Greg Strange RIP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Greg Strange RIP

Post by Mid A 15 »

I was saddened to read of the death of Greg in the recent Old Blue.

Perry Kitchen wrote a fitting tribute.

My condolences to the family particularly his brother Paul known as 'Straz' on this forum.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Greg Strange RIP

Post by Straz »

Your condolences are very much appreciated.
Greg's death in 2014 came as a huge shock to us all. I haven't felt able to comment about it on the forum until now.

Perry Kitchen's full obituary - including more about Greg's life at CH - is here:
http://www.choba.org.uk/old-blues/obitu ... y/?pdb=324

And I wrote the following for our family Christmas newsletter in 2014. I hope it's OK to share it with you all:

Paul remembers Greg...

In September 2014, my brother Greg died unexpectedly from Legionnaires' Disease. He was just 61.
Greg meant the world to me. He lifted my heart whenever I saw him. I felt it many, many times in my life, particularly so at my wedding to Delia last year, when he was one of our witnesses and gave a splendid reading.
Larger than life, he was like a meteor, full of energy as he blazed across the sky. His presence touched everyone he met, and he brought great joy and happiness to those he knew. A very funny guy, his wry quips were legendary. He also cared passionately about people, always going the extra mile to help those in need. It was a rare quality that I much admired. 

My dad said to me on many occasions, "They broke the mould with your brother." Too right. 

Greg was an exceptional man. The most brilliant of brothers, he was a great friend and a broad shoulder to lean on, a dedicated husband to Eiddwen and a tremendous dad to Liv.
A gifted journalist and an outstanding broadcaster, my brother was one in a million, a true eccentric we will never, ever forget.
A great light has gone out in my life, in my family’s lives and for all his friends around the world.
Rest in peace Greg. Love you always.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Greg Strange RIP

Post by Mid A 15 »

Straz wrote:Your condolences are very much appreciated.
Greg's death in 2014 came as a huge shock to us all. I haven't felt able to comment about it on the forum until now.

Perry Kitchen's full obituary - including more about Greg's life at CH - is here:
http://www.choba.org.uk/old-blues/obitu ... y/?pdb=324

And I wrote the following for our family Christmas newsletter in 2014. I hope it's OK to share it with you all:

Paul remembers Greg...

In September 2014, my brother Greg died unexpectedly from Legionnaires' Disease. He was just 61.
Greg meant the world to me. He lifted my heart whenever I saw him. I felt it many, many times in my life, particularly so at my wedding to Delia last year, when he was one of our witnesses and gave a splendid reading.
Larger than life, he was like a meteor, full of energy as he blazed across the sky. His presence touched everyone he met, and he brought great joy and happiness to those he knew. A very funny guy, his wry quips were legendary. He also cared passionately about people, always going the extra mile to help those in need. It was a rare quality that I much admired. 

My dad said to me on many occasions, "They broke the mould with your brother." Too right. 

Greg was an exceptional man. The most brilliant of brothers, he was a great friend and a broad shoulder to lean on, a dedicated husband to Eiddwen and a tremendous dad to Liv.
A gifted journalist and an outstanding broadcaster, my brother was one in a million, a true eccentric we will never, ever forget.
A great light has gone out in my life, in my family’s lives and for all his friends around the world.
Rest in peace Greg. Love you always.

Thank you for posting this Paul. A lovely tribute to your brother and interesting to read Perry's obituary in full too.

I vividly remember that Greg had a group of friends from Peele A including Perry Kitchen, Dominic Gwynn, Keith Walker (also sadly departed) and Geoff Levy. They used to turn up to see Greg in Mid A and, to use the modern vernacular, the 'banter' and interplay between them was heartening to see. It was evident that they all got on very well and had a mutual respect and affection for each other.

Greg and I as individuals in the House used to clash occasionally in that we were both equally stubborn! However there was a mutual respect between us and overall we got on well. He certainly helped me with his direct 'take no prisoners' approach to intellectual debate. I remember once making what he considered to be a sweeping assertion based on little or no evidence and he had no hestitation in letting me know! I made sure I was better prepared in future and that has stayed with me subsequently.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72