Is There Such a Thing as CH Merchandise?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Is There Such a Thing as CH Merchandise?

Post by anniexf »

Angela Pratt 56-63 wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:.......... and don't forget the strategically placed piece of thread tied around the chain of the bath plug to indicate the permitted water level during the Suez Crisis!
In 8's we didn't have a thread then, it was a black line drawn all round the bath (goodness knows what with..) which made you notice it but stayed for ages!
Angela, I don't recall a black line at all, but I distictly remember a piece of red thread attached to the bath chain, very near the plug end! I can't imagine Mrs. Coveney allowing something as naff as drawing a line in the bath, she was far too particular - maybe this memory you have is from somewhere else?
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I'm hyperventilating at the thought of how hard it would have been to get all of the soap scum off without removing any of the black line. The good old 'lose no matter how hard I tried' experience.

I have no pleasant olfactory memories of Hertford, but several nauseatingly awful ones:

the extraordinary smell of the upstairs loos (courtesy of the incinerator and its contents?)

the kitchens while spud bashing on Sunday mornings

the History Room (idiosyncratic, if not actually nauseating)

Gumption

Brasso

Hot Snot! Re-encountered while exploring Hampton Court with Mary Mc during my last trip to UK. I think that it came from a mock up of a Tudor cooking pot.

and fish mornay, of course. Sorry - off to throw up .......................
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I'm hyperventilating at the thought of how hard it would have been to get all of the soap scum off without removing any of the black line. The good old 'lose no matter how hard I tried' experience.

I have no pleasant olfactory memories of Hertford, but several nauseatingly awful ones:

the extraordinary smell of the upstairs loos (courtesy of the incinerator and its contents?)

the kitchens while spud bashing on Sunday mornings

the History Room (idiosyncratic, if not actually nauseating)

Gumption

Brasso

Hot Snot! Re-encountered while exploring Hampton Court with Mary Mc during my last trip to UK. I think that it came from a mock up of a Tudor cooking pot.

and fish mornay, of course. Sorry - off to throw up .......................

I'm tempted to join you after reading some of your memories.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

anniexf wrote:
Fjgrogan wrote:.......... and don't forget the strategically placed piece of thread tied around the chain of the bath plug to indicate the permitted water level during the Suez Crisis!
In 8's we didn't have a thread then, it was a black line drawn all round the bath (goodness knows what with..) which made you notice it but stayed for ages!
Angela, I don't recall a black line at all, but I distictly remember a piece of red thread attached to the bath chain, very near the plug end! I can't imagine Mrs. Coveney allowing something as naff as drawing a line in the bath, she was far too particular - maybe this memory you have is from somewhere else?
Ann it was definitely( I think...) at Hertford, I can remember a friend's concern with cleaning, but maybe it was a different occasion....but can't think what that would be! (unless you're the one who's forgotten.....! - at our age it could be either of us!)
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

anniexf wrote:
Ann it was definitely( I think...) at Hertford, I can remember a friend's concern with cleaning, but maybe it was a different occasion....but can't think what that would be! (unless you're the one who's forgotten.....! - at our age it could be either of us!)

Angela, you started in a Junior Ward in September 1956, didn't you? The Suez crisis began in July 1956. I believe you joined 8s in September 1957, so your memory could have been of the Junior Ward?
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

time please wrote:lol! What about an index for us who hated the place and or where destroyed by being there. I cannot believe that being at CH was the best thing that happened for every pupil.
Whoever said it was?
Play up Pompey!
Karl Thompson
2nd Former

Post by Karl Thompson »

dsmg wrote:Whoever said it was?
Our founders and benefactors, by whose charitable benevolence thou hast refreshed our bodies at this time.

(and no, that reply wasn't intended as a pun on the name Grace)