General Election: Old Blue candidates

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Ever Bluer
3rd Former

General Election: Old Blue candidates

Post by Ever Bluer »

I see Stephen White (Middleton A 1968-75, Governor) is Liberal Democrat candidate for Bishop Auckland, while John Perry (Lamb A 1961-69) is UKIP candidate for Havant. Do we know of any others?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: General Election: Old Blue candidates

Post by Vonny »

Ed Goncalves - he was a year or two above me so would have left mid 80's.....Lib Dem Rugby.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

UKIP. The shame of it...
Chris T
3rd Former

Post by Chris T »

It could be much worse. In 1940, after the start of World War 2, Anselm Capell (at CH in the early 1920s, house unknown to me) stood in a LCC election as a member of the British Union of Fascists (and hence supporter of Hitler).
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Chris T wrote:It could be much worse. In 1940, after the start of World War 2, Anselm Capell (at CH in the early 1920s, house unknown to me) stood in a LCC election as a member of the British Union of Fascists (and hence supporter of Hitler).
I'm not so sure. Sir Oswald Mosley (who by then was interned on the Isle of Man) said that if he'd been allowed to, he'd have joined the army and fought against Hitler, and had instructed his supporters to do the same.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Avon wrote:UKIP. The shame of it...

WHY ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Because he must be seen to be Politically Correct. Pitiful.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

On the basis of the universal experience of the 20th century and the 21st to date (small sample, admittedly), an OB MP has to be Labour.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Charismatic, brilliantly un-pc Nigel Farage. Got FAR more personality than the 3 'main' party leaders put together. May not agree with everything he stands for, but at least he is says what he thinks- drinks and smokes on camera- and blow everyone who doesn't like it..VOTE UKIP!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

fra828 wrote:Charismatic, brilliantly un-pc Nigel Farage. Got FAR more personality than the 3 'main' party leaders put together. May not agree with everything he stands for, but at least he is says what he thinks- drinks and smokes on camera- and blow everyone who doesn't like it..VOTE UKIP!
Yes except for the last two words; he doesn't seem to have anyone with the practical experience of trying to run the government
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Nigel (for this really is a one-man band) like all populists is good at identifying problems and doesn't shy away from them, but he has no realistic solutions. He (uniquely) gives straight answers to straight questions. Just don't think too hard about the implications. If you want to watch amateurs in government, cast an eye to Greece.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:Nigel (for this really is a one-man band) like all populists is good at identifying problems and doesn't shy away from them, but he has no realistic solutions. He (uniquely) gives straight answers to straight questions. Just don't think too hard about the implications. If you want to watch amateurs in government, cast an eye to Greece.

I agree in part Michael, but on looking from the other end of the room, I'm sick and tired of the other main parties constantly trying to score points of their opponents, AND spouting a load of promises which are near-on impossible to fulfil.

In my view, I've tried 'The Rest', so now I'm giving a new boy a chance. After all, surely he can't make matters much worse, and as some people say, 'I like the cut of his jib' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

It will be interesting to see what happens here in Spain, where the two party political system has power sway since Franco.

They are now totally devalued and two new parties are coming to the fore; Ciudadanos, a Catalan party that is variously described as left of centre or right wing, and Podemos, not dissimilar to the Greek Syriza party.

I can see no direct equivalents in the UK, but it seems that both countries will have coalition governments after the elections.

And we know how well that expert in coalition governments, Italy, has fared.

We should feel privileged to live in interesting times.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

J.R. wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:Nigel (for this really is a one-man band) like all populists is good at identifying problems and doesn't shy away from them, but he has no realistic solutions. He (uniquely) gives straight answers to straight questions. Just don't think too hard about the implications. If you want to watch amateurs in government, cast an eye to Greece.

I agree in part Michael, but on looking from the other end of the room, I'm sick and tired of the other main parties constantly trying to score points of their opponents, AND spouting a load of promises which are near-on impossible to fulfil.

In my view, I've tried 'The Rest', so now I'm giving a new boy a chance. After all, surely he can't make matters much worse, and as some people say, 'I like the cut of his jib' !
It's space not race- quote from UKIP
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Michael - Mosley interned on the Isle of Man?

I believe that he was arrested under Defence Regulation 18b and went straight into Brixton Prison, along with many of the Italian waiters who had staffed the most famous restaurants in London. Diana Mosley was detained shortly afterwards in Holloway. Eventually, in 1941, thanks to a Churchillian intervention, the Mosleys were reunited in married couple accommodation in Holloway. Then, in 1943, Mosley was considered at risk from phlebitis. The couple were released and went straight to Rignell, the home of the rural Mitford sister, Pamela.

I believe that when Mosley was asked how he'd survived in prison, replied airily

"Oh, after Winchester, prison was nothing."
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""