The moon landing at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

The moon landing at CH

Post by Ajarn Philip »

I've just realised that "The moon landing at CH" is a rather ambiguous thread title, but I'm sure you know what I mean... :lol:

I would have been 12 years old when the landing took place, so at the end of my first year, and watched it with others in the front room of John Hall Hatthews and family, the assistant chaplain and junior housemaster of Maine A.

I think the landing was early evening, which wouldn't have been a problem, but I can't remember how much more we saw.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: The moon landing at CH

Post by Katharine »

I remember the landing as quite late in the evening and then exiting the capsule in the early hours of the morning.

I had just graduated, it was a Sunday night, the next day I was going to Birmingham for my VSO training. I went to bed after the landing, but my father woke me to see One small step ... saying I’d remember that night my whole life. He was correct, but I remember it more for him waking me! I’m not sure I remember seeing the actual first step on the moon!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I remember it well.

It's one of those events that stick in the mind for ever.

Well before that, I remember being in the sicker at CH and listening on a radio broadcast of one of the solo flight missions. Can't remember who it was, though.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:11 pm I think the landing was early evening, which wouldn't have been a problem, but I can't remember how much more we saw.
I found a timeline for Apollo 11, it shows it touched down at 21.18 BST, and the capsule opened at about 03.40 next morning. Touchdown was a bit earlier than I remembered, I must have stayed watching for some time hoping for more!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just having a Google and I'm pretty sure my sicker experience was May 1961. Alan Shepards flight.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:11 pm I've just realised that "The moon landing at CH" is a rather ambiguous thread title, but I'm sure you know what I mean... :lol:

I would have been 12 years old when the landing took place, so at the end of my first year, and watched it with others in the front room of John Hall Hatthews and family, the assistant chaplain and junior housemaster of Maine A.

I think the landing was early evening, which wouldn't have been a problem, but I can't remember how much more we saw.
Summer holidays must have been shorter then! Throughout my time at CH we broke up on the first weekend in July.

Alas I was born in the 1980s. How I wish I could have been alive to witness it.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

I know where I was... on a CH cricket tour in Holland. We played against an adult side whose members as part of their scientific work had stayed up all night. Consequently the CH side ran out as winners. Think I might have nabbed 4 of the easiest wickets of my career!
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Otter wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:50 am Summer holidays must have been shorter then! Throughout my time at CH we broke up on the first weekend in July.
Good point, backed up by harryh being in Holland at the time! I wonder if I'm remembering a later landing...? :?:
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

I have a vision of Howard charging in to bowl, long hair flowing behind. I was very young and in awe. Long time ago and the mind plays tricks but that seems to stick
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I was on holiday from university and alone at my parent’s house.
After it landed, for some reason I went into the garden and stared at the moon.
No-one waved back!!
I didn’t stay up to see them leave the capsule as I had to work next day, I think.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

Men have been sent to, and explored the Moon. Probes have been to Mars, Venus, Mercury, even the Sun, and to Jupiter and beyond, the entire Solar System has been scrutinised.

But no one has yet found a good explanation for why CH management tolerated so many perverts working there for so long.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

MrEd wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:54 pm Men have been sent to, and explored the Moon. Probes have been to Mars, Venus, Mercury, even the Sun, and to Jupiter and beyond, the entire Solar System has been scrutinised.

But no one has yet found a good explanation for why CH management tolerated so many perverts working there for so long.
Because there was/is no presteige nor money in fighting it too hard?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just for the record, our youngest daughter still believes the moon landing was all a big US conspiracy a la Capricorn 1.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

Just for the record, our youngest daughter still believes the moon landing was all a big US conspiracy a la Capricorn 1.
I read that someone told Buzz Aldrin the Moon landing was a hoax, and Buzz punched him. He's knocking on a bit now, but perhaps discretion is advised should they ever meet.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »