WATER TOWER

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: WATER TOWER

Post by J.R. »

Good question Matt !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Thank you to all for the information - I shall settle for 120 feet - and for the mathematical discussion, which, sadly, I did not begin to understand! Expressions such as "Tan A - Tan B" are totally beyond me.
But, thanks again,
David :shock:
brian walling
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by brian walling »

AMP wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:39 pm
brian walling wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:12 am An interesting ‘aside’ from the underlying topic:

Quite coincidentally, the CH Water Tower and its height were fresh in my mind yesterday when I answered the original post. My wife’s family in UK has ancestral links to a small town in central Germany and just the day before yesterday we unearthed a new fact about the German family in the 1800s. They held the position of town watchman and resided in a small house built on top of the town’s fortified medieval church tower. The tower is listed as being 36 metres or 120 feet high. This immediately struck me as being exactly the height of CH’s tower. Imagine living that high up (300+steps) and even being born up there, as the children were, including the one who subsequently emigrated to England. The ‘live-in’ arrangement ended in the 1840s, but the tower-house survived and you can now have your wedding up there if you want something unusual.
I would be interested to know the name of that place - worth a visit if I am ever in the vicinity
Sorry that I missed your request for more info until now .

The place is Neukirchen, in Hessen. It's about 50km SSW of Kassel and 100km NNE of Frankfurt/Main. Look for Bad Hersfeld and it's about 25 km W of that. I've developed an illustrated write-up about Neukirchen for my wife, as part of a family history that she is preparing. We've already circulated this within the family (it's an emailable 8 page pdf) and I'd be happy to send you a copy if your interest extends that far. Interesting points about Neukirchen included in my write-up are: It's in the heart of Little Red Riding Hood country (Brothers Grimm); the Big Bad Wolf seems to be a local cultural icon; and its not far from the Eder Dam, one of the German Dams breached in the Dambusters raids in 1943. Just send me a PM with an email address that I can use for you.
Ma A 53-60
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Most interesting Brian.
I will, thanks
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Foureyes wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:40 am Does anyone know the height of the water tower?
This question was posed once before, but while it generated many remarks and reminiscences, not one answered the question!
So, to be specific, what is the height of the water tower (answers in feet or metres, don't mind which)?
Should be on the school plans

Contact The Business Manager Jacqui Duggan.

A copy of the plans will also be with the school architect and in the Museum
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

AMP
Thanks. Will do,
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

You're welcome David.

The school needed them for building regs when they revamped the kitchens recently