Christ's Hospital Bands 1991

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

simongibbs
3rd Former

Christ's Hospital Bands 1991

Post by simongibbs »

Christ's Hospital Bands 1991 - Concert Band and Show Band – cassette now uploaded: https://youtu.be/66tjF464Qzw

This is one of only two cassette releases from CH I have come across. The other was “Christmas Carols” from 1995, subsequently reissued as “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” in 1998 on CD. Is anyone aware of any other cassettes out there?
brian walling
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Christ's Hospital Bands 1991

Post by brian walling »

Yes, there was a band-music cassette published by CH in the mid-late 1980s, possibly pre-dating the one that you have just placed on Youtube and carrying a different set of pieces. I bought it directly from CH by mail-order. The cassette, titled CHRISTS HOSPITAL BANDS, was notable for the colour painting on its cover of a boy in CH uniform in a Newgate Street setting. I have never seen this picture of the CH uniform reproduced anywhere else. Unfortunately I gave this cassette away only last year (after the world migrated from cassettes to CDs), but I did make and keep a scan of the cassette cover and I shall gladly email you the image if you will pm me an email address. Pity we can't post attachments or images on this forum. This image could be of general interest, so maybe I'll contact the administrator to see whether it could be posted somewhere on this board.

The cassette is marching band on side A and show band on side B and the pieces listed on the cover are:

Side A (concert band)
-------------------------------------
The Swing March
The Thunderer
The Vanished Army
El Abanico
Seventeen Come Sunday
Marche Des Parachutistes Belges
El Capeo
Brass Aflame

Side B (swing band)
--------------------------------------
South Rampart Street Parade
American Patrol
Spanish Flea
Little Brown Jug
Old Piano Roll Blues
Tijuana Taxi
Stage Band Boogie
In the Mood
Dance with the Devil
Woodchoppers' Ball

The cover also carries a cassette reference number and the details of the producing studio - in case you might wish to look for a copy.

By the way, thanks for your recent efforts in uploading to Youtube the Band, Barnes Wallis and Organ items recently -- memories of CH that I have enjoyed.

Brian Walling
Ma A 53-60