Neil Simms

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Re: Neil Simms

Post by Spoonbill »

sejintenej wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:27 pm At 76 I am still doing some of those exercises but properly (under medical advice).
Star jumps?
gneuss
2nd Former

Post by gneuss »

AMP wrote
"March was an unusual time to leave?"
Yes, it was. I think only three of us left then. I'd come up the fast way through LE and GE so took my A levels a year early. It was all planned for me to stay on and do S levels then Oxbridge entrance and follow my sister who after being at CH in Hertford had won an exhibition to St Annes Oxford. I had other ideas. I'd had enough of the hallowed towers and wanted to go to a new university and Warwick had its first intake that year. As soon as they offered me an unconditional place I was off and I've never regretted it. It also gave me six months to acclimatise back into the 'real' world- the summer of 1966 (and living in London) was a good year to do that.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Spoonbill wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:33 pm
sejintenej wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:27 pm At 76 I am still doing some of those exercises but properly (under medical advice).
Star jumps?
No; should not do those. Principally the flexibility exercises and upper body (plus a lot of weights)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Martin Chuzzletits
2nd Former

Post by Martin Chuzzletits »

Neil Simms was a house tutor in my senior house for the whole four years I was there, in which context we only spoke once in all that time. Frankly he was pretty uninvolved in house activities and only seemed to put in the barest minimum of appearances necessary. His life seemed to be more about teaching, sport and his family, so I'm surprised to learn he was eventually made a housemaster. I wouldn't have imagined he'd have had time to fit it into his life. He seemed like a decent enough sort though.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Martin Chuzzletits wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:20 am Neil Simms was a house tutor in my senior house for the whole four years I was there, in which context we only spoke once in all that time. Frankly he was pretty uninvolved in house activities and only seemed to put in the barest minimum of appearances necessary. His life seemed to be more about teaching, sport and his family, so I'm surprised to learn he was eventually made a housemaster. I wouldn't have imagined he'd have had time to fit it into his life. He seemed like a decent enough sort though.
That surprised me at first, then I thought about Col A where I spent most of my senior years. I remember Stan Malone and then Peter Brotherton as Housemasters, but for the life of me I can't remember who the house tutors were, never mind speaking to them!
ColA25
2nd Former

Post by ColA25 »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 am for the life of me I can't remember who the house tutors were, never mind speaking to them!
In the 1974 house photo were Peter Brotherton, Neil Simms and Mike Barford. In the 1975 photo were just Peter Brotherton and John Trappes-Lomax.
Phil Naylor
BaB17 / ColA25
1971-77
Scheuller
2nd Former

Post by Scheuller »

Is there any particular reason why there were just two of the fellas in the picture in 1975?