The Housey Hotspots, etc

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

William
3rd Former

The Housey Hotspots, etc

Post by William »

Before it’s too late, are there any recollections of the Housey Hotspots, a boys’ jazz band at Horsham in the 1950s? I can only remember them vaguely and they have hardly been mentioned in this Forum. John Austen (Th A) led them. They gave a few concerts and probably played at one grecians’ dance (fixture vs St Catherine’s School, Bramley) held in the Dominions’ Library. John Austen was either a saxophonist or (more likely) a trumpeter, for John Saunders says he played the trumpet and he (Saunders) also was a trumpet exponent. Has there been such a band at CH since the 50s?

I recollect an American professional pop musician was at CH, as a musician in residence and teaching for a while some years ago (Gene Simmons?) and as a result a short film about his stay there was produced. Did a lasting pop music band also result from this?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: The Housey Hotspots, etc

Post by J.R. »

I don't recall the jazz band of the 50's.

The Gene Simmons story is certainly true. It was televised and a OB who used to be a regular contributor on here was prominent in the production. He is now a member of The Cloth.

I don't think any pop band resulted.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
theosteel
2nd Former

Post by theosteel »

When I read of the dance being referred to as a "fixture" I recall that they were presented in the school calendar as such rather like cricket matches. The memory brought a wry smile to my face and sweet memories!! Horsham High school and swapping the i for the o etc.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

There is a letter in the Lent 1994 Blue from Brian Stanley (Mid A 46 - 52), which mentions the Housey Hotspots. There is obviously a photo of them in a previous Blue, since he names some of them, Perry, (Col A) on saxophone, Austin (Th B), Bill Butler on drums and Nick Hull on French Horn.
Unfortunately I don’t have the previous Blue with the photograph, but apart from the School, maybe someone else does.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

jtaylor wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:32 pm Rock School Series 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCae9R0HKHc
Video diaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Q-96pst8M
It should be noted that Josh (aka the Emperor) who was the lead singer of the band is now Father Joshua Bell and is a curate in Kings Lynn!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm
jtaylor wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:32 pm Rock School Series 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCae9R0HKHc
Video diaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Q-96pst8M
It should be noted that Josh (aka the Emperor) who was the lead singer of the band is now Father Joshua Bell and is a curate in Kings Lynn!
Josh is member of CH OB's Official Forum.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I beleive my Great Grandfather had some links with a band at CH around that time, he was a lab tech working with Kirby and also a Trumpeter (i have his silver cornet) having played in the GE Works band in Rugby pre moving to CH. His name was Laurie Sutherland. I know somewhere there was a photo of him with a bunch of pupils carrying instruments in front of the big lead water tank by the science school
Martin Chuzzletits
2nd Former

Post by Martin Chuzzletits »

William wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:57 pm Before it’s too late, are there any recollections of the Housey Hotspots, a boys’ jazz band at Horsham in the 1950s? ..... Has there been such a band at CH since the 50s?
In the mid-to-late 1970s - and, for all I know, into the 1980s too - there was the so-called Dance Band, which I recall as a sort of swing/trad jazz outfit, possibly with a piano thrown in, though I may be wrong about that. Did they once play at Ronnie Scott's? Possibly they did. Were they any good? Personally I felt that the playing was rather wooden and generally lacking in fluidity, which perhaps reflected the formality of the players' training in the school band. And of course the players didn't have the freedom to improvise; they just knocked out swing/jazz standards by numbers. Whether they got bottled off at Ronnie Scott's, I have no idea.
Last edited by Martin Chuzzletits on Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Michael “Joe” Froggatt, (Pe B), a direct contemporary of mine as we went to junior school and CH together, formed the Jabberwocks, who played traditional Jazz. Froggatt was on the Euphonium, Noel Abel on trombone (he later went on to become a distinguished bass trombonist with top symphony orchestras), I believe Willie Watson was on clarinet, but my memory runs out there. Those mentioned were all in Peele B and the band performed in 1965/66 at least.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am Michael “Joe” Froggatt, (Pe B), a direct contemporary of mine as we went to junior school and CH together, formed the Jabberwocks, who played traditional Jazz. Froggatt was on the Euphonium, Noel Abel on trombone (he later went on to become a distinguished bass trombonist with top symphony orchestras), I believe Willie Watson was on clarinet, but my memory runs out there. Those mentioned were all in Peele B and the band performed in 1965/66 at least.
1965/66 was my first year and I remember watching them in Big School on one occasion and thinking how good they were. I also recall, knowing that the members would be leaving CH imminently, thinking what a shame that such a talented band would break up so soon.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

At around 1957/58 there was a traditional (ie New Orleans style) jazz band that I remember playing to a packed house in Big School. I seem to remember they played Tiger Rag (was that Louis Armstrong?). Of the personnel all I remember was Dai Twitchen (Maine A?) on piano. It went down a storm. Made a change from the usual repertoire on offer at the school, ie hymns and classical music.
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

I think Willie Watson played the trumpet.
Goatherd
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Goatherd wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:29 pm I think Willie Watson played the trumpet.
Probably correct. Can’t remember clarinet nor percussion.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)