RIP Tom Jeffers 1944-2020

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: RIP Tom Jeffers 1944-2020

Post by Otter »

Fantastic recollections, wonderful read, thank you David.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Otter wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:43 am Fantastic recollections, wonderful read, thank you David.
Ditto from me !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Tom Jeffers was my A level German teacher for two years in middle 80s and was a wonderful schoolmaster. His physical presence and mop of grey hair
made him stand out in any crowd. He was inspiring, cultured and just a great member of the CH community. I was in PeB when he was PeA housemaster but often we would walk the Grecians Path together getting back to Peele. Jackie was a staff member at the Grecians Club duing my last year and as Club President we would often be behind the bar. Sadly I underperformed in German A level and felt guilty for a while after, feeling having let Tom and Patrick Cullen down. But when I saw Tom during a visit to Oakham School in 1993 (son Ed was a colleague teaching..German!), he was his typical friendly and gregarious self. A great guy and one of CH's best in the 80s. RIP Sir.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

AMP wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm http://thepilgrims.org.uk/wp/tom-jeffers-rip/
Small world and I will have to check up with my cousin, but I believe my Uncle Mick was instrumental in setting up these Pilgrimages and if so, would probably have met Jeffers, who was after my time.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Obit written by my cousin, Aidan Simons.
Apparently died of Covid-19
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

MrEd wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:35 am It is important to remember with all the disgrace around the scandals at CH that teachers like Mr Jeffers were also there, and they should not be eclipsed by the darkness of those wretched few.
These words, together with the numerous tributes in this thread and elsewhere, speak volumes about the life of Tom Jeffers. He arrived late in my time at CH and never taught me, but although I had limited contact with him, I have very positive memories of the man. My mother suffered from dementia in the last few years of her life, and with the greatest of respect to Tom's family and to Tom himself, I hope I cause no offence when I say that his passing as a result of Covid-19 may well have been a release from terrible confusion and suffering.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

https://www.oldcicestrians.co.uk/dougla ... 1943-2020/

Picture of T.J.Jeffers in 1st XV photo 1960-61

7th from left, back row
SazzaJ
2nd Former

Post by SazzaJ »

I’ve only just seen this thread, but I wanted to thank everyone who has shared such lovely tributes and memories of my dear Dad.

He sadly succumbed to Covid-19 on 27th March, his body having been weakened by advancing dementia and increasing weakness. Dementia is a cruel disease, made worse by Dad’s mainly manifesting itself as loss of language. A great irony. However, he never really had an awareness of his own condition, and he enjoyed the company of friends and family (he still recognised everyone) until the end.

I continue to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of kind messages that I’ve seen on several OB Facebook groups, and that have been sent direct to Mum via other means. I have shared them all with her and the family. Sadly, my brother Ed and sister Kate have been unable to visit since Dad’s passing, as they live on the Isle of Man and Guernsey respectively, but the messages have been of some comfort to them.

I feel so proud to be my father’s daughter - not many children of teachers are as lucky! His life may have been cut short (he was only 75) but his amazing legacy lives on.

We hope to someday have a memorial (or big party!) to celebrate Dad’s life. Mum commented that she will need to hire the O2....

Thank you all again.

Sarah Garland (nee Jeffers)
BaB 85-91