The C.H. Education Fund

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

The C.H. Education Fund

Post by Richard Ruck »

I've just received my copy of a letter from Dr. Peter Southern which has been circulated to Old Blues. No doubt many people here will also have received a copy.

This aim of this letter is to raise awareness of and support for the school's 'Education Fund'.

I quote: "Our aims for the immediate future include the further provision of interactive whiteboards in classrooms, printmaking equipment in the Art School, laptop computers for pupils, School dictionaries, and much more besides".

The letter goes on to say that a group of recent Grecians will be conducting a telephone campaign during July "both to update you on developments at the school and to seek your support for the Education Fund".

Now, it seems to be that such a request could do with a bit of fine-tuning. As has been discussed previously on this Forum, there are many Old Blues who are not currently in a position to donate cash, but who may be able to help (through their profession or otherwise) in the provision of some of these needs.

So, my suggestion would be that the school should produce a list of requirements (like a wedding list, I suppose). This could circulated via the C.H.Association, published on this forum and on the Old Blues website, etc.

Such a list could perhaps be split into three sections : 'Immediate needs', 'Will need fairly soon...' and 'Would like to have...'.

The list should be quite specific about what's needed, e.g. what sort of dictionaries, how many, and which particular publisher / edition....

If the Music Department needs, for example, some clarinets then how many, what price range etc.

Old Blues are well represented in most industries, so there are a lot of good contacts to be had.

For example, I work in the music industry, so I could probably help to come up with some appropriate CDs for the music library (assuming it still exists). Maybe not essential equipment, but perhaps desirable nonetheless.

Any thoughts on this?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

I'm also concerned about the priorities...

Interactive whiteboards? Those things cost a mint. I've just moved into a state of the art campus, with an organisation that generates billions of pounds in free cash flow, yet even we balked at the cost.

Surely a pen and standard whiteboard would be more effective and cost an awful lot less to maintain.

I don't mind helping pay for quality (poor people can't afford to buy cheap things), but I would at least like to be assured that it's for the right reasons.
Thornton 85-92
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hmm, I wonder if I will get one of these letters.

I can't see how interactive whiteboards are really necessary...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

As St Bob Geldof would say................

give us your effing money!

By the way you are not allowed to come to Beating of the Retreat, we'll shut the CH Club and stop the format of The Blue that has been going for 100 plus years.

Ignore me I'm in Victor Meldrew grumpy old man mode :evil:

Mind you I bet I won't be the only one to think it.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

i havent had one of these lovely letters.

interactive whiteboard, think they use computers, right?

their priorities, from what you are saying, do seem a bit wrong. musical instruments yes, laptops yes but....

if i get a phonecall ill say sorry i am a very impoverished student!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

Interactive whiteboards are fantastic bits of equipment if you buy the right ones. I guarantee that anyone who sees one properly demonstrated will fall in love with the concept immediately. I'm surprised it has taken CH this long to catch on to this technology.

Assuming they will be buying in bulk, it should be possible to equip each classroom with a projector and whiteboard for around £2k-£2.5k installed.

In a previous job, I used to have a lot to do with them. My knowledge is two or three years out of date now but the best, by far, used to be the Hitachi model with "Cambridge" software.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

All state schools are scheduled to get them courtesy of the government.
Suppose CH feels it has to keep up.
How about providing interactive paper? or even the old-fashioned you use a pen on...
Does this mean that the money has been found to repair the buildings/finish the 'masterplan'/other seemingly higher priority aims than increasing the amount of dictionaries etc.?

ps. wouldn't a laptop have a dictionary on it already?!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Hannoir wrote:....interactive whiteboard, think they use computers, right?
Haven't got a clue, I'm afraid.

I'm from the chalk-squeaking-on-blackboard era.

BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

Apparently, you can get a standard white board, a board rubber and a bucket full of pens for about £25. That would mean that you could buy 80 of the buggers for the same price of a computer controlled one...

All its doing is making me less inclined to give money. I have no faith thet they'll invest it wisely.
Last edited by BTaylor on Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornton 85-92
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

ben ashton wrote:Does this mean that the money has been found to repair the buildings/finish the 'masterplan'/other seemingly higher priority aims than increasing the amount of dictionaries etc.?

ps. wouldn't a laptop have a dictionary on it already?!
I was wondering about this. What exactly is a "School dictionary" anyway?

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

BTaylor wrote:Apparently, you can get a standard white board, a board rubber and a bucket full of pens for about £25. That would mean that you could buy 80 of ****** for the same price of a computer controlled one...

All its doing is making me less inclined to give money. I have no faith thet they'll invest it wisely.
Exactly - that's why a 'wish-list' might gain a more favourable response - people could be directly involved in the donation or sourcing of the required / desired stuff.

BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

It's one with all the rude words removed. Such as:

insurgence
disobedience
rebellion
independance

and of course:

copulation
Thornton 85-92
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

JamesF35 wrote: Assuming they will be buying in bulk......
Just out of interest, which department / person is responsible for sourcing, pricing and obtaining all this stuff?

My point is that a closer Old Blue involvement might possibly lead to some more advantageous deals being obtained (or does this happen already?).

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

This was one the initial ideas I had for the forum, but I haven't managed to enthuse any will from the school (although to fair I haven't pushed that hard!)
A wish-list, as described above, is a fantastic way of helping finance the school - people feel like they're giving something tangible, maybe with their name on, either to a specific department, or boarding house.

I noticed when I was in the chapel recently that they had new hymn books - each had a name in the front (or at least some did) - having been an active member of the choir and chapel, I'd have happily funded one or more - but nobody asked, it wasn't in-my-face enough..

I feel that at least the Education Fund is more specific than just "money-in-the-coffers", but it's still difficult to understand the prioritised funding needs of the school.

Interactive white-boards??? Fantastic learning aids, that transforms learning in the classroom - really engages pupils, and brings IT into every lesson....(I work for RM (Research Machines Plc) and hence have a bit of vested interest!)
Click here for whiteboardinfo
They are fantastic when you see them in use....

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

Ah, so Julian works for RM. You'll know all about Tesco Computer for Schools then ? (RM are the suppliers of equipment to Tesco for this scheme). In that case, what about launching an appeal to all OBs to collect and send their Tesco Computer Vouchers in to a central office ? If a good proportion of OBs took part that could raise serious amounts of equipment ! Or is this a bit beneath CH ?