Music Lessons - not a pupil

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Music Lessons - not a pupil

Post by peter2095 »

Evening,

Just wondered if anyone knew if CH or any of the teachers offer private music lessons. My daughter (5) is looking to learn the violin and thought it maybe a good place to learn.

Thanks
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Music Lessons - not a pupil

Post by J.R. »

Not so sure any current staff members access this site these days.

A call to the school office might be an idea.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I was once told by a classical music writer that Mozart hated the noise made by the violin so got his obligatory violin concertos out of the way early in his career in order to concentrate on piano concertos and symphonies. I don't know whether this is true. It may be that the violin was harder to keep in tune back then than now. Maybe your daughter will buck the trend and get Mozart back onside.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

peter2095 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm Evening,

Just wondered if anyone knew if CH or any of the teachers offer private music lessons. My daughter (5) is looking to learn the violin and thought it maybe a good place to learn.

Thanks
Hello,
I'm afraid I can't advise you about current CH teachers, but as an amateur musician myself, since the age of 7, I can provide you with some advice which I hope may be of assistance.
Consider contacting West Sussex Music Service, they may be able to provide advice about how your daughter can get started on the violin

https://www.westsussexmusic.co.uk/page. ... th-schools

She is still very young and has plenty of time to get started.The younger the better, but anytime during primary school years will ensure it comes naturally. I can always spot musicians who took up their instrument in adult life. But fair play to them.

I would strongly recommend starting her on the recorder. It is an easy instrument and is a good way to learn to read music. Also it will instil in her the discipline of practising, which is essential for making progress.

After a period of time (6 months, 1 year) depending upon her progress, you and she will have a better idea if this is something she enjoys (i'm sure it will be!) and then she can move to a more substantial instrument like the violin

In my day there was a music book called A Tune a Day, which was great for getting started. West Sussex should be able to advise you on the current teaching book.

My mum told me when I first started, that it would provide me with a very nice social past time in adult life, and she was right.

I wish your daughter every success.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Thank you AMP, very helpful and insightful advice.

I think the recorder idea is a brilliant one and will look in to this. I'm not sure what they are teaching at primary school but every time I ask if she still wants to learn the violin and explain that it's not easy, she tells me that she has a growth mindset and knows it will be hard. When I was in year 1 i think i just kicked a football and learnt my 2 times table

Thank you
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

I am learning (late in life) the viola, having acquired by inheritance a viola hand-made by a distant cousin. I learnt the clarinet at CH (briefly), so this has been my first foray into the world of the string families. The violin is smaller and much more popular but very similar in method, so what I can relay is almost certainly applicable. Once you get the hang of the bow hold and angle, and the positioning of fingers on the strings, it is a very enjoyable and rewarding instrument. Easy to carry and to maintain and tune (with tuner and metronome apps readily available), it is great as a solo instrument or in ensemble, it is a good choice.

I would recommend the Samuel Applebaum Stringbuilder books series for starting, but very young they would need to be explained by an adult with a modicum of music knowledge.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

MrEd wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:45 pm I would recommend the Samuel Applebaum Stringbuilder books series for starting, but very young they would need to be explained by an adult with a modicum of music knowledge.
I am trying (OK Freaky, we all know!) to learn to play the guitar left by my late son who played in a Manchester group; any suggested instruction books?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

sejintenej wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:46 pm
MrEd wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:45 pm I would recommend the Samuel Applebaum Stringbuilder books series for starting, but very young they would need to be explained by an adult with a modicum of music knowledge.
I am trying (OK Freaky, we all know!) to learn to play the guitar left by my late son who played in a Manchester group; any suggested instruction books?
Not tried myself but Bert Weedon's 'Play In A Day' is meant to be good I've been told by those that know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bert-Weedons-P ... 0571529658
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

sejintenej wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:46 pm
I have asked a relative who is a Grade 8 guitarist, and he thought that it was hard to recommend any particular book that would be much use without an instructor, but he says he'll dig them out when he has the chance and will see if he can recommend anything. BTW, there is lots of free instruction available on Youtube.