Arthur Lockhart

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Alyf
2nd Former

Arthur Lockhart

Post by Alyf »

I am just making enquiries and wonder if anyone could help. A W Lockhart attended/worked at Christ's Hospital and lived in Little Britain in about 1895. At that time he was married and had three children, I have his son's diary (Bertram Blair Lockhart) who also attended Christ's Hospital. His wife Annie died in about 1902 or 1903 and at that time they had a child called William Patrick who would have been very small. Do you have any records concerning the family, I am very interested to find out what happened to William Patrick Lockhart.

Sadly from what I can gather Bertram Blair Lockhart died in Brazil in 1903. Thank you for any information you can supply.
ColA25
2nd Former

Re: Arthur Lockhart

Post by ColA25 »

On Ancestry.com there are two family trees showing William Patrick as born in 1900 in Botolphs (Parish of St Botolphs in the east end of London, not too far from Christ's Hospital at that time) and with parents Arthur William Lockhart (1851-1921) and Annie Webber (b.1865). He was baptised on 8 April 1900 at St Botolphs, Aldersgate and his father's profession was listed as Steward of Christ's Hospital. But remember that Christ's Hospital moved to Horsham, Sussex in about 1902.

One of the trees has a timeline which says 1903 death of half-brother Bertram Blair. and deaths of a further two sisters and two half-brothers up to 1988. Three of those died in Southend on Sea, Essex.

Turning to FreeBMD.org.uk a search shows his date of birth as 24 Feb 1900 and death in Oct-Dec 1977 in Southend.

I couldn't find a marriage record though there are a few for William P Lockhart including one in Rochford, Essex in 1928 to someone named Hicks - this looks promising in terms of age on marriage and location not far from Southend. Going back to Ancestry (as we are now looking for William P and not William Patrick), the marriage was in Apr-Jun 1928 and the bride was May M Hicks.

There is also another marriage record for William P Lockhart to Anne L Garbett in April 1968 in Colchester, Essex. Possibly a late second marriage but also possibly someone completely different.

Generally, it seems like you need to be searching for information in the Southend area.
Phil Naylor
BaB17 / ColA25
1971-77
Alyf
2nd Former

Post by Alyf »

Absolutely amazing stuff, you've filled most of my gaps just like that!! In the 1900's Arthur and Annie with baby William had relocated from London with the school. Annie being buried in St Nicholas (presume near Horsham) and then Arthur also being buried there although no date for his death, but you have now provided that missing piece as well so a big thanks again!

So pleased that William P lived a longer life than Bertram! Thank you again so much, looks like all Arthur's boys went to the school, such an interesting family.
ColA25
2nd Former

Post by ColA25 »

Found a bit more on Ancestry.com...

In 1939 there's a document called England & Wales Register - it looks a lot like a census.

This lists:
Lockhart Wm P, correct DoB - Stockbroker's Clerk
Lockhart Margaretta M, born 4 Feb 1903 - Unpaid domestic duties
Lockhart Thelma M, born 11 July 1931 - at school
All living at 87 Westbourne Gr (Grove), Southend on Sea

Following that trail, Thelma Margaret Lockhart died on 1 Dec 2001 in Chelmsford, last residence was at Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex. Interesting that she still had her maiden name and there are no marriage records.

On probatesearch.service.gov.uk you can find that she had a will and probate was granted on 18 Mar 2002, no. 908152 at Winchester registry. You can get a copy online for £1.50. Strangely this gives the date of death as 31 December, but the name is very distinctive so not likely to be a different person.
Phil Naylor
BaB17 / ColA25
1971-77
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

And to think you found all that stuff out in spite of being in Azerbaijan.

The wonders of the internet, eh?

So, have you traced your own ancestors back to the days when they actually made nails for a living?
Alyf
2nd Former

Post by Alyf »

Amazing ❤️ This is amazing thank you. So interesting as I left it with three children of Arthur - Bertram Blair Lockhart, Arthur Norman Lockhart, Alice Muriel Lockhart. He then marries Annie and has William Patrick Lockhart. Annie clearly dies and he must then have more children so I think I have all the children now.

His first wife is Alice Muriel Lockhart she is born in 1848, I have a similar death ending up in America but this could be Alice Muriel Lockhart who is born in 1881.

Tragic about Bertram, wonder how Arthur Norman Lockhart 1878 faired in life. He also went to Christ’s as I have them both listed on the consensus in 1891 as scholars there.

Thank you so much for your time in this I don’t think I could of done it without you !!
ColA25
2nd Former

Post by ColA25 »

Spoonbill wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:36 am And to think you found all that stuff out in spite of being in Azerbaijan.

The wonders of the internet, eh?

So, have you traced your own ancestors back to the days when they actually made nails for a living?
Strangely enough, my background isn't so very far from the Lockhart family. In the 1840s one of my forebears ended up in Shoreditch Workhouse when her husband died of TB, I think it was. And the family profession was brushmaking at that time and subsequently. But I didn't make it to CH until 1971.

Yes, the internet has made family history research infinitely easier, compounded with the trend to digitise and transcribe historic records.
Phil Naylor
BaB17 / ColA25
1971-77
Alyf
2nd Former

Post by Alyf »

So fab being able to piece this all together. Clearly Margaretta M Lockhart is mother to Thelma because Thelma is born in 1931 and by that stage Arthur W Lockhart has died in 1921. It is clear that he headed towards Southend as they must have had a connection to Southend as Bertram in his 1895 diary is talking about leaving for Southend although later he must go international as his death is recorded there in 1903 and he has an unmarked grave in Rio de Janerio.

So all in all it's been amazing putting it all together and whilst this may not be the place. Arthur W Lockhart had been a scholar at the school and also then become a warden and later in life he authored a few pieces on the history of Christ's Hospital. I may contact them to see if there is anything in the archives as it would be nice to be able to put a face to the name etc.

May even have records for Bertram and Arthur who both went there. Thank you again for all your help and assistance.
ColA25
2nd Former

Post by ColA25 »

Alyf wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 pm I may contact them to see if there is anything in the archives as it would be nice to be able to put a face to the name etc.
Contact for that would be CHMuseum@christs-hospital.org.uk and they hold absolutely all the historic records. Good luck.
Phil Naylor
BaB17 / ColA25
1971-77