CH Band marching speeds

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

brian walling
LE (Little Erasmus)

CH Band marching speeds

Post by brian walling »

Just watched last Saturday's Beating Retreat 2019 on YouTube – impressive as usual. Thanks to "Aviator" for uploading this. Interesting to see that, as last year, the band did not wear housey coats. Maybe another good example of "global warming". 2019 can be downloaded at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWNu04lhMNE

I have often wondered how and by whom the pace of marching and thus the pace of the music is set. I often watch performances from earlier years – going back to 1992 – and there does seem to be some variation in marching speed between years. I had always believed that CH marched at standard British army speed of 120 paces per minute. In 2012, the march-off to Sussex by the Sea started at a ferocious pace of what must be at least 130 paces/minute (to see that go to 47 minutes into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhHkiLhfN4

So how is the CH band's marching/music speed regulated?
Ma A 53-60
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: CH Band marching speeds

Post by jhopgood »

My recollection is that we marched at 120, rifle brigade 140, and slow march around 60 - 80 (not sure on that one).
Playing with the local village band here in Spain, they do pasodobles at around 120, processions at about half speed, and Moors and Christians, around 60 - 80.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSz-wjFF7io
However, it all depends on the bass drummer, and I can imagine that Sussex, as the last march, could be taken faster so that they could get off parade.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

brian walling wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 am
I had always believed that CH marched at standard British army speed of 120 paces per minute. In 2012, the march-off to Sussex by the Sea started at a ferocious pace of what must be at least 130 paces/minute (to see that go to 47 minutes into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhHkiLhfN4

So how is the CH band's marching/music speed regulated?
To all intents and purposes, at least during the 1970's, the band was set up and run like a Royal Marines band. The Royal Marines march at 116 paces to the minute (as do the Foot Guards) so I would imagine that the CH band does the same.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Certainly in my band-time, the bandmaster was Mr 'Bill' Bailey, ex Royal Marines and he adhered to their standard.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

brian walling wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:14 am Just watched last Saturday's Beating Retreat 2019 on YouTube – impressive as usual. Thanks to "Aviator" for uploading this. Interesting to see that, as last year, the band did not wear housey coats. Maybe another good example of "global warming". 2019 can be downloaded at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWNu04lhMNE
Thanks for that, Brian. As good as I have ever seen Beating Retreat, possibly because of the filming quality. So far only seen excerpts totalling about 30 minutes. One thing really hit me about 5 minutes in was the Drum Major doing an about turn; the only time I have seen that footwork was by the drum majot and bank of the Polish Navy!! No objection there - just surprise.

As for shirtsleeves, if it was that hot, thenm why not? Far better to avoid the risk of someone fainting during a 65 minute parade. Back in the 1950's if it was hot then we wore blazers and slacks - this is a logical progression based on current clothing norms (no cravats these days!)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Things must be changing with regard to the heat. 'Elf and Insanity' gone mad, I expect. The armed forces dont make exceptions as far as I am aware. In fact, I believe fainting on parade is still an offence !!

I can remember going down to, I believe Chichester, (John H will know), at I believe Police headquarters.

We were performing along with the U.S.A.F 'dancing' band. It was a scorcher as I remember. Memory is fading, but I do recall a few of us wangled a view of their black museum. I remember the gall-stones which convicted the Crawley Acid Bath murderer, Haigh.

I also recall the Heacham band tour was a hot one, but no 'shirt sleeve' order allowed there either.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.