Leavers' Service

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Did you cry at the Leavers' Service?

Thought I would, and did
31%
Didn't think I would, but did
10%
Thought I would, but didn't
28%
Didn't think I would, and didn't
21%
Wasn't sure if I would or not, and did
3%
Wasn't sure if I would or not, and didn't
7%

Total votes: 29

tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Leavers' Service

Post by tobeconfirmed »

So...what were your feelings and reactions?
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

it was a little less tedious than it had been for the previous 6 yrs........but not much
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

A very, very emotional time. Although my Leavers' Service was almost 50 years ago exactly, the tears are never far away as I think of it even now.

In fact, I have already planned my own funeral (I am of that age, you see) around the music of the Leaving Service all those years ago. My only fear is that "The Day Thou gavest, Lord, is ended" will not be performed quite to my required standard here in my Cornish Church of St Mylor. With luck, however, my dying will be sufficiently protracted to enable me to conduct a proper rehearsal beforehand.

Incidently, I have greatly plagiarised the Foundation hymn which is sung with great gusto at our Patronal Festival every August (to the Wilkinson tune, of course!). Perhaps I am too ashamed to publish it in full upon this forum??
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Now this is a VERY strange thing. 3 times I have tried to correct my last posting - there is a horrendous typo in the last line! The odd thing is that in the original it says "publish it" but try as I might, as soon as I press the submit button it comes out as "sh1t". Julian, I think you have a bug in your forum! Does it do this to you? I nearly re-wrote it as "type it" but thought you should have the opportunity to consider and perhaps correct this.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I'm sweating! It's done it again!!!!!!! I want to type "p u b l i s h it". Let's see if that works.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

It is still trying to mess it up! Good heavens!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Thanks - and well left!
Another spurious rule that seems too clever for its own good!
Now corrected - so everyone will now wonder what you're on about!!

J
Last edited by jtaylor on Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Our leavers service was the most unemotional service I'd ever been to, not sure why exactly a few people cried one bloke broke down completely, we had more moments of high comedy rather than tearful goodbyes during ours. I came close to crying got a bit watery eyed and thats about it, thought I'd really be going at it, was supprised not to.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by helen »

I looked in here because I wondered what someone would want to discuss re this topic. I would really like to know why someone would want to ask if people cried at the service. This is a straightforward question with no hidden judgements or criticisms.
THanks for any straightforward answers.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I think the one who posed the question is soon to experience the Leavers' Service. Based on the past experience of others, I think it is quite natural to ponder on the emotional/psychological impact it may have.
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

I remember it being very sad, but I gather the service has been changed alot since I left. Certainly Mr Allwood was trying to get it changed when I was there, thought it too gloomy.

Remember all of us standing down the middle of chapel waiting for our names to be called out. Lasted for ages. The music was sad, and would have made most feel emotional, leaving service or not.

:cry:
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The Leaving Service was first 'bastardized' in my year due to its 'overly depressing' nature...

We lost the psalm and Nunc Dimittis - probably two of the most beautiful settings...

However, many people cried - it is still a very emotional service.

I certainly did....
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
TA
2nd Former

Post by TA »

Well it rained all day so the retreat was to be held indoors. Having been asked to "leave" the school the leaving service was pointless for me. My only regret nowadays is that I did not use my forehead and knee on the headmaster ( Newsome ?) as payback for thrashing me so many times.
After the service I went back to my house took off the uniform put on ordinary clothes and walked down to the station. Enjoyed being on a train with no one staring at me. My only regret is that I did not take longer realising this is my last time in the Chapel, the Quad etc.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Great Plum wrote: We lost the psalm and Nunc Dimittis - probably two of the most beautiful settings...
That's a crying shame (sorry!) to have removed those two - great settings, and the whole leaving SHOULD surely be emotional, and yes slightly depressing - the whole point is to mark and appreciate the benefits etc. and that people usually have such mixed feeling about leaving.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Didn't go to mine !

There's anarchy for yer !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.