How will CH cope with Brexit?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: How will CH cope with Brexit?

Post by sejintenej »

Otter wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 pm
I agree Marty, population shouldn’t be the only factor. I should/could have expanded on this but my main point was that the UK is very stingy and reticent with regard to accepting people in need, compared to most of our neighbours. The government’s proud “hostile atmosphere” and all that.

My mother’s family were Jews who fled Germany in the 1930s, and were warmly welcomed here. They’d be disgusted at the attitude to foreigners in general now, especially among older people.
Stephen; a very valid point but please remember our history. The Lombards who fled from Northern Italy. The hugenots from France, Iberians (I forget the tribal name) mainly into Ireland and thence to England, Jews, not only from Hitler but during previous purges including the USSR, Hungarians, East African Indians, West Indians mainly by invitation, South Africans and a host more. You will note I leave out Vikings and Normans and saxons who were would-be invaders. Those I listed plus more came because they were effectively thrown out of their own countries.

Separately there are economic migrants who see government handouts etc etc. These include East Africans (Ethiopians, Somalis , Nigerians, etc). There are many from the Middle East where motives are mixed.
Those who fled religious or colour persecution in the past did not try to influence this country but sometimes live as British people do but there are localised cliques even now. You may have even more intimate knowledge of the Jewish communities in North London and Gants Hill. (I live and worked within those communities but at least they are not dishonest). Otherwise, if you dare, go down Brick Lane as one example of a localised clique.. By the way I am married to an immigrant forced with the rest of her family out of her own country.

There is a near criminal underclass within the UK, a mafia if you like. I know of sweatshops little different from those of Calcutta in the Midlands, near slaves held to collect vegetables, cockles etc. and the drug distributors, Romanian women sent out to sell papers and if they do not earn enough ...... Yes, whites are in some of those groups but are a minority - they don't have the violent streak. These are the ones we must keep out or expel.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

marty wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:06 pm Ok but I'm now a bit confused. What you're saying is that large or 'substantial' parts of the UK are national parks (and therefore largely uninhabitable). Surely this reduces the amount of space available for people to live in even further?

Comparisons to France aside and adjusting for "percentage loss" (which looks to be rather difficult to determine) the UK is still in the top third of the list in terms of population density.
The areas I mentioned may be called "National Parks" but are also difficult to settle because of their geography. Nomination as a national park makes inhabitation even more difficult.
As you write, that makes population density per habitable square kilometer far higher than the 266 calculated. The figure for France (your example) would also be higher than 104 but by a lower multiple. The figures for Austria, Greece, Italy and perhaps Spain might need adjustment also.Getting an accurate figure would be as hard as calculating the length of coastline - impossible. Certainly we are near the top whereas other EU countries have far lower densities

A major problem at the moment is Islam and the violence it has caused in various countries, especially Germany. We have had enough of the paddies going round blowing up place - my son and I have been affected by a couple of those so we don't want any more similar problems.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Whether immigration is seen as a good thing or a bad thing will depend on your perspective and a vast number of factors. Good or bad, I think most commentators broadly agree that the perception of EU immigration from Eastern Europe was the single biggest factor for people voting for Brexit, certainly from amongst what one might still call blue-collar workers in industrial and former industrial areas of the United Kingdom.

Immigration is, was and will always be a contentious issue. Without these Eastern European immigrants a number of industries are going to struggle. Farming and hospitality spring immediately to mind but there are many others such as lorry-driving, cleaning, the lower skilled areas of the NHS which will find it difficult to find people to replace them if they leave. Maybe, however, this is an opportunity which will coerce employers into paying more and attracting 'British' workers though I doubt it. What is beyond doubt, is that wages are lower in this country owing to a deliberate Government (mainly Gordon Brown but perpetuated thereafter) policy to top up low wages with in-work benefits. This is fine when the money goes back into the economy (well arguably anyway) but less good when it goes to into building houses and supporting families in Romania, Poland, Bulgaria etc.

