Re: John Mason, teacher, circa 1976

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
The information has now been passed on to my friend.
As I said, good to clear up what has clearly been a confusion on the net.
I found that people's thoughts on the (then) new theatre were interesting to read.
I've started off a new thread about this... :D
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Spoonbill wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:42 pm
And Ian Cook/Edgar Newman (?) taking it in turns to play Cain on alternate nights and climbing up a rope almost to the ceiling of the auditorium, spotlit, then swivelling around in the air like trapeze artistes. I've a sneaking feeling there may have been no Risk Assessment and there was definitely no protective clothing or safety net.
They didn't climb a rope, they were in a proper (for the 1970's) harness with a system of ropes to haul them up. If you let go they came down quickly, but not dangerously so!
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Well, yes, I remember that there was some sort of harness involved, but to the bystander it still looked pretty death-defying and almost certainly it was all rather primitive by today's rigorous standards, which would probably involve the wearing of a crash helmet and a foam rubber suit, with the stage being a giant trampoline and Ian's/Edgar's parents being required to sign a disclaimer in case their sons died anyway.

Were you on the other end of the safety rope, Andrew?
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Spoonbill wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:55 pm Were you on the other end of the safety rope, Andrew?
Some of the time, I think that there were three or four of us in turns (two at a time).
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
Ever Bluer
3rd Former

Post by Ever Bluer »

John Mason joined the Horsham Staff in 1973 straight from Cambridge and stayed until 1977. He was a tutor in Peele B, taught me French and was very much as Spoonbill describes him. He did indeed write the book and lyrics for CAIN!!! and I have to agree with Loringa that they were disappointing, but we understood that he nonetheless left CH in order "to write" and I vaguely recall that he was said to be living in a wood or forest somewhere.