Charles Hazlewood

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

loringa
Deputy Grecian

Re: Charles Hazlewood

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:45 pm How can anyone like Abba? What's your name? Priscilla Queen of the Desert?
ABBA was hugely popular in Coleridge A, at least with Mark Bryant (sorry Mark) but I am sure he was not alone, right up until Blondie came on the scene with Denis in, I guess, 1978 which was our GE year. After that, ABBA was consigned to wherever bands that have lost their lustre end up and Blondie was definitely our number one - great music and Debbie Harry; what wasn't there for teenage boys to like? Personally, I always liked ABBA and admit to enjoying both Mamma Mia and Mamma Mia (Here we go again) which was probably the last film I went to see with both my wife and my daughter. We very rarely agree on what we want to watch but these movies provided a surprising common ground.

I have never seen Priscilla Queen of the Desert; men dressed in women's clothes has never been something that has ever floated my boat. Whilst I'm not sure one could always tell the difference in places like Bangkok, I don't think the same applies to the Australian Outback. :D
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:18 pm Whilst I'm not sure one could always tell the difference in places like Bangkok, I don't think the same applies to the Australian Outback. :D
Big thing in Brazil - where it can be difficult to see any difference between male femaile and inbetween
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

In reply to Golfer, I'm not stuck in the 80s, I'm stuck in the 60s and 70s. As regards Blondie, their first album - the punk one with 'Rip Her To Shreds' on - was the best thing they did.
As far as the 80s goes, I'd just quit music journalism so maybe it passed me by in a blur of Thatcherism, yuppies in padded-shouldered suits, and dickhead New Romantics. But at the end of the decade The Levellers were a welcome blast of radicalism.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

AMP wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:07 pm There were a number of very talented music scholars at that time.
Chris Tambling, Charles, Adrian Bawtree.
But the most talented was Piers Maxim, whom you have probably never heard of.
His interest was and remains church music, so was never going to be mainstream.
On my final day, Jeffers told the house "I guarantee in years to come you will read about Piers in the newspapers"
Charles has done remarkably well.
A very brave man.
Piers is doing an Organ Concrt on Friday 1pm and you can see it at You Tube RSCMCentre.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

Just to re-open this thread a little...

I've greatly enjoyed watching "Reinventing the Orchestra with Charles Hazlewood", a six-part TV series, currently showing on Sky Arts (June/July 2022).
From Barry White to Scott Walker, via Mozart, Kraftwerk, Bach and Steve Reich, it has been a fascinating series, with Hazlewood demonstrating the use of orchestral sounds and arrangements within 1970s disco, video game music and acid house. To do this, Hazlewood often uses the Paraorchestra, the integrated orchestra of professional disabled and non-disabled musicians that he founded in 2011.

More here:
https://www.charleshazlewood.com/reinve ... -hazlewood

Hazlewood is an excellent presenter, and if nothing else, the series could make you re-evaluate the music of Barry White...
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75