Nell Todd painting for sale

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Nell Todd painting for sale

Post by sejintenej »

Martin wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:39 pm The nearest to Kipper Kent in using expletives was CF Kirby, I suppose. But all his oaths were inoffensive (“The worst dog in Sussex,” “Mother’s dumpling,’ etc.)
and Kirby was a character one appreciated even if one was the subject /victim because there was no hatred, actual or intended, involved
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

alterblau wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:02 am They presided over “Bad writing classes,” but that probably wasn’t their official name.

I was forced to attend such classes held by each of the two. All they did was to provide a book with pages of joined italic writing, a pencil and sheets of tracing paper so that the page could be copied. This resulted from the fact that around that time the UK government decided that all primary schools should teach joined italic in place of the previously taught cursive with loops in the letters f, g, j, k l, y and z.
After a few terms in these classes I stopped, for I suspect my case was considered to be hopeless and my handwriting remains terrible.
Not too sure about those terms. In primary school we were force to learn copperplate using the wide nibs and real ink. Yes, it was joined up.

As for my present writing it varies between large, close to copperplate and worse than the legendary doctor's handwriting. (helps if I wear my glasses)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
JohnAL
3rd Former

Post by JohnAL »

During my days by far the best boy artist was Benedict Rubbra of Col A. Naturally Nell Todd thought very highly of him and rightly so. I recollect that he painted a superb portrait of ACW ‘Teddy’ Edwards, then a retired teacher and School Librarian. But most unusually Nell Todd insisted that it remained an almost-completed portrait. She said that he had captured exactly the essence of ‘Teddy’ and that if he continued some of that might be lost.

Rubbra went on to become a celebrated portrait painter for many years, although none of his works are in the National Portrait Gallery (yet). An internet search will quickly confirm his artistic excellence. However in the last few years he has concentrated on other non representational art, with one such work included in the recently published, “Christ’s Hospital – Tradition with Vision”.