Ballroom and other dancing at Horsham

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Ballroom and other dancing at Horsham

Post by alterblau »

About 50 years ago there were informal ballroom dancing classes for senior boys (Grecians only?) who wanted to learn to dance. Volunteer females sometimes attended the classes to assist and to dance the women’s steps. I think the senior groundsman’s wife and a few others, like young trainee dieticians, helped out in this way. But it was also necessary that pairs of boys had to dance together in order to learn. In those days there was no insinuation that this was anything other than an innocent solution to a simple problem. (Without knowing for sure, I suspect that such a thing could not happen today amongst heterosexual males, for the media are forever making us aware of the different sexual orientations! Yet I do have a friend who practises social Scottish folk dancing. This is done in groups of eight, with participants of all ages [It’s not the solo Highland stuff with crossed swords]. She tells me that since a large majority of the dancer enthusiasts are women, many of them need to learn and to dance the men’s steps for the lessons and balls, so that maximum numbers can take part. Apart from this being a comment not directly relevant to CH, I do vaguely remember some sort of folk dancing was also practised at Housey around my time.)

Oh for the happy, innocent, long lost days of the foxtrot, quickstep, Valeta, Lambeth Walk, and many others, presumably now long since ignored and forgotten! That ballroom dancing presumably imparted social skills, essential for post-Housey life. Those classes also prepared boys for a termly ball with nearby girls’ public schools (often St Catherine’s at Bramley, Surrey and sometimes Roedean, near Brighton). They were sometimes quite elaborate formal dances. Occasionally, if there was enough local talent and enthusiasm, the music was supplied by a Housey group (or jazz band as it was called then). Later there were Leaving Grecians’ dances too. Today’s girls in residence mean there is no problem for female partners when learning to dance. But more importantly the general availability of girls perhaps makes such social gatherings seem almost mundane, compared with near-worship of girls by CH’s sex-starved young men of so long ago.

Did any readers participate or do they recall these events? Is there anything similar done today at the ‘balls’, or today is all of Housey’s social dancing the sort of individual and rhythmic (non ballroom) movements that is seen on contemporary films, with only body shaking, etc, and without any set steps and formations? (I don’t “dance” any more.) Did the girls have such dances at Hertford? Is there any folk dancing offered in today’s CH curriculum, or leisure activities?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Ballroom and other dancing at Horsham

Post by Mid A 15 »

alterblau wrote:About 50 years ago there were informal ballroom dancing classes for senior boys (Grecians only?) who wanted to learn to dance. Volunteer females sometimes attended the classes to assist and to dance the women’s steps. I think the senior groundsman’s wife and a few others, like young trainee dieticians, helped out in this way. But it was also necessary that pairs of boys had to dance together in order to learn. In those days there was no insinuation that this was anything other than an innocent solution to a simple problem. (Without knowing for sure, I suspect that such a thing could not happen today amongst heterosexual males, for the media are forever making us aware of the different sexual orientations! Yet I do have a friend who practises social Scottish folk dancing. This is done in groups of eight, with participants of all ages [It’s not the solo Highland stuff with crossed swords]. She tells me that since a large majority of the dancer enthusiasts are women, many of them need to learn and to dance the men’s steps for the lessons and balls, so that maximum numbers can take part. Apart from this being a comment not directly relevant to CH, I do vaguely remember some sort of folk dancing was also practised at Housey around my time.)

Oh for the happy, innocent, long lost days of the foxtrot, quickstep, Valeta, Lambeth Walk, and many others, presumably now long since ignored and forgotten! That ballroom dancing presumably imparted social skills, essential for post-Housey life. Those classes also prepared boys for a termly ball with nearby girls’ public schools (often St Catherine’s at Bramley, Surrey and sometimes Roedean, near Brighton). They were sometimes quite elaborate formal dances. Occasionally, if there was enough local talent and enthusiasm, the music was supplied by a Housey group (or jazz band as it was called then). Later there were Leaving Grecians’ dances too. Today’s girls in residence mean there is no problem for female partners when learning to dance. But more importantly the general availability of girls perhaps makes such social gatherings seem almost mundane, compared with near-worship of girls by CH’s sex-starved young men of so long ago.

