Dining hall dimensions

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Dining hall dimensions

Post by LongGone »

Getting away from the current doom and gloom, and the political diatribes: does anyone know the dimensions of the dining hall? I can find how much it costs to rent, along with other unwanted information, but not its size.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Dining hall dimensions

Post by J.R. »

No idea of the dimensions.

I know it was considered for Harry Potter filming and has been used for filming a Fairy Liquid ad some years ago.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 pm No idea of the dimensions.

I know it was considered for Harry Potter filming and has been used for filming a Fairy Liquid ad some years ago.
The intent for Harry Potter was there but in order to get the equipment in they would have had to dismantle the doorway; it was that which put thew kybosh on it (or so we were told)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

sejintenej wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:57 pm

The intent for Harry Potter was there but in order to get the equipment in they would have had to dismantle the doorway; it was that which put thew kybosh on it (or so we were told)
sejintenej wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:57 pm

No such problem for Nanette Newman and her bottle of Fairy
alterblau
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by alterblau »

Here is an estimate of the interior dimensions of the Dining Hall, 54 x 20 m (or 177 x 66 ft). It is inaccurate, but if I explain how I calculated it the better memories of others may allow an improved estimate.

I looked at the image of the Dining Hall on Google Maps, then guessed the relation of the interior walls to the building’s exterior (ie guessed the widths of the Court Room, the Corridor between the Hall and the kitchens and the Masters’ Common Room complex. So, using the scale on the screen and a simple calculation involving proportions, an answer was available.

Someone with lots of trigonometrical ability could use the map to determine the distances between the Water Tower and the corners of the Dining Hall, Then using one of the many existing images showing both the width of the Dining Hall and the top of the Water Tower (known height 120 feet), a calculation of the width, but not depth, of the Dining Hall’s interior could be made. One would have to know the position of the camera. This is possible if the walkways in the main quad are seen on the image and then located on the map. A better estimate with less guesswork would then be derived.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I have a vague recollection being told in about 1951-2 (yes, that long ago!) that the C.H. dining-hall roof was the largest unsupported roof in England, but don't know how accurate a statement that was.
I also remember someone using a knife as a catapult to launch a flab (remember them?) up to the ceiling to which it adhered for many weeks, a yellow blob among all that timber, and incontrovertible evidence of the crime. The perpetrator was never found, although a ballistic analysis suggested someone in Barnes B or Maine A.
David :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Foureyes wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 am I have a vague recollection being told in about 1951-2 (yes, that long ago!) that the C.H. dining-hall roof was the largest unsupported roof in England, but don't know how accurate a statement that was.
I heard that at OB day a few years ago and Big School came in at number 2.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

LongGone wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:05 pm Getting away from the current doom and gloom, and the political diatribes: does anyone know the dimensions of the dining hall? I can find how much it costs to rent, along with other unwanted information, but not its size.
The school should be able to provide this as they would have to have had this for the new kitchens - simply for planning and building regs.

Contact The Business Manager Jacqui Duggan.

A copy of the plans will also be with the school architect and in the Museum
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The plans for the dining hall including dimensions could well be on the new kitchen dimensions and would be on Horsham District council’s website...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Alex
2nd Former

Post by Alex »

To add further to the statements that the Dining Hall is the first or second largest unsupported roof in the UK, I remember hearing (and cannot give the source, having forgotten it) that it is the second largest wooden unsupported roof in the UK. The largest is apparently Westminster Hall (size 73.2 x 20.7 m, according to Wikipedia) in the Houses of Parliament. This is probably true for the largest unsupported roof in Europe is the Stockwell (London) Bus Garage at 6814 sq m and large enough to house 200 double deckers (again Wikipedia) and far, far larger than the Dining Hall (about 1000 sq m).