I.A.R. Christie, Lamb A 1956-63

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: I.A.R. Christie, Lamb A 1956-63

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:26 pm Pop quiz: which family had the most brothers at CH?

In my day, the Savages. 3 (or 4?).
Also in your day 3 Farnfields.

I was in Maine A in my first year with 3 Pratts (name not nature), Graham, Robin and Martin, and they had an older brother apparently before my time.

There were also (3 I think ) Pratt sisters at Hertford alongside the boys in Horsham one of whom (Angela from memory) used to post on here some years back.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Foureyes wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:29 pm "...are not 'town planner' and 'Milton Keynes' mutually exclusive?"
It was only meant as a joke - please don't take it seriously.
David :shock:

It's an interesting point isn't it, this business of planned versus unplanned. A grid system or a system that evolves organically? Or maybe just spreads into suburban sprawl. Any architects out there who could give us the blueprint for the perfect town? Sorry Ian Christie, you've somehow been forgotten! By the way JR, you've forgotten the Seymour brothers who were in Col B in our time. And were there a pair of Sanders brothers? The elder one was known as Kipper Sanders (for reasons which I don't remember) and was a good track athlete.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

There were three Wansey sisters in Hertford and at least two brother, twins, at Horsham. I don’t remember any other trios in my time.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Both of the boys, David and Jonathan, went on to be prep school Headmasters, one in Dorset and one in Nottinghamshire, I think.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Mid A 15 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:32 pm
Ajarn Philip wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:26 pm Pop quiz: which family had the most brothers at CH?

I was in Maine A in my first year with 3 Pratts (name not nature), Graham, Robin and Martin, and they had an older brother apparently before my time.

There were also (3 I think ) Pratt sisters at Hertford alongside the boys in Horsham one of whom (Angela from memory) used to post on here some years back.
In the 00s and 10s there were 6 Haydens that went through CH ..5 boys and one girl. Started in Eastbourne, ended up on a Scottish Isle.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

I remember the Farnfields well, but perhaps not as well as I thought, as I only remember 2 of them! Pete was in the year above me, and became a very impressive Band Captain (is that the right term?). We used to share lifts to and from school and I have painful memories of bumpy rides in the back of their well-used farm Land Rover... :lol:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

harryh wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:44 pm Both of the boys, David and Jonathan, went on to be prep school Headmasters, one in Dorset and one in Nottinghamshire, I think.
Jonathan was my nursemaid.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:48 am

I remember the Farnfields well, but perhaps not as well as I thought, as I only remember 2 of them! Pete was in the year above me, and became a very impressive Band Captain (is that the right term?). We used to share lifts to and from school and I have painful memories of bumpy rides in the back of their well-used farm Land Rover... :lol:
Peter (who was a year below me), David and Stephen.

Peter's son teaches (taught) at CH and became a housemaster in Mid A our old senior house.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:42 pm
Foureyes wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:29 pm "...are not 'town planner' and 'Milton Keynes' mutually exclusive?"
It was only meant as a joke - please don't take it seriously.

It's an interesting point isn't it, this business of planned versus unplanned. A grid system or a system that evolves organically? Or maybe just spreads into suburban sprawl. Any architects out there who could give us the blueprint for the perfect town? Sorry Ian Christie, you've somehow been forgotten! By the way JR, you've forgotten the Seymour brothers who were in Col B in our time. And were there a pair of Sanders brothers? The elder one was known as Kipper Sanders (for reasons which I don't remember) and was a good track athlete.
I'd completely forgotten the Seymours. I didn't know Kipper Sanders had a brother. A great athlete who hailed from Ferring. We met up again a few years ago at a Col B reunion.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Rockfreak queries the name 'Kipper.' I did not know the bloke concerned, but at my prep school one of my friends was Kipper Ruth. He was known as that because his first name was Christopher and the nearest he could get to pronouncing that long and convoluted name when very young was 'Kipper', which he was then stuck with for the rest of his life. That might, repeat might, be the explanation in your case.
Fidésien
2nd Former

Post by Fidésien »

I’m sorry about the delay in responding to Brian Watling's posting. Yes, David Christie was Ian Christie’s elder brother, also in Lamb A. They were both quite tall with fine, curly-ish fair hair. I don’t know what happened to David, but I vaguely think that he left CH after A levels; and that a few years later he was doing a Dip Ed at Cambridge. [What your younger readers would now call a PGCE.]

Since the thread subsequently developed into discussion of sets of brothers at school, it is a curious piece of trivia that the only two sets of brothers in Lamb A both had three initials each; DJA and IAR Christie and DJR and MSJ Evans. [I think as a general rule we thought that three initials was a sign of social pretensions !] DJR [David] Evans was House Captain of Lamb A in 1956-57, a Modern Language Grecian, played scrum half for the first XV, and subsequently went on to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. After which he was ordained in the Church of England, and became a Bishop in Latin America working with SAMS. As far as I know he lives in retirement somewhere near Malvern. His younger brother MSJ [Michael] Evans was an exact contemporary in Lamb A. He also played scrum half and became House Captain in 1963-64. After CH he went into journalism. I haven’t seen him since school-days, but I saw his name occasionally as a Defence Correspondent for The Times.And there was once a photo of him in The Times [in a feature called Me and My car] wearing a sheepskin jacket and driving the sort of old Jaguar that we associate with Morse [the television series not the books, where he drives a Lancia].
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

Burns and McDaid also at least 3 each, I think.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

The McDaids! How could I have forgotten them? Paddy, Mick and... erm... McDaid Junior. Mid B. I have fond memories of Mick, who was my contemporary, particularly propping against him. I believe he joined the Hong Kong police.
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:00 pm The McDaids! How could I have forgotten them? Paddy, Mick and... erm... McDaid Junior. Mid B. I have fond memories of Mick, who was my contemporary, particularly propping against him. I believe he joined the Hong Kong police.
... Peter?
Mick was our secret weapon - once he had fired at the opposing scrum defending under the posts, they realised that he didn't stop, and parted like the Red Sea on subsequent penalties...
Ali Burns broke his collar bone by emulating him and encountering the post... That forced me from wing to wing-forward - something I didn't enjoy. I was certainly not of their calibre!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jabod2 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm
Ali Burns broke his collar bone by emulating him and encountering the post... That forced me from wing to wing-forward - something I didn't enjoy. I was certainly not of their calibre!
Having failed to link up with CHOB I played abroad on a pitch which had the texture of a well rolled cricket pitch. As a lock I was reasonably safe apart from skinning every week except that the middle of the back was a bit over 25 stone , very fit and could push! Not a lucky man; one match he was off at the end with his third dislocated shoulder - third in that game. I think we averaged a broken bone (almost always clavicules) every 5 or 6 weeks even though there was a convention that once tackled you were "gently" lowered to the ground.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!