Buglers

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Buglers

Post by Kit Bartlett »

When I joined CH in 1941 Buglers daily used to play the school into the Dining Hall at tea time, standing on the steps of the Quad statue. I believe that the practice was discontinued shortly after this period as I do not recall that it was still done in 1947 .
Does anyone know if it was ever reinstated ?
AKAP
Grecian

Re: Buglers

Post by AKAP »

They played throughout my time at CH 65-72. A haunting (but fond) memory of them playing on dark winter's evenings.
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Seriously, Andy ? I have no recollection of that at all.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Certainly up to 1963, which was my final 'Last Post' at the 'Retreat'.

I'm wondering if they were scrapped after 'Bill' Bailey retired.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Every evening as we marched in to tea. I believe there was a row one night after they rocked into 'Marching Strings' or some such. CH had a big downer on anything modern or jazzy in music.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

Buglers played on many evenings for tea parade between 1948 and 1955. We used to take it in turns. Francis Warner and I think one of the Ind brothers were particularly adept at swinging some of the calls. I was occasionally allowed to join them on trumpet. The mouth- piece on a bugle is most uncomfortable!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

As JR says, and he was a bugler himself, definitely up to 1963 (and, it would appear, for some years after that). In fact probably until tea parade was abolished (which was certainly before 1974, but I don't know when).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

HowardH wrote:Seriously, Andy ? I have no recollection of that at all.
Now you've got me worried Howard. I think I have a distinct memory of this. We need Andy Miller back on here to give us his memories as well. Haven't heard from him recently.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

AKAP wrote:
Now you've got me worried Howard. I think I have a distinct memory of this. We need Andy Miller back on here to give us his memories as well. Haven't heard from him recently.
Yes I too recall buglers at tea parade but not every day.

A couple of times a week I think. Tuesday and Friday just came to mind but I could be making that up.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Mid A 15 wrote:
AKAP wrote:
Yes I too recall buglers at tea parade but not every day.

A couple of times a week I think. Tuesday and Friday just came to mind but I could be making that up.
The Bu(n)gle Band played on Tuesdays and Fridays, but apart from them playing on the Statute at the retreat, I can't remember them playing at the Tea Parade, But JR has a better memory. Besides which, he bu(n)gled.
Now it appears to be a "Junior" band that plays on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Poignant film of the late Richard Slater blowing Last Post on Songs of Praise....
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

The Bugle Band played for Dinner Parade on Fridays instead of the main band I think - the tea parade just had three buglers standing by the E VI non-founting fountain.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

John Saunders wrote:Buglers played on many evenings for tea parade between 1948 and 1955. We used to take it in turns. Francis Warner and I think one of the Ind brothers were particularly adept at swinging some of the calls. I was occasionally allowed to join them on trumpet. The mouth- piece on a bugle is most uncomfortable!
Larger and much fatter. You were less likely to split a lip playing top C with a bugle mouthpiece.

I know there was some controversy over the band being allowed to play 'St. Louis Blues', (circa Glen Miller), during my time.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:
John Saunders wrote:Buglers played on many evenings for tea parade between 1948 and 1955. We used to take it in turns. Francis Warner and I think one of the Ind brothers were particularly adept at swinging some of the calls. I was occasionally allowed to join them on trumpet. The mouth- piece on a bugle is most uncomfortable!
Larger and much fatter. You were less likely to split a lip playing top C with a bugle mouthpiece.

I know there was some controversy over the band being allowed to play 'St. Louis Blues', (circa Glen Miller), during my time.
I remember playing it along with some others of that era.
Maybe it was the Bob Sillett influence.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

I have a memory of taking a bugle to CCF Camp at Shorncliffe where band members were required to perform daily calls. Or is it my imagination based on another school which took their pathetic bugle band on parade. Epsom comes to mind. By the way how many calls require top C-even trumpet
emboucheres as well padded as the mouthpiece may be, are rarely required to crack that height. To quote one jazz great who was criticised for not reaching for the higher register "Get yourself a piccolo player!"