Who Else Has Never Been Back to CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Who Else Has Never Been Back to CH?

Post by anniexf »

postwarblue wrote:In Neill's day in the Army women were listed under sports gear.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

anniexf wrote:
postwarblue wrote:In Neill's day in the Army women were listed under sports gear.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My brother-in-law worked in Boots pharmacy in Sixth form (early 70's) and as the only male in the store all the boys would wait until he was free and then sidle up to him to ask for condoms. The first time this happened he asked the (female) pharmacist where they were and she told him (very loudly) "in the drawer marked sports".
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I seem to have upset Angela --- and others !

The purpose of my Post was to demonstrate that without the "Benefit" of Careers Advice, a person could still, and possibly, in spite of, the lack of such advice, be successful in life.

Now if I have upset anybody by being grateful for the results of this --- and being un-ashamed to say so --- Tough !

As far as I am aware, the Moderators have, up to now, imposed no rule which demands that Members of this Forum are required to read all the Posts, which appear.
It would appear that we can be selective.
The solution may well be, to avoid reading Posts which annoy you, or disagree, fundamentally, with your opinions.
This being the case, you may well feel better, although isolated, and restrict your input to intercourse with those of a like mind.
For myself, I shall continue to enjoy the contributions of Members, such as Spoonbill, with whom I disagree on almost every issue, and with whom I shall continue to debate, in insulting terms.
Should Spoonbill, or others, be of such a sensitive nature that they are distraught about this, I am sure that they may find consolation.

I remain un-repentant and NOTORIOUS------ :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

It's just not Blue to boast about how wonderful you think you are.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:The solution may well be, to avoid reading Posts which annoy you, or disagree, fundamentally, with your opinions.
Not a very practical proposal. How do you know that something's going to annoy you until you've read it? :roll:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Should Spoonbill, or others, be of such a sensitive nature that they are distraught abot this, I am sure that they may find consolation.

I wouldn't describe anyone who has replied to you or commented upon your post as "sensitive" or "distraught". It's just that if you write things that could be construed as boastful, condescending or a tad sexist (at least to those whose attitudes have progressed beyond the 19th. Century) you're going to have to expect some reaction.

Anyway, back to the debate, "in insulting terms".......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Richard Ruck wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Should Spoonbill, or others, be of such a sensitive nature that they are distraught abot this, I am sure that they may find consolation.

I wouldn't describe anyone who has replied to you or commented upon your post as "sensitive" or "distraught". It's just that if you write things that could be construed as boastful, condescending or a tad sexist (at least to those whose attitudes have progressed beyond the 19th. Century) you're going to have to expect some reaction.
I couldn't make the clapping hands smiley to work (again!) but - nice one, Richard! :D
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

anniexf wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:

I couldn't make the clapping hands smiley to work
(again!) but - nice one, Richard! :D

There appears to be a page error on the additional 'smileys'

I'll report to JT.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

:deadhorse:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have heard from JT, and YES, there is a current issue with the additional Smileys, which our Illustrious Leader is looking into.

:roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

AH WELL ! ---
I have tried to explain that I was not boasting ---but putting across the alternative "Career" without the "Benefit" of Guidance.

I seem to have failed -- djknow -- I don't care !
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

A somewhat different approach which, unfortunately, was not available when I was young. Define the final outcome and then decide what career will get you there.g

http://chforum.info/php/viewtopic.php?f ... 35#p108235
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

sejintenej wrote:A somewhat different approach which, unfortunately, was not available when I was young. Define the final outcome and then decide what career will get you there.g

http://chforum.info/php/viewtopic.php?f ... 35#p108235
True - but the school's survival, unless it becomes just another public school, is highly correlated with the affluence of OBs and their ability to provide funding.

It is surely in CH's interest to do everything they can to ensure the success of OBs. That includes education about career possibilities whether or not they go on to university.

I don't know what guidance CH provides today. The recent posts were specifically about Malone's disinterested attitude to his job and invariably negative advice. Hopefully things are more professional now.