posts.

I regret to say that I am under the impression, that Bryan Magee and I wento different schools in the 40s !!!

How many have found it to be a wonderful experience ? Those who still hate it -- might examine themselves ----------

(Discuss ?)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Magee also found it to be a wonderful experience (and not just because he had a full-blown affair with a nurse!).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

michael scuffil wrote:Magee also found it to be a wonderful experience (and not just because he had a full-blown affair with a nurse!).
I suppose that mught colour one's view, but I believe (From previous posts) that he had some horrid things to say about the School'.

I confess to having been madly in love with the Sicker Sister, at a distance -- and I am married to a highly qualified Nurse (Intensive care) who is great, if you are on a cardiac monitor, a ventilator and a drip, but not that sympathetic about minor ailments ---- "Pull youself together man !" :shock:

(Good job TBA doesn't read this !)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

So 'Nurses Uniform' is still order of the day on certain occasions, Neill ???????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I'm not sure whether dark blue Sister's uniform, without, these days, a bonnet, as when I met her--- would be allowed by TBA !!! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It's all changed these days, Neill.

Nurses no longer wear head attire. Arms bare to the elbow.

Doctors arms be also be bare to the elbow, preferably with short sleeved shirts. Doctors in hospitals doing examinations can no longer wear ties to prevent any chance of cross infection !

I must say, it does make doctors look a little less intimidating !
sejintenej
Button Grecian

sq for his descripotion ofv all the "custard" he removed fro

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:It's all changed these days, Neill.

Nurses no longer wear head attire. Arms bare to the elbow.

Doctors arms be also be bare to the elbow, preferably with short sleeved shirts. Doctors in hospitals doing examinations can no longer wear ties to prevent any chance of cross infection !

I must say, it does make doctors look a little less intimidating !
Not my experience. I had a minor operation about four years back and the doctor and surgeon were in suits and ties when they came to the ward before the op and after I woke up. The surgeon (I reckon he was of Ghanaian descent) had Presence; you couldn't imagine him being a student and, had the situation been different, he would have been very intimidating even in slacks and tee shirt.
As for the description of all the "custard" he removed from my poor body - hilarious!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

It's a fairly recent thing. Probably in the last 12 months or so.
tim stonhill
2nd Former

Post by tim stonhill »

Does anyone remember a master Dawes I think his name was. His middle finger on one hand had been broken at some time and had been set in a bent position. He smacked me in the mouth one day in class and this finger caught my front teeth and knocked one out. CH have paid for all dental work on this tooth for the last 40 years - and I can tell you it's thousands! Even now, living in Australia, they would still pay without question (I hope!).
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

tim stonhill wrote:Does anyone remember a master Dawes I think his name was. His middle finger on one hand had been broken at some time and had been set in a bent position. He smacked me in the mouth one day in class and this finger caught my front teeth and knocked one out. CH have paid for all dental work on this tooth for the last 40 years - and I can tell you it's thousands! Even now, living in Australia, they would still pay without question (I hope!).
Perhaps you are referring to "Daddy Dawes", he of the indian clubs? AFAIR he "taught" singing in the Prep and got very fearsome if you were flat or simply didn't understand what he was rabbitting on about. I don't remember the bent finger bit.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!