POST WORLD WAR TWO MEMORIAL

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

POST WORLD WAR TWO MEMORIAL

Post by Foureyes »

HELP, please!
I am writing a history of the War Memorials on the front of Dining Hall. There are three: 1914-1920; 1939-1947; and 1947 onwards. I have mountains of info on the first two, but almost nothing on the third. This is a smaller tablet bearing two names - so far: Foxton (Korea) and Urquhart-Pullen (Suez). My problem is that I cannot find any information on when it was erected or who was responsible. Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

A date would be particularly valuable as that would enable me to concentrate my researches.

Thanks,
David :shock:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: POST WORLD WAR TWO MEMORIAL

Post by Mid A 15 »

I cannot give a specific date but I remember the World War 1 and 2 Memorials from my time but not a Post World War 2 Memorial.

I left in 1972 so I would assume the recent Memorial appeared after that. Howard Holdsworth, Old Blue of my era, current Master and occasional contributor to this forum, will see this thread hopefully and may be able to narrow down the time frame.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Postby ian pullen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:55 pm
J.G Steel wrote on 19 march 2010 that one of the Urquhart-Pullen brothers had a memorial plaque to the right side of the Dining Hall- that was my brother G.R. Urquhart-Pullen (commkonly known as 'Pullen', while I am 'Urquhart'). My brother was shot down in his Canberra over Lebanon in the Suez Crisis of November 1956, Because it was a secret mission, no information was released until the late '90s. The memorial plaque was put up in 2000 and I attended the service with my wife, daughter and grandson. Further information is available on the internet by keying in G.R. Urquhart-Pullen.

The internet search suggested did not give any information about the plaque. The one entry which conceivably could disclose anything was blocked by my browser on possible danger grounds. Perhaps Ian could give closer date information
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

David

I presume you mean the 'findagrave' site. This always happens with findagrave. Just copy the URL without the initial https:// and then copy it into the address line. This will take you to the findagrave site, where there is a link to a Beirut newspaper article.

Edit: You can of course just delete the https:// from the address line and press enter again. The link is not in fact to the newspaper article (which requires a subscription) but to a blogspot based on it.

Edit again: You will find the article at http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+story ... 0352626743
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Thanks to all who replied.
The date of 2000 is what I was looking for and I can now narrow down my searches in the Counting House/Museum.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I now have the info I was looking for, so, to complete the story:
#The memorial was conceived and promoted by a group of Old Blues led by Ron Freeman (Col B 1940-46).
# It was approved by the Council in 1999.
# It was unveiled on 4 May 2000.
# It is intended for Old Blues "who died in the service of their country at timesw other than in a World War" (i.e., to cover peacekeeping,limited conflicts, counter-insurgency and the like.
# As stated earlier, there are two names on the list, and one must hope that it will remain that way.
Thanks for the help,