CH cross-Channel Regatta, July 11-14

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

CH cross-Channel Regatta, July 11-14

Post by DavebytheSea »

Christ's Hospital Cruising and Sailing Club Regatta 11-14 July, 2014 Dartmouth/St Peter Port, Guernsey

Whatever your experience, do please consider participating in this event. We are not looking for great experience (although some of you will have more experience than others!)– all yachts are skippered by fully competent yachtsmen who are well used to passing on their skills to novices. Other than a small contribution towards fuel and mooring charges there will be no basic charge for participation.

The draft programme is as follows:
Friday 11 July - Participants gather in Dartmouth
Drinks/Registration/reception at the Yacht Club
Saturday 12 - Cruise in company (to Slapton / Brixham / Dittisham or wherever) depending on weather
Dinner at the Yacht Club
Sunday 13 Special cross-Channel handicap event to St Peter Port Guernsey.
Monday 14 – afternoon cruise to Herm
Dinner and Prizegiving at St Peter Port Yacht Club

We now have four boats attending with a maximum capacity of 20 OBs (excluding skippers) as crew. I am still working on getting more boats. As the number of berths is limited, applicants for places will be accepted strictly on a ‘first come first served’ basis.

More participating boats are urgently needed. If you know somebody who might be able to help, please let me know.

As well as Moonshot we have three other yachts: special thanks to Mark Stevenson, Outrageous; Martin Crick Harmony of Hamble; and Robert Hichens, Panacea. (Robert is not an Old Blue, but a very experienced skipper who is making himself and his boat available to support our regatta.) At present, should you have a preference for Outrageous, Moonshot, Harmony of Hamble or Panacea, I will try to meet it, but there are no promises. Outrageous is a Swan 49 (49' - 8 berth), Moonshot, a Twister 28 (28' - 4 berth), Harmony a Westerly Griffon (26' - 5/6 berth) and Panacea a Trident Voyager (35' – 5/6 berth). I will try and email more information about all the boats in due course.

All four boats will have to sail from their home port to Dartmouth and ultimately return from Guernsey and will need crewing on these legs as well as the actual regatta. A minimum of two days will be needed each side of the Regatta for this, although Moonshot may well potter over to Sark and Jersey before returning home via St Malo and the N. Brittany coast. Departure points for the existing boats are the Hamble, Gosport and Falmouth. When you email me with your acceptance of this offer, please could indicate whether you would be up for helping getting the boats to Dartmouth or back from Guernsey. If you fancy the more extended cruise on Moonshot please give me a call - you do not necessarily have to sail on her during the regatta if you are interested in this.

In order to confirm serious intent, I am asking you all to send £15 immediately your berth is approved. This will go towards provisioning and, in the unlikely event of any surplus, towards modest prizes (or the Benevolent Society of Blues).

If you have any questions or suggestions, please give me a ring. Thanks to Polly Muir, I have the makings of a reception Committee in St Peter Port; should anyone know of a similar group of Old Blues in the Dartmouth area, I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Best Wishes

David

David Eastburn - Commodore CHC&SC (MdA 47-55)
Cliffside, 54 Trefusis Rd., Flushing, FALMOUTH,Cornwall. TR11 5UB
Tel: 01326 374237 Mobile: 0798 457 1052
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: CH cross-Channel Regatta, July 11-14

Post by J.R. »

Give my love to St Peter Port.

I still have one cousin resident there. Guernsey was like a second home to me in my younger days.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

CH C&SC Regatta, 2014

6 yachts about 30 OBs and counting.

Gerald Harris (ColA 56-63) has been able to offer himself and Vigornia, his wonderful Halberg-Rassey 36, for our Regatta. He is based in Dartmouth and his crew will join there on 11 July and return there sometime on Wednesday July 16. Will you be there to sail with him?

This is believed to be the first-ever alumni cross-Channel Regatta by any school association, so it is your chance to make history. A great adventure at virtually no cost (share of food etc), this is open to all with Housey connections. The crews include about half a dozen current Blues and a range in age from them to me (76). No previous sailing experience is required. The Deputy Head, Thomas Lawson, will reply to the Housey Toast at the prizegiving dinner in St Peter Port.

Time is short, but we need to do our very best to fill the boat with a fine Housey crew. I am therefore asking you whether you can persuade any friend of yours - current or Old Blue, member of Staff or Friend of CH to join us at this late notice. For those who mistakenly believe that Old Blues just reminisce (and I have seen anniefx's posting re the Charge), this gives the lie. Some of us at least believe we have more to share than mere memories.

Give me a ring on 0798 457 1052 or message me if you or someone you know would like more information.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

This weekend the first of 6 yachts crewed by Old Blues will start making its way towards Dartmouth for the first-ever cross-Channel regatta organised by any school alumni organisation. We all meet up in Dartmouth on 11 July and sail for St Peter Port on Sunday 13. Deputy Headmaster Thomas Lawson will reply to the Housey Toast and present the prizes at the Guernsey Yacht Club at Dinner on Monday 14 July.

Regatta 2014 - participants with houses and dates

Arthur Tom 07-14 GrE
Birmingham Marcus 06-13 MaA/MdA
Brougham John 48-56 PrepB/MaA
Calder-Brown Simon 57-65 MaA
Corker-Marin Jasper 08-15 Dep
Corker-Marin Quentin 07-14 GrE
Crick Martin 78-85 LHB/LaA
Dienes Harry 02-09 ThB/ThA
Durnford Clare 89-96 LHB
Eastburn David 47-55 PrepB/MdA
Elliott Natalie 96-03 BaB/GrE
Harris Gerald 56-63 ColA
Lawson Thomas 13- Deputy Head Master
Maddren Paul 74-09 Staff
Manly Peter 53-62 PrepB/PeA/PeB
McCraith Lily 12-14 ColB/GrW
Muir Polly 65-73 8s
Peskett Dan 91-98 PeB/ThA
Poole Alexandra 06-13 ThB/ThA/GrW
Reckless Fred 06-13 MaA/GrE
Simon Jeremy 49-56 ThB
Stevenson Mark 74-81 BaB/MdA
Wexler John 54-62 ColB
Wheatley Jonathan 48-56 LaB
Zealey Will 02-09 PeA/GrW

Non Old Blue Participants
Corker Jenifer
Eastburn Judith
Hichens Robert (jnr)
Hichens Simon
Hichens Robert
Stevenson Helena
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Reckless Fred 06-13 MaA/GrE

This participant intrigues me David. Not an employee of MI5 or MI6, by any chance ??

:cry:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.