Christ's Hospital, ecole de excellence anglaise

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Christ's Hospital, ecole de excellence anglaise

Post by Spoonbill »

For those of us who've never seen this report from French TV. Any idea how long ago it was made? Anyone?

Personally I can hardly understand a word of it, but then again I could barely understand a word of French at the time I took my A Level in it.

(PS: One wonders if there's any private school in Britain which hasn't been compared with Hogwarts.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl2_BXjMisY
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: Christ's Hospital, ecole de excellence anglaise

Post by dsmg »

Bill, is CH a private school? A public school? A government assisted school? Oh the vagaries of the English language!
Play up Pompey!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Spoonbill wrote:For those of us who've never seen this report from French TV. Any idea how long ago it was made? Anyone?

Personally I can hardly understand a word of it, but then again I could barely understand a word of French at the time I took my A Level in it.

(PS: One wonders if there's any private school in Britain which hasn't been compared with Hogwarts.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl2_BXjMisY
It was uploaded one month ago and the person putting it up has loaded a mass of videos of at least French, German and English origin covering a very wide variety of subjects. There is no indication when this was broadcast on channel 2. As seen on YouTube the quality is poor BUT change the setting (gearwheel symbol) to 360 and it is far better. Apart from the presenter I had trouble following it (strange patois) but it seems straightforward and accurately factual.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

dsmg wrote:Bill, is CH a private school? A public school? A government assisted school? Oh the vagaries of the English language!

Okay then, Dan - let's change the wording to boarding school before a riot erupts.

Is everybody happy with that?

Et bien.
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

I predict a riot. Let's get Freaky on the case.
Play up Pompey!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

dsmg wrote:I predict a riot. Let's get Freaky on the case.
Given the latest exchanges about homosexuality on the Bullying and Abuse thread, I suggest Pubic school.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote:
dsmg wrote:I predict a riot. Let's get Freaky on the case.
Given the latest exchanges about homosexuality on the Bullying and Abuse thread, I suggest Pubic school.

Very succinct, Freaky !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

The late George Melly, who had a classical education at Stowe, said that he spent his schooldays fighting Caesar's Pubic Wars. What do the ladies have to say about this? Has there ever been a thread about Sapphic Tendencies at Hertford?
Last edited by rockfreak on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote:The late George Melly, who had a classical education at Stowe, said that he spent his schooldays fighting Caesar's Pubic Wars. What do the ladies have to say about this? Has their ever been a thread about Sapphic Tendencies at Hertford?

It has been 'referred' too in general terms here and there !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

rockfreak wrote:The late George Melly, who had a classical education at Stowe, said that he spent his schooldays fighting Caesar's Pubic Wars. What do the ladies have to say about this? Has there ever been a thread about Sapphic Tendencies at Hertford?
My loved one was educated at Stowe, and had a wonderful time there - however, he's never mentioned any sort of Pubic War. I must ask him when he gets home!

Sapphic Tendencies. Any sort of girl-on-girl action would have been swiftly recognised and dealt with. As far I remember. There might have been! But it was OK for a junior to have a crush on a senior girl. It was called "being cracked on". The crack would be followed about and worshipped. I never liked any of them enough to have a crack. But some extreme devotions did happen. I remember a poor small girl jumping from a window in the Science Block, but it was all very hushed up.

The main Sapphic relationship was between two mistresses - Miss Mercer and Miss Chemistry Thompson. They would often be spotted arm in arm first thing in the morning, looming up out of the mist - were they going from her place to her place?

Opinion varies about the relationship between Miss Jukes and Miss Wilson. Inseparable buddies who shared accommodation. But I don't think so.

I look at pictures of Hertford girls in the late 70's and early 80's - laughing, arms round each other. Normal, once the stern and authoritarian DR had gone.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
rockfreak wrote:The late George Melly, who had a classical education at Stowe, said that he spent his schooldays fighting Caesar's Pubic Wars. What do the ladies have to say about this? Has there ever been a thread about Sapphic Tendencies at Hertford?
My loved one was educated at Stowe, and had a wonderful time there - however, he's never mentioned any sort of Pubic War. I must ask him when he gets home!

Sapphic Tendencies. Any sort of girl-on-girl action would have been swiftly recognised and dealt with. As far I remember. There might have been! But it was OK for a junior to have a crush on a senior girl. It was called "being cracked on". The crack would be followed about and worshipped. I never liked any of them enough to have a crack. But some extreme devotions did happen. I remember a poor small girl jumping from a window in the Science Block, but it was all very hushed up.

The main Sapphic relationship was between two mistresses - Miss Mercer and Miss Chemistry Thompson. They would often be spotted arm in arm first thing in the morning, looming up out of the mist - were they going from her place to her place?

Opinion varies about the relationship between Miss Jukes and Miss Wilson. Inseparable buddies who shared accommodation. But I don't think so.

I look at pictures of Hertford girls in the late 70's and early 80's - laughing, arms round each other. Normal, once the stern and authoritarian DR had gone.
What about Miss Norman (Nellie) and Miss Rutherford? Shared a house too.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Of course, Frances! I was forgetting Nellie and Miss Rutherford. Girl Chums, I feel sure. No body language that might hint there was anything more.

:rolleyes: Although... just think - Nellie would have blown her whistle, sucked on an orange, and planned strategy for the second half...

Now I've remembered the loud and robust Miss Riddiford, who arrived when I was in the LV1. Once a term, we were supposed to invite a mistress to coffee in one of our Studies. Carolynn and I invited Miss Riddiford, who arrived with a sweet wispy adorable pretty girlfriend, Miss Munt. They were obviously a couple, and I did warm to see how obviously devoted they were to each other.

As the evening wore on - refills of coffee in stained melamine mugs which, bravely, they drank with enthusiasm, I began to feel wretched. Carolynn was Head Girl and wonderful at everything. Miss Riddiford and Miss Munt were full of how Carolynn was wonderful at everything. I began to feel I should have merged with the floorboards, having accomplished very little over the years.

So I pleaded needing an early night and left them to it.

But yes - Sapphic, definitely!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Who was Miss Chemistry Thompson? Did she combust when someone put a Bunsen burner under her?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Mary Thompson, teacher of chemistry, was a formidable Irish woman, with a tough exterior which hid a heart of gold! She did not arrive at CH until after I had left, but I met her many years later when I used to visit her and Frances Mercer in their cottage in County Kerry.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I should love to hear any details about the ménage of Merce and Chemi-T! They just seemed such a perfect pair! Do transfer over to Hertford Memories, Frances - shouldn't think the boys would enjoy this so much...