What is the impact of a CH education?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Avon
Deputy Grecian

Re: What is the impact of a CH education?

Post by Avon »

MrEd wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:02 pm The plain: "A Royal, Religious and Ancient Foundation".
I hate this one. What’s the value in being ancient? It means ancient values, ancient diligence, an arrogance that nothing needs checking, and an inertia to do smart things.

How about, ‘Christ’s Hospital: if you survive seven years here, you’ve got life cracked’

Or...

‘A proper game of housey housey; if you luck out, you’re properly screwed.’
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

We always had to put the word Religious first, we were taught that was the most important of the three words.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

One group which is definitely aware of the CH abuse cases over the years is Boarding School Action which is keeping in close touch with the current Independent Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse (IICSA) and making sure that said inquiry is kept briefed about CH among others. It is fronted by a lady called Joanna Brittan who had bad experiences at Sherborne Prep many years ago and is determined to see that the profitable and vested interests of the boarding school sector are not allowed to blow too much smoke over such an inquiry.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

A few years ago I got a phone call from the splendidly named Hugo Middlemas soliciting a contribution. I told him truthfully that I'd retired on limited means and was not in a position to contribute (indeed I might have been a supplicant myself in the circumstances but was just about getting by). I don't know how he got my landline number but then there are a great many things I don't understand about modern day life so I have to assume that everyone knows everything about everyone else and we might as well stop worrying. I've no doubt younger, more tech-savvy people (like Banker Brown) could fill me in on these mysteries. It was strange because the only way he could have clocked me was from the Unofficial Website on which I've not exactly been complimentary about CH, at one point I think suggesting that a megabomb should be put under it and it should be blown sky-high. But there you are, maybe Hugo is a bit desperate for contributions. CH is clearly going down the same road as Crossrail, HS2 and Tottenham Hotspur's new stadium. Although I think the latter is now finished but Daniel Levy is juggling the options. No Daniel, Christian Erickssen is not for sale, nor Danny Rose. Try and confer with Potch now and again to work out who we need to keep. But isn't it interesting that CH can produce great poets, writers, composers and bouncing bombers but they still haven't produced a halfway decent accountant who can do double entry accounting.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

rockfreak writes: "I don't know how he got my landline number but then there are a great many things I don't understand about modern day life so I have to assume that everyone knows everything about everyone else and we might as well stop worrying."

You list your school on Facebook as "Christ's Hospital" and you live in Gravesend. That's a good starter. As you have a landline you are in the BT Residential directory. Also, judging by the Internet entries you are a prolific 'letters to the editor...' writer. So, not very difficult.

You also write: "I've no doubt younger, more tech-savvy people (like Banker Brown) could fill me in on these mysteries." Actually, I am several years older than you.

David :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:43 am rockfreak writes: "I don't know how he got my landline number but then there are a great many things I don't understand about modern day life so I have to assume that everyone knows everything about everyone else and we might as well stop worrying."
But of course. It is simply a case of keeping up to date which, with the internet and newspapers (as if one can believe one word a journalist writes) is easy. Of course the latest Intel - Windows furore takes some time to understand but even a dinosaur can get that eventually

One of the values of a CH education is the ability to assess information and (for most people) to come to sensible conclusions
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

It's an interesting point, this whole business about changing technology. When I was younger technology changed slowly. Now that I'm older it changes quickly. But I don't know that we're any better off. I live on my own these days and, as the saying goes, every older person needs a teenager living with them in order to keep up. Some people are, of course, naturally more tech-savvy than others, and while I'm not a natural born genius with computers neither do I believe that I'm preternaturally thick.
When I left school I worked for a while in an advertising agency and someone had just published a much remarked-on book called "The Medium Is the Message". I thought this a silly title. The message is always the same. Nothing new under the sun and all that. But the caves of Altamira, smoke signals, carrier pigeons, Wells Fargo, the telephone, and then the internet...it's the medium that changes. Too much attention is paid to the medium. The internet has enabled instant exchange of information but it's also enabled instant invasion of your privacy by other people. Like the previously mentioned H Middlemas. Are we any happier?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:43 am rockfreak writes: "I don't know how he got my landline number but then there are a great many things I don't understand about modern day life s
You also write: "I've no doubt younger, more tech-savvy people (like Banker Brown) could fill me in on these mysteries." Actually, I am several years older than you.

On the assumption that there is no other subscriber around Gravesend with you initial(s) then it is dead easy to go to the appropriate web site. There you can search All UK or by county or by town. It will also often give the names of any other adult living at the same address. OK so to get the full street address you have to subscribe but it is pence per entry. There are other sites which give a lot of your past history, crimes (if any) and finances, employers etc. to which one can subscribe professionally. (A friend was able to follow where my father lived from the 1910s until his death in 1950 - it is that detailed and none of the addresses were in England, Scotland or Wales)

The internet has enabled instant exchange of information but it's also enabled instant invasion of your privacy by other people. Like the previously mentioned H Middlemas. Are we any happier?

