Andrew Fawcett R.I.P.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Andrew Fawcett R.I.P.

Post by J.R. »

I was saddened to read today on the latest C.H.O.B.A. newsleter of the passing of Andrew Fawcett ColB 54-61. He was two years my senior, a house monitor. I thinks it's fair to say we weren't mates' obviously because of the age difference.

However, a few years ago, at a Coleridge B re-union event, we met up and spent some time re-living the Halcion (?) days in house under the leadership of N.T. (Bogey) Fryer as housemaster.

Too young an age to die but a stark reminder to some of us that time is short.

R.I.P.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Andrew Fawcett R.I.P.

Post by rockfreak »

Andrew Fawcett was a friend of mine in Col B. We had animated arguments about football. He was Crystal Palace, I was Tottenham. Our lot seemed to spend as much time debating football and the latest pop music as we did academic subjects. My house captain in my last year was a lovely chap called Bob Leach who subsequently went to Oxford and my friends that year included John Steward, Ken Baumber and Alan Rowe. Ring any bells?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

All those names ring plenty of bells David.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:51 pm my friends that year included John Steward, Ken Baumber and Alan Rowe. Ring any bells?
Ken Baumber and I arrived at CH on the same train. Our families shared a carriage and walked together from the station until we were directed in opposite directions (ColB vs MaA). While Ken and I seldom interacted over the years, our mothers stayed in touch for some time.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I seem to remember that Ken came from Hassocks and had a single mother at the time. I've lost touch with just about everyone and would love to know a bit more about what happened to them and indeed what they thought about boarding school education. Perhaps their absence from this site answers that question! I'm virulently against boarding schools and so-called "public schools" in general but my best memories of CH are of my last year when I had a group of politically and intellectually switched-on friends who seemed to have caught the zeitgeist of the coming 1960s and who didn't buy into the establishment values that were being sold us.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I think that’s why our mothers bonded, mine was also single (having been deserted by two husbands). Sending me to CH was largely a financial decision.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg