Brexit

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

scrub
Deputy Grecian

Re: Brexit

Post by scrub »

Pe.A wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:22 pmDoes anyone know what the benefits are of a trade deal with the mighty Pacific Islands?
As best I can figure, the benefits are minimal in economic terms, but big in political terms, which is the entire point of it.

In terms of showing that Global Britain (TM) is free to buccaneer its way across the globe, signing trade deals with all and sundry, and absolutely not missing the EU at all, it's priceless. As long as no one looks too closely at the details, it'll be the headline grabbing national success that the government needs.

It's a bit like a mid-life crisis but in this instance, the Pacific is a Harley/Ferrari/younger lover with daddy issues/hair plugs. It's not being done to address any underlying issues, it's being done to prove a point. Even if it makes no logical sense, it makes perfect emotional sense.
It's Brexit in a nutshell for me, the triumph of feels over facts.

As I said previously, I have no idea which UK export industry is going to greatly benefit from it, and I really don't see which industry that's currently being hamstrung by being outside the single market is going to make up the losses they are currently facing.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

scrub wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:02 pm
Pe.A wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:22 pmDoes anyone know what the benefits are of a trade deal with the mighty Pacific Islands?
As best I can figure, the benefits are minimal in economic terms, but big in political terms, which is the entire point of it.

In terms of showing that Global Britain (TM) is free to buccaneer its way across the globe, signing trade deals with all and sundry, and absolutely not missing the EU at all, it's priceless. As long as no one looks too closely at the details, it'll be the headline grabbing national success that the government needs.

It's a bit like a mid-life crisis but in this instance, the Pacific is a Harley/Ferrari/younger lover with daddy issues/hair plugs. It's not being done to address any underlying issues, it's being done to prove a point. Even if it makes no logical sense, it makes perfect emotional sense.
It's Brexit in a nutshell for me, the triumph of feels over facts.

As I said previously, I have no idea which UK export industry is going to greatly benefit from it, and I really don't see which industry that's currently being hamstrung by being outside the single market is going to make up the losses they are currently facing.
Yeah, i guessed as much. I was just curious about any economic benefit i was missing.

And you're right - it's the manufacturing/export angle which makes Brexit worrying - it's all very well forming international trade deals being part of the EU, and taking advantage of other member countries' manufacturing strengths - but without them, it's hard to see how they could get a comparable trade deal with other countries/trading blocs. The UK isn't a massive exporter, unless something magically changes in the future...

Does any know exactly how many more countries/trading blocs the UK has left to form trade deals with...?
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Pe.A wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:54 pmI was just curious about any economic benefit i was missing.
If there is an obvious massive benefit to it, I've missed it too.
Does any know exactly how many more countries/trading blocs the UK has left to form trade deals with...?
There's about 190 countries in the world and they've already signed roll over/continuity deals that cover about 90 (I think), so they've only got another 100 or so to go. If the rest of the world could sort itself out into couple of blocs with 20-30 members each, that'd make it much easier.

I think someone in the Department for Trade has a massive world map on their wall that they're treating like a Panini album.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

TO THE MODERATORS
Could you please look at this thread? It is listed under 'General Chat - CH Stuff' but now has nothing whatsoever to do with CH. Allied to that there is a thread on the non-CH site which seems to cover this subject. So, can you please transfer all this to the latter?
David :shock:
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

It was usually at this time of the year in February that the French Deps went on a two week exchange to Pleneuf.

It involved a full timetable of lessons and a weekend hosted with a family and various trips within Brittany.

My host family owned a haulage company and I achieved a lifetime's ambition of riding in the cab of an articulated lorry.

Our french oppos enjoyed the hospitality of CH in return.

Peter Farrar started this and it was excellent.

I remember drinking real ale with Tim Bryant in the bar of a Brittany ferry during the overnight crossing to St Malo and in a severe gale force eight.

Do these exchanges still take place and will they be affected by the new Brexit restrictions on freedom of movement?
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Foureyes wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:58 am TO THE MODERATORS
Could you please look at this thread? It is listed under 'General Chat - CH Stuff' but now has nothing whatsoever to do with CH. Allied to that there is a thread on the non-CH site which seems to cover this subject. So, can you please transfer all this to the latter?
David :shock:
Yes - let's relocate this to somewhere more appropriate. It needs to remain a live thread though; nothing, even Covid-19, has the potential to wreck our children's future like Brexit so we need to understand all its consequences, devastating as they appear to be.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

AMP wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:56 pm It was usually at this time of the year in February that the French Deps went on a two week exchange to Pleneuf.

It involved a full timetable of lessons and a weekend hosted with a family and various trips within Brittany.
My host family owned a haulage company and I achieved a lifetime's ambition of riding in the cab of an articulated lorry.
I remember drinking real ale with Tim Bryant in the bar of a Brittany ferry during the overnight crossing to St Malo and in a severe gale force eight.
Do these exchanges still take place and will they be affected by the new Brexit restrictions on freedom of movement?
I just hope that CH language tuition is better then it was and how it is in other schools. My French teacher at CH was branded incompetent by my "patron" who was brought up in France - thAt after I took and passed the old O level.

My granddaughter and a friend came to stay days after they took GCSE French (graded B). After 5 days mixing with French kids in the evenings she reckoned she learned more French in those evenings that in all the years up to GCSE.

Having "suffered" accelerated tuition in three languages I consider the CH system of my day as abysmal. At least CH now has/had a French national as a teacher which should be a benefit.

Passenger in a French haulage lorry; I hope he took you to a "Routier". Good meals, good company and decent prices

Drinking in a gale on a ferry. My tipple was an aqkavit and beer chaser as we slid from one side of the ship to the other in the Skaggerak. Three of us survived that gale to visit the bar.
Last edited by sejintenej on Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

scrub wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 pm
Pe.A wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:54 pmI was just curious about any economic benefit i was missing.
If there is an obvious massive benefit to it, I've missed it too.
I think someone in the Department for Trade has a massive world map on their wall that they're treating like a Panini album.
Or a world map with areas shaded red like in imperial times...
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm
AMP wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:56 pm It was usually at this time of the year in February that the French Deps went on a two week exchange to Pleneuf.

I just hope that CH language tuition is better then it was and how it is in other schools. My French teacher at CH was branded incompetent by my "patron" who was brought up in France - thAt after I took and passed the old O level.

My granddaughter and a friend came to stay days after they took GCSE French (graded B). After 5 days mixing with French kids in the evenings she reckoned she learned more French in those evenings that in all the years up to GCSE.

Having "suffered" accelerated tuition in three languages I consider the CH system of my day as abysmal. At least CH now has/had a French national as a teacher which should be a benefit.

Passenger in a French haulage lorry; I hope he took you to a "Routier". Good meals, good company and decent prices

Drinking in a gale on a ferry. My tipple was an aqkavit and beer chaser as we slid from one side of the ship to the other in the Skaggerak. Three of us survived that gale to visit the bar.
I recall hugging the side of the ferry with my other fellow student drinkers not long afterwards.

Mixing with the natives is invaluable and I do hope foreign exchanges continue, even if the Erasmus programme which I personally benefitted from is now a victim of Brexit.

My hosts were kind enough to take me to Mont St Michel (not in the back of the truck, but the family Renault 25) and buy me crepes.
Quite a change from dining hall.

We missed the ferry back.
The master i/c failed to read the timetable properly. At that time of the year the boats leave an hour earlier.

I'm a great fan of Logis de France, Chambre d'Hote and Buffalo Grill.