Anyone In Your House With You Now In The Public Eye?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Anyone In Your House With You Now In The Public Eye?

Post by Mid A 15 »

I can claim three:

Nigel Farrell pops up regularly on the box. In all honesty he was a year or two older than me so I probably didn't exchange more than about five words with him!

Greg Strange is someone I knew a bit better as, although he was older, I was in the scouts with him. Greg regularly pops up as the BBC's rallying correspondent and many years ago read the news on Capital radio.

Simon Keyes is the older brother of my good friend Tim. Back in the seventies he worked for Shelter, the charity for the homeless. Whenever the media interviewed someone about problems with the homeless at that time it was normally Simon.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't think any of my year/ house are famous as yet, although Andrew Higgins plays rugby for Bath (I think) and Lousie Wilson invented a handbag where it can only be opened by the user with their fingerprint...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Apparently Andrew Higgins has just been called into the England Rugby squad for the Churchill Cup in Canada - could be on his way to his first cap.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:Apparently Andrew Higgins has just been called into the England Rugby squad for the Churchill Cup in Canada - could be on his way to his first cap.
Good effort on his part then!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Yup, good luck to him.

Here's the article from the Bath website -

http://www.bathrugby.com/asp/news/newsitem.asp?id=4247
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Good news about Higgins being in the England Squad. PF Higgins was a junior housemaster in Mid A when I entered the house.

Has Housey ever had a senior rugby international?

What happened to the other Housey guy that played for England Schools at the same time as Higgins? Does he still play and if so for whom?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think you must mean Elijah Sobanjo - I don't know what he's doing now...
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

which is odd, seeing as the school once proclaimed a holiday in his name...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:which is odd, seeing as the school once proclaimed a holiday in his name...
They had to think of something... at the time the SOuth Africa cricket tour was leaving a day before the end of term - taking with it 3 housemasters I think so us leaving early meant that the school needed to finish a day early!
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Rupert Thomson is now a novelist published by Bloomsbury Publishing
The last book was - Divided Kingdom
The most autobiographical - Dreams of Leaving
He also wrote - The Insult, The Five Gates of Hell, Soft, Air and Fire

Roger "Bodger" Highfield is a top sciece writer for the broadsheet newspapers and probably appears on TV though I've never seen him there
dogger
2nd Former

Post by dogger »

Apparently there`s a quite famous concert pianist at the school now - she`s probably Dep or Grecian by now. Stroke of luck for Music.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

There was a guy on my year called Leo Gregory who is an up and coming actor. I remember on our 3rd form he was in some crappy adaptation of a Danielle steele novel (or something similar). I've seen him in a commercial for a mod compilation :shock: and also in a made for tv film about a kid in juvenile detention, in which he was actually quite good (apparently compared to a young De Niro in one review).

I believe he is playing Brian Jones in an as yet unreleased movie about the aforementioned icon's life and death.

Not bad for someone who got kicked out on his UF, I suppose
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

graham wrote:There was a guy on my year called Leo Gregory who is an up and coming actor. I remember on our 3rd form he was in some crappy adaptation of a Danielle steele novel (or something similar). I've seen him in a commercial for a mod compilation :shock: and also in a made for tv film about a kid in juvenile detention, in which he was actually quite good (apparently compared to a young De Niro in one review).

I believe he is playing Brian Jones in an as yet unreleased movie about the aforementioned icon's life and death.

Not bad for someone who got kicked out on his UF, I suppose
Seems EXACTLY right that someone kicked out should play Brian Jones

If BJ hadn't died when he did I am sure Jagger would have kicked him out of the Stones
srcudlipp
3rd Former

Post by srcudlipp »

In my year in Mid B we had Ben Todd, who I last saw as the showbiz reporter for the daily Star.

And in Lamb B we had Simon D'Arcy , who is now known as James Darcy. He's doing quite well in acting - played Nicholas Nickleby on BBC & in Master & Commander with Russell Crowe.
Mid B / A 1984 - 1989
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

srcudlipp wrote:In my year in Mid B we had Ben Todd, who I last saw as the showbiz reporter for the daily Star.

And in Lamb B we had Simon D'Arcy , who is now known as James Darcy. He's doing quite well in acting - played Nicholas Nickleby on BBC & in Master & Commander with Russell Crowe.
I know I am off the thread but I used to have a neighbour with the surname Cudlipp - any chance you might be related?