This is the conundrum. We need immigration to do jobs that Brits don't want to do, (or at least those that employers now prefer to use immigrants to do). But whatever David Cameron may have said at the time of the referendum, in purely financial terms these people are not contributing to the economy. On the whole, I can see the benefits of some immigration. Certainly we need to help those who have been forced from their homelands through war and terror but let us discuss it honestly. In the short term, most immigration is a drain on the economy and not a boost. Immigrants may well be the next generation of entrepreneurs waiting in the wings but, for the moment, there is a cost to be borne.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I welcome professionally qualified EU Nationals into Britain. Our Health Service would collapse without them. I spoke to many of them during my 3 recent hospital visits. They were hard working dedicated staff.

HOWEVER..... Some immigrants just take the p1ss and come her from Eastern European countries to rob, beg and steal just to send their illgotton gains back to their homeland.

At least we would be able to kick them out and they wouldn't be able to get back in !"!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

J.R. wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:55 pm I welcome professionally qualified EU Nationals into Britain. Our Health Service would collapse without them. I spoke to many of them during my 3 recent hospital visits. They were hard working dedicated staff.

HOWEVER..... Some immigrants just take the p1ss and come her from Eastern European countries to rob, beg and steal just to send their illgotton gains back to their homeland.

At least we would be able to kick them out and they wouldn't be able to get back in !"!
Fully agree.

The issue we now have is that many of those NHS professionals etc. feel unwelcome after the referendum result and we have a brain drain, with unprecedented numbers returning to their countries of origin. Sadly, lots of people lump all foreigners into the second category you mention.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

All the ward auxiliaries and cleaners said they wanted to stay here
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

Otter wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:28 pm The UK is independent. Are you seriously suggesting that France, Germany etc. are not independent countries? If so, there's no point debating with you as it is as worthwhile as arguing with a flat-earther.

Talking of "not having an argument to make", I'm yet to hear a single good argument in favour of Brexit.
Well you state that the UK is independent, but I don't see how you reconcile that with the supremacy of EU law over domestic law, a fundamental principle of EU law (just as US Federal Law prevails over State law by the Supremacy Clause in the US Constitution). The UK Parliament cannot pass laws that conflict with EU law, any more than can the Scottish Parliament disapply UK law (as opposed to legislate within its competence). Lord Denning, long ago, not long after the UK joined the EEC, described European Law as an incoming tide, clearly foreseeing the immense impact of EU law on English law (Scots law is still distinct from English).

Not only is EU law supreme, that means that entire areas of government policy are devoted to implementing EU law. The UK cannot determine entirely who or what crosses its borders (the Four Freedoms). Whilst there is a right to determine who can come here from outside the EEA, that might change if the EU so decides, and with Qualified Majority Voting extended, there are whole areas where the UK has no veto. The UK cannot determine trade policy, there are elements of an EU foreign policy, the EU determines the fish that can be caught in our waters. Of course, all this reciprocates across the EU, but it does not mean that the UK is independent. Of course, the UK can attain independence, but it is far less independent of the EU than Australia was of the UK up to the passing of the Australia Act 1986, which formally ended the UK's right to legislate for Australia or its constituent parts.

You do not even mention or seek to explain away Factortame, the case under which (in brief) a UK Act of Parliament can be disapplied by the UK courts if it conflicts with EU law, so Parliament may pass an Act and the UK courts may say it is of no effect, turning us (by a different route) away from the Blackstone heresy (Parliament can do what it likes) which became orthodoxy, to a mockery of Coke's principle in Dr. Bonham's case in which he held that Acts of Parliament repugnant to reason or to the Common law are void, in that case, a law allowing physicians to fine Dr. Bonham for practising without a licence from them. So the UK's Parliament is not sovereign in its own house, its courts may disapply its Acts (by praying in aid EU law), and UK Courts must, as we know, follow EU law, and may (and sometimes must) refer questions of law to the European Court of Justice, and follow that court's findings on the law.

Not having (or having) your own currency does not make a country not independent, no one is suggesting that Ecuador is not independent simply because it dollarised its economy.