Did any readers participate or do they recall these events? Is there anything similar done today at the ‘balls’, or today is all of Housey’s social dancing the sort of individual and rhythmic (non ballroom) movements that is seen on contemporary films, with only body shaking, etc, and without any set steps and formations? (I don’t “dance” any more.) Did the girls have such dances at Hertford? Is there any folk dancing offered in today’s CH curriculum, or leisure activities?
I left just over 40 years ago and have no recollection of hearing about or participating in dance classes.

I'm afraid my dancing is limited to the occasional beer fuelled "dad dancing" session as my daughters describe my rare efforts.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

There was a fixture in the calendar once a year ca.1950s 'Grecians Dance vs Bramley - away' or 'home'. I'm not aware that there was any system of lessons, one just trod all over the poor girls' feet until it was time to put them back in their bus again. I expect the more 'advanced' boys got more out of it than I did. I think it may have been part of trying to ensure that leavers were not sent out into the world as complete barbarians. I suppose this was why one was also invited to dinner by the Headmaster.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fitzsadou »

There were indeed such dancing classes, held in the Court Room. They were organised by D Chaundy, junior housemaster in BaA I think. He was a strange chap who taught physics, not that physics is particularly strange. He was also very keen on folk dancing, sometimes taught English folk dancing to interested boys, and I believe for a time directed a group of boys who performed Morris dances in costume at CH and elsewhere.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I certainly remember dancing instruction in the late 50s/early 60s, and going to Bramley for dances. There was also a yearly dance where you could invite a friend, which was a very stressful procedure, but my outstanding memory was winning the prize for the couple with the largest combined foot size!.
Morris dancing was done in this same time period. The main memory I have is having to drag my brother away since he could not contain his mirth and was getting some very annoyed glances.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As leaver in 1963, I can't remember any dancing instruction.

I know my mother insisted I take lessons at home in Dorking which convinced me I absolutely HATE ball-room dancing.

I can just about manage a waltz, if absolutely required.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

There were certainly dancing classes for Grecians in the Court Room in the early 60s, in preparation for the Grecians' Dance (with Bramley, as noted). And females on the estate were roped in (or gladly volunteered) to help. I know of one intense relationship which started thus, and the couple in question, you will be delighted to hear, are still married. The girl was a Norwegian student au pair who worked in the kitchen. She had to get the Lady Superintendent's permission (this was before she knew who she might get hitched to).

I didn't know Chaundy (Blotto) ran them. But everyone knew of his school Morris dancing troupe, which performed all over West Sussex at village fetes and the like, under the name of the Arun Men. I remember him once advertising for a 'Fool', adding at the bottom: 'Naturals' are not usually suitable.

Some houses also held dancing classes for seniors generally. John Page ran one in ThB. These were necessarily single sex.

When we took the school play A Midsummer Night's Dream to Holland, the Dutch were bemused to find no actresses. We played the authenticity card -- because WS would have had an all-male cast too, with girls being played by pre-pubertal boys.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

There was indeed dancing at Hertford! We learned ballroom dancing and had an annual dance on Founders Day. In my early days at Hertford we wore school uniform and danced with staff and our friends or (daringly) - with our "cracks". In the early 60's we were allowed to wear a dress of our own for the evening, but still our school indoor shoes.
We also suffered with country dancing. If it was truly foul weather we had country dancing in the Gym instead of "all-out". This was presided over by Park and King and was grim IMO!
Last edited by seajayuu on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pab5967
2nd Former

Post by pab5967 »

