"The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
John Knight
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:19 am
Location: Surrey

"The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by John Knight »

I have just received my copy of 'The Blue - 2012'.
The cover photograph makes me think that the school is ashamed of the 'Broadie Buckle'.
Why is it being worn at the back?
Why does the school not enforce a proper dress code?
It really makes me angry... it is a nice buckle... and should be worn in the correct manner.
As I have said before.. "If you have to wear a uniform, wear it correctly"
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952
User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15811
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by J.R. »

I too have received my copy this afternoon, though haven't had a chance to read it yet.

I too, despair at the slackness of dress and condition of shoes in these current times, as has been stated on this site before.

It would never of happened in my day, or at least not without severe punishment.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian
Posts: 1612
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:53 pm
Real Name: michael scuffil
Location: germany

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by michael scuffil »

Nor John, would you have [sic] been allowed to write 'would never of' without severe punishment. A double detention I think.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15811
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:Nor John, would you have [sic] been allowed to write 'would never of' without severe punishment. A double detention I think.

Not at my age ! I'm exempt !

Jan and I were in Horsham a few weeks ago, and saw a couple in Housey dress.

The shoes were a disgrace ! I was going to 'have a word', but thought better of it !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by YadaYada »

The shoes were a disgrace
Agreed. DS brought his home in a shocking state. He has shoe cleaning kit at school but when questioned says he only does it if there are special occasions. No-one ever mentions the state of his shoes.

Now clean and gleaming for return to school.
User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 3145
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by Mid A 15 »

michael scuffil wrote:Nor John, would you have [sic] been allowed to write 'would never of' without severe punishment. A double detention I think.
I would throw in a School Drill and double mile too!

You should know better John :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15811
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by J.R. »

I'm not rising to the bait !

I just hope someone 'in authority' at CH reads this thread and asks HM to ensure clean shoes - Especially when going off-premises.

I was horrified.

When we were issued with new shoes, many of us in Coleridge B would spend many an hour doing the good old army bulling with spit and polish.

So very easy to get a shine back on a rainy or snowy day.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:46 am

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by CHDad »

Ah the good old days when we had Hitler, Diptheria and Rickets ! :wink:

Only joking - the only time my sons shoes are cleaned is when I do them! Since the 2nd form he has had a shoe cleaning kit, as yet unopened!
User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15811
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by J.R. »

CHDad wrote:Ah the good old days when we had Hitler, Diptheria and Rickets ! :wink:

Only joking - the only time my sons shoes are cleaned is when I do them! Since the 2nd form he has had a shoe cleaning kit, as yet unopened!
I rest my case, Me L'ud !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 pm
Real Name: Bill Harwood
Location: France

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by Goatherd »

Nevertheless, I'd still rather see dirty shoes than read "It would never of happened". Sorry. But, after all, this isn't the Daily Mail!
Goatherd
User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15811
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by J.R. »

Goatherd wrote:Nevertheless, I'd still rather see dirty shoes than read "It would never of happened". Sorry. But, after all, this isn't the Daily Mail!

Now't wrong with the Daily Mail.

A good old fashioned right-wing newspaper.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian
Posts: 1612
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:53 pm
Real Name: michael scuffil
Location: germany

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by michael scuffil »

Let's get back to attire...

The fashion for buckles at the back is just that, a fashion. In the famous Ackermann print of the Grecian, he has his cuffs not turned back, but buttoned over his hands. Presumably that was the fashion too.

The thing about uncleaned shoes is different. I take it from this that daily shoe inspections are no longer held. It would also appear that the school doesn't provide shoe-cleaning kit. (Not that it would cost anything -- brushes last for 100 years, and there were plenty of them 50 years ago.) That's bad enough, but it means these kids will not get into the habit of polishing their shoes when they grow up.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
User avatar
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 12:12 pm
Real Name: Robert Griffiths
Location: Havant

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by postwarblue »

In my day we had to show up our shoes to the duty monitor every evening.

But when I 'went back' forty years ago Housey shoes were already a disgrace , what's changed?

As we used to say in the Navy, the wind don't blow the way it used to.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:56 pm
Real Name: Frances Grogan (nee Haley)
Location: Surbiton, Surrey

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by Fjgrogan »

I agree with all the above comments about shoe cleaning. At Hertford our shoes were inspected as we marched into dining hall for breakfast. If they were not up to scratch they had to be repolished immediately after breakfast and 'passed' by one of the seniors. We each had our own shoe cleaning kit. I still use the same brushes today, clearly labelled with my name and house number. Polishing shoes helps them to last longer - many of my shoes are very old, but have been well looked after, and classic in style so that they will not go out of fashion. Today it is the custom to replace rather repair and replenish - we live in an age when everything seems to be expendable. As a family we are not so fussy on a daily basis, but certainly we all acknowledge that shoes that are worn as part of a uniform should be polished.

What puzzles me about the cover picture of the magazine is the fact that they are all carrying umbrellas in the cloisters Why? Please don't try to claim that it is to protect the drum - imagine a whole band with an umbrella-carrier marching behind each drummer!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15811
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: "The Blue 2012" - Oh Dear...

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:I agree with all the above comments about shoe cleaning. At Hertford our shoes were inspected as we marched into dining hall for breakfast. If they were not up to scratch they had to be repolished immediately after breakfast and 'passed' by one of the seniors. We each had our own shoe cleaning kit. I still use the same brushes today, clearly labelled with my name and house number. Polishing shoes helps them to last longer - many of my shoes are very old, but have been well looked after, and classic in style so that they will not go out of fashion. Today it is the custom to replace rather repair and replenish - we live in an age when everything seems to be expendable. As a family we are not so fussy on a daily basis, but certainly we all acknowledge that shoes that are worn as part of a uniform should be polished.

What puzzles me about the cover picture of the magazine is the fact that they are all carrying umbrellas in the cloisters Why? Please don't try to claim that it is to protect the drum - imagine a whole band with an umbrella-carrier marching behind each drummer!

Maybe they are going to be on sale ?

To be honest, I think they look very good !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Post Reply