You ask if I am seriously suggesting that France, Germany etc. are not independent countries? You do not offer any evidence for your proposition, just a bare assertion, perhaps you haven't thought about such matters. Perhaps thinking is difficult or distressing for you, you then go ad hominem, a likely sign of a lost argument. Let us take those countries in turn:

France: It has its force de frappe, just as we have Trident, but legally, it is in the same position as the UK, see above.
Germany: It is in a different situation due to its Basic Law, and the German Constitutional Court could, in theory at least, hold that EU law in breach of the Basic Law and rule it inapplicable to Germany, so Germany might be able to break free, if EU law went in a direction that was unconstitutional.
etc.? Where is that?

Let meask: Is Greece, which you did not mention, an independent country? It is subject to EU law. It does not set its own budget, Eurozone states have budget limits, but that is a broad criterion with discretion as to what money is spent on. Greece is subject to a significant level of budgetary interference (on top of all the law-taking requirements of EU membership and with no right to determine contrary of EU law crosses its borders).

Of course, the UK can leave the EU, in accordance with the Lisbon Treaty and perhaps by simply repealing the Acts of Parliament that provide for EU membership, but that is a contingent independence. The UK government is legally subordinate to the EU, and EU Regulations have direct force in the UK without the UK government being able to prevent that, whereas EU Directives simply require a member state to bring in laws to achieve the aims of the Directive.

One might look at Texas, and ask if it is independent? Clearly not, it is a State of the United States of America. It does not have the right to secede from the United States. But Texas was once an independent Republic. No EU member state has gone as far from independence as Texas, and all have far more autonomy over internal affairs than any US State, and have a constitutional and legal means of leaving the EU, but as things stand, no EU member state is independent of the EU. It is leaving the EU that would make a member state independent. so independence is not, as things stand, applicable to EU member states, but all may achieve it if they wish, with the right to determine their own laws, and exactly who and what crosses their frontiers.

Of what you are yet to hear, perhaps you might try listening?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

On the subject of immigration, I've now heard the same thing from two sources: one was Simon Jenkins, one of the senior leader writers in the Guardian, and the other someone like Barnier or Juncker in the EU, that for as long as anyone can remember we've taken in more immigrants from outside the EU than from inside.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm On the subject of immigration, I've now heard the same thing from two sources: one was Simon Jenkins, one of the senior leader writers in the Guardian, and the other someone like Barnier or Juncker in the EU, that for as long as anyone can remember we've taken in more immigrants from outside the EU than from inside.
Taking that literally we are discussing a period of only 26 years since the Treaty of Maastricht forming the EU or perhaps the 62 years since the formation of the EEC.
Immigration os a formalised act in each country becoming a citizen of the new country rather that a permitted foreign resident. Within the EU there is no need to become a formal immigrant - you can arrive, buy a house, work, bring in family members and you are still not an immigrant. With the arrival of Macron thousands of young French people came to the UK to work, set up businesses etc. - they are not immigrants but EU citizens - a subtle difference.
Then we find the subtle difference occasioned by the Treaty of about 1922 whereby Irish people can freely move to Britain, live, work, bring in relatives and get UK passports. Immigrants or EU transferees - choose your date!
Britain has had major immigration principally from Southern Asia, South Africa and to a lesser extent the Carribbean since EEC formation and since Maastricht. Britain is a target because of our benefits system which is more attractive than those on the continent.

Alternatively, reading the statement more losely, we have had major immigration from Europe over the centuries. Those few which come to mind are the Angles and Saxons, Romans, Vikings from Scandinavia and Normandy, Lombards from Northern Italy, Hugenots principally from France, Jews (thanks Herr Hitler), Indians and Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, West Indians, South Africans (seem to all be dentists!). A DNA analysis of one of my wife's more distant UK citizen relatives shows around 35% Indonesian and South East Asian DNA!!! By contrast continental Europe has suffered from Eastern European/Asian invaders, Russians to Spain, Moors to Spain and France, Muslims as far west as Vienna. Again I have probably missed out the most important! Where do we put the island of Ireland which was settled from Spain in mists of yore?

I agree with the original statements.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I said "for as long as anyone can remember" but I do seem now to remember that Simon Jenkins quantified this as being from 1973. So in other words, to make a comparison from the period when we joined the EU.

