The moon landing at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: The moon landing at CH

Post by MrEd »

Mr Aldrin's punch was self-defence, and more justified than I had realised, he is truly a great man, my apologies to him for thinking it not massively provoked. Shame that these crack-pots get the oxygen of publicity, but forewarned is forearmed.

I do recall seeing a replica of the module at the Science Museum and thinking 'Are you seriously telling me people trusted their lives to something so small and fragile?'. But they were serious chaps backed by other serious people who all knew what they were doing.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

jhopgood wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:54 pm After it landed, for some reason I went into the garden and stared at the moon.
Next time you do this, perhaps worth thinking about what was left behind (https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... rs-science). My 6 year old daughter thinks this is the best thing ever.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

Just for the record, our youngest daughter still believes the moon landing was all a big US conspiracy a la Capricorn 1.
Have you asked her how they managed to launch so many rockets in public view, and then make them disappear? Why they cocked up Apollo 13, in the interests of 'faking it'? How they all kept quiet, for so long, and the Soviets didn't cry 'foul'?

There is a theory that they got Stanley Kubrick to fake (without CGI) the films of the astronauts on the Moon, he agreed, for a significant slice of the NASA budget, but being a perfectionist, insisted on filming the fake footage on location.
Gingerbeard17
2nd Former

Post by Gingerbeard17 »

Was definitely during school holidays. I was the only one in my family to stay up and watch the whole thing. I sat and listened to Pink Floyd as it seemed appropriate somehow.
Ma. B , Pe. B 1964 -1971
Hobby :drinkers:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Now I really want to know what I watched on John Hall Matthews' tv! I can only assume it was the second landing in November 69. I didn't realise they were so close together. 50 years worth of memories up the swannee... :roll: :lol:
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Having a July 12th Birthday I can remember end of term dates pretty well, think the earliest in my 7 years was the 5th and the latest the 11th

I wasnt alive for Apollo but do remember watching the Mary Rose being lifted - for some reason I was in the sicker and was able to watch it all on the TV in the dayroom there (which later became the museum)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Otter wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 am That guy is still at it!

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... d.amp.html
and no doubt still raking in the shekels.

Cynical? me? I wish I earned a living like that
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Term dates changed, but I’m not sure when. My brother’s birthday is 26 July but wasn’t always home for it. He was at CH from about 1953 to 61 or 2. I can’t remember which day of the week was always end of term, but Peter would be home if his birthday was the right day of the week that year! My Mother’s birthday was 15 September and, until Hertford went to 4 term years, we would both go back about her birthday.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

The Apollo XI anniversary has got me thinking about how primitive all the technologies were fifty years ago. For that first moon landing, we (living in Edinburgh) borrowed a black-and-white TV from a friend. Not having a TV of our own was not particularly eccentric in 1969. We stayed up all night to watch, and photographed the screen with a 35mm camera. I still have the numbered negatives, so I know what order things happened in. https://www.flickr.com/gp/jandsw/141L92
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Thanks John, absolutely amazing photos. On behalf of space geeks who were not born then and will probably never experience anything remotely comparable, these personal testimonies and household films are truly precious.
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

What struck me at the time was how briefly public interest lasted. There was quite good TV coverage of the second landing, and the drama of Apollo XIII gripped the world, but subsequent moon landings got less and less press and TV attention. I remember feeling disappointed, but most people seemed to have stopped caring.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

My recollections are of being on a CH Scout camp in Cwmcynwyn, Brecon, and having done a Scouts challenge walk into Brecon, watching it through the windows of a TV shop. By the by one P P DeW Burr was on that camp with JDS and ...?
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Jabod2 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 pm My recollections are of being on a CH Scout camp in Cwmcynwyn, Brecon, and having done a Scouts challenge walk into Brecon, watching it through the windows of a TV shop. By the by one P P DeW Burr was on that camp with JDS and ...?
PJHW?