CH Closed. COVID19

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

CH Closed. COVID19

Post by J.R. »

Youngest daughter has just advised me she has seen a news report on line, that CH has closed because of the above, apart from one year in midst of exams.

And I thought my finger was on the pulse !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: CH Closed. COVID19

Post by J.R. »

John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

In our time, they wouldn’t have been able to inform all the parents quickly. We didn’t have a phone at home when I started at Hertford. Do they now insist on email contact for all parents?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

In the late 60's we finished term a few days early because of a flu epidemic. I've no idea how our parents were contacted!
Goatherd
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Goatherd wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 pm In the late 60's we finished term a few days early because of a flu epidemic. I've no idea how our parents were contacted!
Remember it well, Bill!
AStaverton
2nd Former

Post by AStaverton »

In the last term of 1948, Edwards of Col B contracted Polio, about two or three weeks before the end of term. Certain activities at CH, Horsham were curtailed. They included large gatherings deemed not totally necessary, also energetic sports and travel to other schools for matches. With no trace of sarcasm I think that most Chapel services were also included, with daily House “Duty” prayers morning and evening, instead of evening only. (Incidentally are there still such daily Christian evening prayers in the houses? If so what form do they take and can non-Christians be excused from attendance? They could not in 1948.)

Parents were all informed by a then current and efficient communication method, called the Postal Service. (My family never had a telephone during my 9 years at CH and I think the majority of other contemporary Blues were similarly deprived.) For most of Britain in those days a letter posted before mid afternoon was delivered next day. Further there were two home deliveries of letters daily (early morning and mid-afternoon) with one delivery on Saturday. Distribution methods only employed trains, motor vehicles and walking. Some trains used hand sorting methods for the mail in transit.

Parents were informed of the Polio situation, the precautions being taken (and most importantly of all for me) told that they could remove their boys before the end of term, only if non-public transport was used. By chance across the road from my home lived a chap who had a big, old car and he made his living using it as a private car for hire. So I was able to go home. I gathered that life for the rest of the term was relaxed and all pupils preferred that situation.

There were happy outcomes. Dr Thomas Scott’s precautions were successful, for no other cases of Polio occurred at CH and Edwards returned to school after a couple of months, with only a very slight limp.
Last edited by AStaverton on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

J.R. wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:12 pm Youngest daughter has just advised me she has seen a news report on line, that CH has closed because of the above, apart from one year in midst of exams.
So far (insh'Allah) my daughter's school is remaining open. As she has GCSEs this year it would be disruptive to her education if it were to shut and I note that both Years 11 and 13 are remaining at CH.

The former Headmaster of Wellington College, and now Vice Chancellor of Buckingham (private) University, was reported in The Times as asking: 'how bad would it be if GCSEs were deferred to September?' I was horrified - has he forgotten how much stress these kids are under at this time? Also, does he think that, with the best will in the world, they will be able to keep the necessary levels of revision going throughout the summer holidays?

It would be disruptive to my daughter's education if her school closed but their are various e-learning contingency plans in place; it would be a nightmare if GCSEs were deferred (though clearly options need to be available for kids who are under the weather with Covid-19 and miss an exam or exams). Glad to see CH currently plans to reopen for the summer term.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

AStaverton wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:00 am In the last term of 1948, Edwards of Col B contracted Polio,

There were happy outcomes. Dr Thomas Scott’s precautions were successful, for no other cases of Polio occurred at CH and Edwards returned to school after a couple of months, with only a very slight limp.
I vividly remember the polio epidemic and the iron lungs though that was before I went to CH.

I don't know how he did it but Dr Scott had ideas well ahead of his times which were transmitted to a favoured few.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

Could it be more about CH being an ideal location for a temporary hospital?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:02 am
It would be disruptive to my daughter's education if her school closed but their are various e-learning contingency plans in place; it would be a nightmare if GCSEs were deferred (though clearly options need to be available for kids who are under the weather with Covid-19 and miss an exam or exams). Glad to see CH currently plans to reopen for the summer term.
Bit of a risk to keep about 200 who are taking exams but perhaps the best alternative.
As to options if a pupil is under the weather this was seen in Col A when I was there. A senior boy taking I think S levels had trouble with the strain and kept under sedation. For exams he was woken up and took the exams under supervision in his sicker bed.

Bad mumps epidemic when I was there - they did not close the school nor shorten the term.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Concerning the story about CH Horsham closing due to coronavirus - I wonder whether this is true, as it is given in just one local newspaper four days ago and has not been confirmed by the school or any other reputable source? There is a lot of bum information going round. Out of interest I looked at the Lincoln Christ's Hospital website to see if there was any confusion between the two schools - as sometimes happens. Apparently a story has been circulating in Lincolnshire that that school has had one pupil diagnosed with COVID19, but that has been categorically denied by the school. So , I urge caution until CH Horsham either confirms or denies the story.
David :shock:
PS. Before anyone rips into me for using the term 'CH Horsham' I have done so deliberately in this one instance to ensure there is no confusion in this post between our CH and the similarly named school in Lincoln.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

It’s on the school Facebook and social media feeds, and was confirmed by a parent my other half knows.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Apparently a contributory factor in Covid deaths is that patients can have pneumonia without presenting any symptons, so that when symptons do present, the patient is already very sick.

A pulse oximeter can give you advance warning of low blood oxygen levels

I have ordered one off Amazon for about £25. Read the reviews first, some might be dodgy
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

One of the more encouraging things to emerge from this present crisis is that some preparatory boarding schools are starting to go bust. These dubious institutions are of course essentially a profit-making business designed to help the rich give their brats a leg-up over others in the race for good qualifications and jobs. CH is slightly different in that it takes in less well off brats and gives them a leg up. Although not the very least advantaged of course. It takes care not to be lumbered with them and consigns them to the local councils who are struggling with ten years of Tory cuts. And of course it can expel (or "ask to leave") if they become too rebellious. I was one of those less well off youngsters who got access to facilities that were denied to my state school primary when I joined CH in 1952. I remember sitting in my class in Prep that year wondering why it was half the size of my old class.
The virtue of state schools, along with all other public goods, is that generally they can reschedule debt and survive. We are not Greece. We will not be treated so harshly by the central banks. But the "Independent" school sector (for which read "Private") prides itself on being self sufficient. So it must sink or swim on its own finances. For CH, all those holdings of land in the City and elsewhere. And the goodwill of Old Blues who might be a bit less benevolent these days having discovered that sex abuse by staff went on uncovered for thirty years. CH has built magnificent facilities for arts, sports, music, etc, employed loads of staff to coach in these areas. Now it must finance them. Their bed. They must lie in it.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

I think everyone will be affected, state schools in particular.
And the buses, railways, even maybe airlines will have to be renationalised. The railways are, in all but name.
This is one bailout too far.
Our gradual economic decline will be be accelerated by Covid and our third world status will be confirmed by Brexit.
In the meantime we will continue to borrow in Zimbabwesque proportions and of course we will need to borrow another £39bn to pay for a rebranded Brexit at the end of the year.
In the long term we will do what other third world countries do. "Sorry can't pay you back" and let the lenders take a haircut.
But borrowing money will become increasingly difficult and expensive.
Everyone will have to contribute more and there will be another redistribution of wealth leaving the poor even poorer.
And pensioners might even have to contribute!
So enjoy the triple lock and guaranteed 2.5% uptick whilst it lasts
Last edited by AMP on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.