Here in Gravesend there are many eastern Europeans but also what some people here call the Sikh mafia, with a newly built Sikh temple the size of the Taj Mahal, a Sikh mayor and turbans everywhere. Actually they seem to fit in very well and are very active in the local Labour party. I bought my house from a Sikh couple (but had to redecorate to subtler hues). People work together and live side by side and the BNP hasn't attempted to try and stir up trouble. I don't get the impression of benefit claimants. Both eastern Europeans and Asians seem to find work.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:21 pm I said "for as long as anyone can remember" but I do seem now to remember that Simon Jenkins quantified this as being from 1973. So in other words, to make a comparison from the period when we joined the EU.

Here in Gravesend there are many eastern Europeans but also what some people here call the Sikh mafia, with a newly built Sikh temple the size of the Taj Mahal, a Sikh mayor and turbans everywhere. Actually they seem to fit in very well and are very active in the local Labour party. I bought my house from a Sikh couple (but had to redecorate to subtler hues). People work together and live side by side and the BNP hasn't attempted to try and stir up trouble. I don't get the impression of benefit claimants. Both eastern Europeans and Asians seem to find work.
My immediate neighbours include an Irishman (married to an English womaan), a French woman (her British husband died a few years ago) and a Sikh family who are always friendly.
Quite a few years ago we received through the door a letter of apology from the Sikhs; their son was to get married in Newcastle and a coach would stop outside the house at midnight to collect the guests. It woud return shortly after midnight the next night and they were apologising for any disturbance and invited the neighbours in after their return to celebrate the wedding. very civilised!

We have two Romanian women standing outside the local shops selling some magazine - I'm not sure if they really speak English and whether they are "controlled". OTOH my daughter recently employed a Lithuanian with a Masters Degree, very good English, well qualified for the job in a major broadcasting company; previously the only job she could get was as a house cleaner. Certainly many / most EU born people here are well educated and determined not to get state benefits but there are those whose background is more violent and they have inherited that melieu.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

On the subject of immigration generally, many of those from the middle east are the result of our and the Americans' intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq and the subsequent chaos and anarchy that we deliberately created (see my previous post elsewhere quoting Gen Wesley Clark of the Pentagon). That being so it seems to me that we and the Americans should be taking in these refugees, rather than those countries in the southern Mediterranean who didn't vote for these wars (Greece, Italy, etc). But specifically George Bush Jr should open his huge ranch in Crawford, Texas with commodious tents and portaloos, as should every US senator and congressman who voted for these wars, as should the property-wealthy Blair and every Tory and New Labour politician who voted.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm (see my previous post elsewhere quoting Gen Wesley Clark of the Pentagon).
You didn’t ‘quote’ Clark. You ascribed an unattributable story to him, which the rest of the interweb hasn’t really picked up on.

This is how people create false narratives. It’s despicable and you and your ilk should be called out every time you do it.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm On the subject of immigration generally, many of those from the middle east are the result of our and the Americans' intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq and the subsequent chaos and anarchy that we deliberately created (see my previous post elsewhere quoting Gen Wesley Clark of the Pentagon).
More utter tripe from Mr Redshaw. The US and UK Governments were incompetent and dishonest about why they wished to invade Iraq, less so Afghanistan, but it is not the West that wants instability. The conspiracy theorists and other lovers of lazy scholarship love to make statements such as this but it is simply nonsense. Governments do things that they think will be good for them and their country; they are often just not very good at understanding the consequences of those actions. No need to comment on the rubbish about Wes Clark - Avon has done that already (thanks).
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

If the letter in the Guardian naming Wes Clark is untrue then I've no doubt that Clark would have moved pretty quickly to squash it via the libel courts. After all, it's a pretty hefty accusation. As far as the writer (a defence analyst) making an unattributable accusation, he did sign the letter with his name but I've forgotten it. As an ex journo and sub editor with some knowledge of the libel laws I don't think a paper like the Guardian would have printed such a heavyweight accusation from any anonymous punter without some checks.