I remember only too well ballroom dancing at Hertford. We had lessons, and for me all steps learned were male as I always seemed to be too tall to be a 'girl'. This has caused a few difficulties in later life as I only ever seem to dance backwards, and tend to get hold of the male the wrong way round!! Ahh well it could be worse I suppose. We learned the Valeta, St Bernard's waltz, Gay Gordons and others which I am afraid I can't remember
I remember too that the lessons were in order to prepare us for an annual dance which took place in the School Hall, when girls gathered and queued up to dance with members of staff. This was something that I managed to avoid thankfully, but I do have a recollection of a swirling Miss Wilson in a nice tartan number.
How much this prepared me for later life I am unsure, but at least I had the rudiments of the waltz and the foxtrot!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

I'm reminded of the dance scene in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Fitzsadou wrote:There were indeed such dancing classes, held in the Court Room. They were organised by D Chaundy, junior housemaster in BaA I think. He was a strange chap who taught physics, not that physics is particularly strange. He was also very keen on folk dancing, sometimes taught English folk dancing to interested boys, and I believe for a time directed a group of boys who performed Morris dances in costume at CH and elsewhere.
I have photos of Chaundy (it was BaA), playing and directing others waving their hankies in the quad. I think they are in the box I am taking to the CH museum now that my term is over.
My cousin plays the flute for his Morris Dancing players, last seen on the bridge in Guildford.
I did country dancing at my primary school and maybe the junior school, but can remember nothing from CH.
However, my sister was a professional dancer at the Palladium, so I was soon convinced that my standard fell well below the acceptable level for me to get on the dance floor.
My late brother was a very accomplished salsa dancer, as was my son, before ACL injuries on both knees took him out of dance circulation, so I assume that the dance genes were dealt elsewhere in my family.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Chaundy was one of the nicest teachers at CH during my time. Does anyone know if he is still alive?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

LongGone wrote:I certainly remember dancing instruction in the late 50s/early 60s, and going to Bramley for dances. There was also a yearly dance where you could invite a friend, which was a very stressful procedure, but my outstanding memory was winning the prize for the couple with the largest combined foot size!.
Morris dancing was done in this same time period. The main memory I have is having to drag my brother away since he could not contain his mirth and was getting some very annoyed glances.
Certainly I remember and took part in the lessons which covered the waltz, quickstep, foxtrot (which I could never really "get") plus "old time" dances such as the Valeta and also the Eightsome Reel - a Scottish dance popular in them thar days. ISTR there were also some Latin dances - where else did I learn the Cha Cha Cha and Samba? (No - no Tango unfortunately - that might have been considered too sensual for those days). It was only later in life that I had to learn more current and useful dances like the Puta Puta, Highlife and Lambada.! I knew/remember nothing about Bramley but there was the annual Grecians Ball in Housey uniform to which LongGone refers which I remember very well - how innocent I was then. I know that my dance partner (not the Norwegian lady referred to) went on to marry an OB.

As for house teaching, Col A suffered / enjoyed the presence of Mr Potts - the output or survivor of some Scottish institution - who held Scottish Dancing classes in the dormitory. I'm not sure if I can remember them all now. Again, he avoided the sword blades.

Even though such dances seem to have gone by the board I do think they were one of (or perhaps the only) civilising influence during my time.
Martin
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Martin »

It was Mrs Len Bates who helped with the dancing classes and she was a very competent ballroom dancer. Her husband was the cricket professional on the CH staff and he had previously played for Worcestershire. They had a son in Lamb B.

DC Chaundy had two degrees, in maths from Oxford and in physics from London. After leaving CH he married, became a father and went to teach physics at Malvern College. Presumably he retired a while ago. I believe that he is still living in that part of the world.

As for Hertford dancing, during the 50s and 60s I remember hearing at Horsham that every year the girls of CH Hertford received an invitation to a dance from a nearby public school (Haileybury perhaps), but that Miss Dorothy West, the headmistress, always declined. Was this a rumour or possibly true?
Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Angela Pratt »

True originally (Yes it was Haileybury) but finally it did occur once or twice....