Graham Norton Show

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Graham Norton Show

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 pm
Otter wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:42 am The legend is alive and well.

I have Google alerts set up for CH and today this article came along:

https://leadership.ng/2019/07/28/nigeri ... sh-singer/
Any comment from Rockfreak, the fount of all pop music knowledge?
Maybe at a demo.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Taio Cruz......Tayo Popoola.....

NOT the same person!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I'm sorry, I'm just totally adrift of modern day pop music. These days I watch You Tube videos of old 60s and 70s acts that I grew up with. Tonight it was the Tedeschi Trucks Band: Susan Tedeschi who's a really good white US blues-styled singer who's been around for years, and Butch Trucks, one of several excellent guitarists that came through the Allman Brothers band. Complete with horn section and back-up singers. Sorry to be so unhelpful,
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 pm I'm sorry, I'm just totally adrift of modern day pop music. These days I watch You Tube videos of old 60s and 70s acts that I grew up with.
I find myself doing the same, partly because so little of today’s music appeals to me, being so derivative (OMG, I realize I sound like my great-aunt). On the other hand, I do sometimes run across artists like Johnathan Coulton and Susan Aglukark (a Canadian Inuit singer) who are refreshingly original.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

LongGone wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am
rockfreak wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 pm I'm sorry, I'm just totally adrift of modern day pop music. These days I watch You Tube videos of old 60s and 70s acts that I grew up with.
I find myself doing the same, partly because so little of today’s music appeals to me, being so derivative (OMG, I realize I sound like my great-aunt). On the other hand, I do sometimes run across artists like Johnathan Coulton and Susan Aglukark (a Canadian Inuit singer) who are refreshingly original.
A Canadian Inuit singer? That's quite original...
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:00 pm I'm sorry, I'm just totally adrift of modern day pop music. These days I watch You Tube videos of old 60s and 70s acts that I grew up with. Tonight it was the Tedeschi Trucks Band: Susan Tedeschi who's a really good white US blues-styled singer who's been around for years, and Butch Trucks, one of several excellent guitarists that came through the Allman Brothers band. Complete with horn section and back-up singers. Sorry to be so unhelpful,
[/

Far from being the fount of all knowledge, I discover that the Butch Trucks (now late) that I mentioned was actually the drummer in the Allman Bros Band when Confederate Rock was all the go in the 1970s while the guy currently playing with Tedeschi Trucks is his nephew Derek Trucks. But anyway Derek himself went on to play with the Allmans much later, being something of a child prodigy. And is now part of Tedsechi Trucks Band who are busy winning music industry awards. As you get older time telescopes, for music as well as technology. It's all moving too fast. I'm still stuck in a musical era which draws on rock n' roll, blues, country, soul etc.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Such a font of knowledge Freaky.

At least not about this so called present day musical cr@p.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

A new recent article on the legend from Sussex Live:

The prestigious West Sussex boarding school that's educated celebrities such as Taio Cruz and Jason Flemyng

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/susse ... uz-7271591

This saga is up there with Elvis being alive and McCartney being dead.
(N.B.: Taio Cruz later confirmed to NOT be an Old Blue...Mod, Sep 22)
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Otter wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:46 am A new recent article on the legend from Sussex Live:

The prestigious West Sussex boarding school that's educated celebrities such as Taio Cruz and Jason Flemyng

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/news/susse ... uz-7271591

This saga is up there with Elvis being alive and McCartney being dead.
So is Taio Cruz an Old Blue or not?
Judging by the extent of the Talk contributions to Cruz's Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Taio_Cruz), there's ongoing dispute about basic facts - such as Cruz's birth name and birth date - let alone where he was educated, so it seems unlikely that we'll get a definitive answer in the near future.
Meanwhile, the myths go on and on...
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Straz wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:20 am So is Taio Cruz an Old Blue or not?
Judging by the extent of the Talk contributions to Cruz's Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Taio_Cruz), there's ongoing dispute about basic facts - such as Cruz's birth name and birth date - let alone where he was educated, so it seems unlikely that we'll get a definitive answer in the near future.
I trust Ian, who is/was a long-serving CH teacher and might have crossed over towards the end of Taio's apparently hypothetical time at CH (which, born in April 1980, would have been 1991-1998):
onewestguncopse wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 pm He is not an old Blue. A member of my family works with him and can verify that!
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Otter wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:25 am
Straz wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:20 am So is Taio Cruz an Old Blue or not?
I trust Ian, who is/was a long-serving CH teacher and might have crossed over towards the end of Taio's apparently hypothetical time at CH (which, born in April 1980, would have been 1991-1998):
onewestguncopse wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 pm He is not an old Blue. A member of my family works with him and can verify that!

In which case, I think something needs to be done about it. Sussex Live has recently given more credibility to this myth by posting their piece, which appears to be incorrect. I will get in touch with Taio's press contact to clarify where he was educated, and we'll take it from there.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

It's official.
Taio Cruz did not, repeat NOT, attend Christ's Hospital.
I have had this fact confirmed by Floss Buckle, a management assistant on Taio's team.
Here is her email, which I received today (7 September 2022).

Hi Paul,

I was forwarded your message as I’m on Taio’s management team.
Confirming that Wikipedia is incorrect – Taio did not attend Christ’s Hospital.

Thanks,
Floss

Floss Buckle
Management Assistant
Lateral Management

----------------------------------------

So, that's cleared that mystery up.
I'm now going to email Thomas Fox, the writer of the recent piece on Sussex Live, to point out the error that's been perpetuated, and hope that his online piece can be amended.
And I'm going to flag it up on the Wikipedia Talk section and see if that can be amended as well.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75