As written elsewhere, be afarid. With the Greenland icesheet disappearing so fast (I hope you can swim), with the Siberian tundra on fire be doubly afarid and blame a CH education plus the internet that you can understand what is happening. Did you see that article about a man recently collapsing in New York with bubonic plague? -
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Apart from the uncensored racism, misogyny, libel and other gratuitous insults (previously not allowed into the public domain by the sub-editors of newspapers, periodicals and broadcasting) that now proliferate on Twitter and which have, in my opinion, lowered the standard of debate and led to the success of Donald Trump and other unsavoury figures with an agenda of their own, the internet has encouraged verbosity in debate.
Imagine if Sejintenej had lived in ancient Rome. He'd have had quite a problem trying to etch his rambling thoughts on to clay tablets or papyrus or whatever it was they used then. He'd have been at it for months. A centurian would have turned up and said: "Right Banquero Brownus, we're about to invade Gaul! Stop that silly scribbling, grab a spear and get fell in. And anyone who disobeys orders will get crucified."
And of course this is exactly the point where some public school pedant is likely to try and score points by telling me that Romans didn't get crucified; that was only for slaves - or something like that.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

rockfreak writes: "Apart from the uncensored racism, misogyny, libel and other gratuitous insults (previously not allowed into the public domain by the sub-editors of newspapers, periodicals and broadcasting) that now proliferate on Twitter and which have, in my opinion, lowered the standard of debate and led to the success of Donald Trump and other unsavoury figures with an agenda of their own, the internet has encouraged verbosity in debate."

A case of pot calling kettle black, I feel,
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:24 pm
Imagine if Sejintenej had lived in ancient Rome. He'd have had quite a problem trying to etch his rambling thoughts on to clay tablets or papyrus or whatever it was they used then. He'd have been at it for months.
Being dyslexic I don't like writing though with time it has become easier. It was CH that forced me to fight against that weakness.
The longest epistle I can remember writing professionally came to 67 pages, single sided, A4, Ariel 12, single spacing and took about a day. Got a favourable win in court. Separately I did a series of documents for a single deal, probably coming to about the same length in total which got a front page mention in the FT.

A couple of shorter ones have done a bit better - 500 words and 25 minutes (including editing) = a very nice prize, and quote in the FT. Another semiprofessional piece got cash from the City of London - perhaps 20 minutes at the outside.

I haven't the patience to take much more time. It isn't the volume or the number of items but it is who reads them and the effect each has. I do get a bit of debate in another volume newspaper and also in it's internet discussion site
A centurian would have turned up and said: "Right Banquero Brownus, we're about to invade Gaul! Stop that silly scribbling, grab a spear and get fell in. ."
To which my reply would have been that a spear is one thing, a centurian's sword is another and an atlatl is a killing device (which Banquero Brownus has used) so where is mine? Oh, and I don't speak Latin.
And of course this is exactly the point where some public school pedant is likely to try and score points by telling me that Romans didn't get crucified; that was only for slaves - or something like that.
LOL I have no idea - I thought that they took the belly out of the tenth centurion with a sword. I prefered to score my points and get my prizes with an International 4. (which is where the CCF fu**ed up)

Correction; my biography is much longer but, yes, has taken much more time and I haven't even got to CH yet.
Last edited by sejintenej on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:24 pm Apart from the uncensored racism, misogyny, libel and other gratuitous insults (previously not allowed into the public domain by the sub-editors of newspapers, periodicals and broadcasting) that now proliferate on Twitter and which have, in my opinion, lowered the standard of debate and led to the success of Donald Trump and other unsavoury figures with an agenda of their own,
You mention the twitterers on Twitter, what about the blabbers on Beeb and as for Trump, don't forget Corbyn? IMHO the entire information sphere has gone to the east which is why I try to bring some sense to one newspaper
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Elvie wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:59 pm The survey seemed to be a crass mechanism to identify where to focus their fundraising efforts; “What is your income and are you likely to part with it?”

I’d Be happy if someone proved me wrong
Agree.

It is not a survey but a data collection exercise.

I would have filled it in had they made it clear that is the real purpose.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

AMP wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:07 pm
Elvie wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:59 pm The survey seemed to be a crass mechanism to identify where to focus their fundraising efforts; “What is your income and are you likely to part with it?”

I’d Be happy if someone proved me wrong
Agree.

It is not a survey but a data collection exercise.

I would have filled it in had they made it clear that is the real purpose.
Yes, my overriding impression was that they simply wanted to know how rich I am (or not in my case).

Given my lack of wealth and age I do not envisage hearing too much more from them in the future.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I'm glad to hear that someone else is aged and not rich as Croesus, MidA15. Living here in Kent, our main problem these days is keeping cool.