History in the fifties?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: History in the fifties?

Post by J.R. »

At my ever increasing age, with two daughters, four grand-children, (and two G/Grandchildren), it seems to me that history today is taught to suit todays situation and political correctness :o .
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Ajarn Philip wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 pm Today's kids are undoubtedly being taught about the history of the fifties... :mrgreen:
This has not been my experience but maybe a history teacher could confirm one way or another. Despite its importance: Cold War, Hot War (Korea and French Indo-China), US Civil Rights movement, Apartheid in South Africa, McCarthyism in the US; Suez conflict etc, the 195-s seems largely to have been overlooked with, for most, history seeming to stop at the end of World War 2. The National Curriculum for Key Stages 3 and 4 has this to say:

Pupils should be taught about challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day. In addition to studying the Holocaust, this could include:
Examples (non-statutory)
 women’s suffrage
 the First World War and the Peace Settlement
 the inter-war years: the Great Depression and the rise of dictators
 the Second World War and the wartime leadership of Winston Churchill
 the creation of the Welfare State
 Indian independence and end of Empire
 social, cultural and technological change in post-war British society
 Britain’s place in the world since 1945

The first 4 seem to be covered reasonably well; the last 4 less so.
I would add the import of labour from the West Indies, Idi Amin and the expulsion of Indians, mainly to the UK, Cuba missile crisis, the end of Apartheid and the influx of South Africans into Britain, multiple wars in the Middle east and Israel, Grenada, Falklands, The fall of the Iron Curtain, the Hungarian uprising as just a few which have had an influence in the UK
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

sejintenej wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:44 pm I would add the import of labour from the West Indies, Idi Amin and the expulsion of Indians, mainly to the UK, Cuba missile crisis, the end of Apartheid and the influx of South Africans into Britain, multiple wars in the Middle east and Israel, Grenada, Falklands, The fall of the Iron Curtain, the Hungarian uprising as just a few which have had an influence in the UK
Indeed but I was limiting my comments to the 1950s specifically (although the excerpt from the National Curriculum covers the whole post-war era).
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

What about the campaign in Malaya 1947-59, in which many Old Blues took part?
:shock: David