CH uniforms

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Housey coats

Post by englishangel »

Just picked up this thread again. Someone said about the difficulty of walking due to the length and weight of the coats. We alwys thought there was a distinctive 'Housey Walk' as you gave a little kick to get the weight of the coat out of the way.

I have noticed OBs doing it, I think they were unaware though.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Is that why I walk funny? Everyone says I have a very odd way of gliding with rather small steps!

I watched my son processing out of chapel in half Housey last Sunday evening and he looked even odder - like some sort of stick insect with enormously long thin legs encased in breeches!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

Spoonbill wrote: Incidentally, one of my chums was so fat he had to have the crotch and inside legs of his breeches reinforced with leather because otherwise his gargantuan thighs rubbed together so much they wore the fabric through.
one of my contemporaries was also rather ample. his shirt had to be custom made (presumably in zimbabwe like the rest of them), his breeches also custom made, and his housey coat had to have extensions sown into it. broadies are usually cut in half (hence one end being rounded and the other just sliced), i think his was just one complete (so two) length
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Re: Housey coats

Post by FrogBoxed »

englishangel wrote:We always thought there was a distinctive 'Housey Walk' as you gave a little kick to get the weight of the coat out of the way.
I don't know about a 'Housey Walk' I seem to recall leaving my coat to take care of itself ("If I don't bother the coat, the coat won't bother me"), but I know that the flick was what you did when going upstairs - it takes a while to perfect, but once you'd got it, it meant you could go up the shallow main stairs in the boarding houses three or even four at a time!

I also remember perfecting the skill of opening the fire doors (those without handles) with just a foot - this was really useful when your hands were full carrying lots of books and files to lessons, though it did mean the soles of our shoes tended to split, which meant very wet feet when it rained. :?
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Smells Like CH Spirit

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

jtaylor wrote:The smells of CH always bring back memories for me.
Visited the Counting House earlier in the year, and that distinctive smell brought memories back.

The smell of fresh polish on the long wooden dormitory floors always said start-of-term to me.

Funny how smell brings back memories of feelings so much more effectively that images or stories.....if someone could bottle those smells!

J
David Close (MB 1947-55) wrote a long poem on this subject entitled (alluding to Betjeman) "Summoned by Smells". Part of it appeared in The Blue five years ago. As far as I know it was never published in full anywhere. Perhaps it could be posted on this forum, if David or any of his friends is reading this?
Last edited by Doctor Smellcroft on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

What I found really goosebump-inducing was taking a job in a hospital some years ago and discovering that there was a basement-level corridor running the length of the place which smelt exactly like the Tube. Bone dry it may have appeared; 1970s vintage it definitely was. But it whiffed just like the Tube - which I guess means a mix of escaping gas, penetrating damp and tons of larvly asbestos. Spooky.

Has any of you morons ever encountered CH stenches elsewhere?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Just had a flashback.

There was a story doing the rounds about 1968/69 about a Housey boy on a bus in London who was (obvoiusly) the focus of all eyes. When he got to the door to get off he turned round and making the sign of the cross said "Bless you my children".

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I can't confirm that (I wasn't even born!) but it was something we did when stared at excessively on St. Matthew's Day.
The choir used to go up earlier in the morning, and half half-hour or so freedom in London, when we'd disappear off to the nearest news-agent.
A prime opportunity to look like idiots, but the mock-blessing did disconcert a few people!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jtaylor wrote:I can't confirm that (I wasn't even born!) but it was something we did when stared at excessively on St. Matthew's Day.
The choir used to go up earlier in the morning, and half half-hour or so freedom in London, when we'd disappear off to the nearest news-agent.
A prime opportunity to look like idiots, but the mock-blessing did disconcert a few people!
OUCH!!
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Spoonbill wrote:What I vividly remember is how when you opened your trunk to pack it at the end of the holidays, the CH stench would leap up out of the box and almost knock you over backwards. Probably that's still the case these days. (I also still get really depressed walking past stationers' and outfitters' shops in mid-August and seeing those dastardly 'Back to School' signs in the windows. Makes you feel like jumping under a bus.)

As for general mingingness at CH: how in blue blazes we wore dirty houseycoats year-round without getting chronic boils etc. around our necks, I can't imagine. All those much-farted-in pairs of breeches, worn for month after month without washing.... :oops: .....underwear intended to last 3 or 4 days....I remember kneeling in orange squash in my flannels at the start of summer term one year and having to wear 'em like that for the whole term......And yes, trying to get dried filth off my coat by sawing at it with my comb.....seriously minging.....

But I have to say I'm nevertheless appalled by this business of pupils no longer having to wear CH uniform at all times (except on sports pitches). For a start it was a very practical uniform; you could wade through shoulder-high stinging nettles in it without getting stung....

If certain items of clothing seem to be worn for days, if not weeks without proper cleaning, how can the school offer second hand uniforms to anyone? Surely no one would consider buying one, would they?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Does anyone else remember the dreaded 'Matron's Coat Inspection' ?

The smell of 'Scrim' filling the dorms, as you attempted to get dubious stains out of the coats ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

shoz wrote: If certain items of clothing seem to be worn for days, if not weeks without proper cleaning, how can the school offer second hand uniforms to anyone? Surely no one would consider buying one, would they?
Shoz, the uniform isn't 'for sale'.

The Housey coat, shirt, bands, breeches, socks, shoes etc. were, and I think still are, provided by the school at no extra cost. This used to include our underpants (don't know if that is still the case, and I certainly don't lie awake at night thinking about it).

There used to be a thrift shop, through which other bits and pieces could be offered second-hand (parents/guardians were responsible for purchasing basic sports kit).

Little Johnny grows out of Barnes A rugby shirt, it's still in good nick, so Little J's parents offer it to thrift shop to be re-sold at bargain price to other skint parents.......I'm sure you get the idea.

To my knowledge, the official C.H. uniform has never been available commercially (at least, not officially).

So, second-hand pairs of rancid breeches are not sold on.

In fact, we used to wear ours until they were destroyed, and used to carry out running repairs ourselves (needle and thread courtesy of matron....).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote: The smell of 'Scrim' filling the dorms, as you attempted to get dubious stains out of the coats ?
'Sprim', wasn't it?

Smelled like recycled wild boar's urine.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote: The smell of 'Scrim' filling the dorms, as you attempted to get dubious stains out of the coats ?
'Sprim', wasn't it?

Smelled like recycled wild boar's urine.....
Thats the one, Richard. Typo error - apologies.

Strangely enough, on a hospital visit recently, I passed a store-cupboard and the sudden whiff I received took me rushing back 40 years. Strange how a smell can invoke instant re-call.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

On the question of uniforms, has anyone heard of anyone seriously penetrating vocal cords, adam's apples or similar with a "safety" pin when putting on bands?

I didn't but came close enough times.

(For Shoz; bands are like the tabs that priests wear - there is a starched linen band which goes round the neck to which the tabs are sewn; it was held together with a safety pin which went through shirt collar, bands and the other shirt collar tight round the neck. There was so much starch that geting a pin through was a feat of strength)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!