School Prospectus

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: School Prospectus

Post by Katharine »

kerrensimmonds wrote: At least they have reintroduced The Votum (the Carmen to Hertford Old Blues) - but it was interesting to see how many of the participants were singing it from the words on the programme. In my day...... yes.... we had to learn it by heart! (although there is a Horsham-specific verse which we did not have at Hertford)
Last month we were in Turkey and when we visited some of the sites of ancient cities we saw the palaestrae immediately the words artes palaestrae floreant came into my mind. (That was the verse we had instead of being clad in blue in a spacious land or summat). I was somewhat amused by the guide's description that the palaestra was where such sports as boxing and wrestling took place - we were always told it was more ladylike gymnastics!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Re: School Prospectus

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I haven't visited the unofficial forum for a while and just came by to thank everybody at the school for the lovely Sunday Half Hour tonight...and saw that there is a prospectus thread.

I thought it ( Prospectus ) was fairly horrible and didn't really describe the ethos of the school as I understood it.
I wondered why it had been produced in such an apparently expensive way...and although I was grateful to get it, I wondered why?? I could only think that it was so I could " do all I can to enable others to enjoy the same advantage" ....so then I thought...who could I show this prospectus to?...where could I leave it to be read ?...and I realised that it made the school seem to be beyond the reach of anyone I know and I thought I would actually be EMBARRASSED to show it to my colleagues at work for example ( nothing to do with the Tudor uniform and everything to do with the school seeming to be only for an elite ). There is nowhere within my world suitable for that prospectus and nobody I know who could access it.

Also, is it just me ?, who felt that the "religious" aspect of the foundation was massively understated , that is to say hardly mentioned at all ( to the point where they might have liked to change the NAME of the school, always a bit of a give-away, to avoid embarrassment)....no photos of the chapel ( except as part of the birds eye view).
...so , the Foundation is apparently not religious, not charitable...so, just Royal and Ancient then...I cringed.

There should not be a special prospectus for Full Fee paying students. Same for everybody. Start as you mean to go on. I do agree that students who have had an advantaged start in life may have much to offer the school and likewise the school has much to offer them....and what the school can REALLY offer them should be emphasised in a prospectus....the chance to share their lives and experience with young people from very different walks of life and the true learning that this offers them.