Why does Eton make headlines....?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

Re: Why does Eton make headlines....?

Post by Foureyes »

I am always surprised when Eton gets singled out as the place for top people's children and for subsequent alumni cohesion. In my experience Harrow, Charterhouse and Winchester are in the same league, but are seldom picked on in the same way. Indeed, Wykhamists, in particular, look after each other very closely. But, if fees are the standard by which schools are judged, even those of the UK institutions mentioned above pale into insignificance compared to some of the boarding schools in Switzerland and Germany. At La Rolle, for example, the annual fees are US$133,000, (that is an eye-watering £UK 105,000) but that is just basic - music, sports, etc are 'extras.'
David :shock:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Foureyes wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:58 pm I am always surprised when Eton gets singled out as the place for top people's children and for subsequent alumni cohesion. In my experience Harrow, Charterhouse and Winchester are in the same league, but are seldom picked on in the same way. Indeed, Wykhamists, in particular, look after each other very closely. But, if fees are the standard by which schools are judged, even those of the UK institutions mentioned above pale into insignificance compared to some of the boarding schools in Switzerland and Germany. At La Rolle, for example, the annual fees are US$133,000, (that is an eye-watering £UK 105,000) but that is just basic - music, sports, etc are 'extras.'
David :shock:
My view, for what it is worth, is that Eton is not singled out per se but stands out because certain of its alumni are, and have been, prominent, not always positively, in the public eye and any jibes are directed at the alumni as much as the School itself.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:58 pm I am always surprised when Eton gets singled out as the place for top people's children and for subsequent alumni cohesion. In my experience Harrow, Charterhouse and Winchester are in the same league, but are seldom picked on in the same way.
To a certain extent it comes down to intermarriage over the centuries.
There is one (Eton related) family I know of which dominated the banking community both in the UK and abroad PLUS insurance PLUS was important in literature PLUS painting (R.A. version) plus Pharmaceuticals PLUS UK port services plus ... all through intermarriage. When I started trying to work out the family tree I was amazed (Owen Glyndowr and S.T. Coleridge's descendents are in there as well!) at how widely they are spread.** On top of that they are mostly still in contact with each other and in some cases holding shares in each other's companies. I know that there was a French connection in the 1600's and the early 1900's and I suspect a Danish connection though I cannot find proper evidence of the latter. -I am NOT referring to the Rothschilds (to which much of the foregoing also relates).

** By coincidence I was having lunch with a friend in France and another guest's name rang a bell and she confirmeed her family's business and blood relationships going back to the 1700's and also marriage the early 1900's. I had not known but the CH office has told me that my own presentation came from the insurance side - you just can't escape from that crowd.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Mid A 15 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:43 pm My view, for what it is worth, is that Eton is not singled out per se but stands out because certain of its alumni are, and have been, prominent, not always positively, in the public eye and any jibes are directed at the alumni as much as the School itself.
It might be the silly uniform? Oh, wait...