Arthur Rider

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Arthur Rider

Post by michael scuffil »

Someone even got brown ink

Yes, me. I still use it (the real stuff), and it's much easier to find these days (curiously). I have also set Word to write in brown on a pale cream screen (very relaxing on the eyes).

Doing school work in red or green ink was not usually allowed, but the only person who objected to my brown was ALJohnstone, who declared it was 'red'. But he relented, and entered me to represent ModLangDeps for the Golden Pen.

I got the idea of brown ink from Sebastian Carter, English Grecian and editor of 'Outlook', who used to put up notices written thus. He inherited the Rampant Lions Press in Cambridge from his father. I have since read that typographers have a foible for brown ink.

Yes, I do remember 'Smink or smorink?' The Ink Room, which I think was the first room you came to when entering the classroom block from the East cloisters, was one of the stranger places at CH, and the smell of CH ink is one of those odours which, when you get a whiff somewhere, bring memories flooding back.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

In recounting Arthur’s organisational abilities, there has been no mention of his tenure as Second Master. This was a job that he did very well.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

alterblau wrote:In recounting Arthur’s organisational abilities, there has been no mention of his tenure as Second Master. This was a job that he did very well.
.......... or the fact that after he fully retired from teaching, he took over a lot of the admin duties of the school.

A few years after I left, I asked for permission to fish the CH lakes and he issued a permit for me which I collected from him personally. He seemed a completely different character dealing with me as an OB rather than a rebellious pupil.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.