Films in Big School

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I seem to remember a film called "genevive" about a car. Main reason it stuck in my memory was the actress putting her stockings on. Nearest thing to sex we were allowed. Had a big impact on the rest of my life.
Sergiu Panaite
3rd Former

Post by Sergiu Panaite »

More recently, films were usually brought in by pupils etc and watched in the various dayrooms (VHS, DVD's, etc). There were also occasional school film nights organised in the theatre (usually on the rather large projector screen, with either the now very old theatre projector or one borrowed from, say, the science department), but those were quite rare. When we did do them we tried to get them to work in surround sound - it worked, it was just that the rear speakers were rather crap :(
Serg
LaB '97-'98, MaA '98-'99, MaB '99-'01, GrE '01-'02 - confused?
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

I think I saw a film called Genevive - but it was definately nothing to do with a car. I thought it was about a couple of lesbians and a bloke playing the piano (complicated plot). RR mentioned Emmanuelle - I presume you are referring to the Dominion at Tottenham Court Road?? And wasnt it on before that???

Also - back in the old days the cinema in Horsham had a useful side door entrance where for some reason we were never asked to pay for a ticket. Very obliging they were. That's where I saw my first 18 rated film - The Wild Bunch - I think that today it wouldn't even rate a PG!!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:I think I saw a film called Genevive - but it was definately nothing to do with a car. I thought it was about a couple of lesbians and a bloke playing the piano (complicated plot). RR mentioned Emmanuelle - I presume you are referring to the Dominion at Tottenham Court Road?? And wasnt it on before that???

Also - back in the old days the cinema in Horsham had a useful side door entrance where for some reason we were never asked to pay for a ticket. Very obliging they were. That's where I saw my first 18 rated film - The Wild Bunch - I think that today it wouldn't even rate a PG!!
Your memory for detail is better than mine!

The Dominion sounds likely, although I don't recall the 'short' before Emanuelle. I'm sure it wasn't an instructional film about the windmills of East Anglia, though........

I think, unfortunately, that this is the 'Genevieve' in question -

Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Another thread I've resurrected because Spoonbill evokes the atmosphere brilliantly!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

These days they're relatively common. IIRC, TSG and her group of Saturday Night People organise them, with the projection and sound done by techies - an easy job for them! Quality's quite good, and the film selection is done by a vote through houses. Having been a techie for a while (i.e. from October 2005-GCSE time roughly speaking) - though nobody taught me much! - I know that the techies, once the film is running nicely, go and watch the film from behind the screen!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

We had films in the theatre. Sunday nights and an excuse to get out of house and prep. Brilliant. The one I remember most vividly was Top Gun, and this would have been when I was young enough to think that Tom Cruise was attractive. Add Val Kilmer and Kelly McGillis, the place must have been throbbing with hormones.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

We had occasional films in the School Hall on Saturday afternoons. The only one I remember is "Whistle Down The Wind" with Hayley Mills. The were chosen by the senior girls from a catalogue.

We were also allowed to go to the nearby cinema sometimes. We saw one of the St. Trinians films there.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045808/

A classic British film.

The first one I ever saw was "A tale of Two Cities" with Dirk Bogarde, black and white and scratchy but when he was executed the whole school burst into tears.

I remember "whistle down the Wind ", I think that too produced a lot of adolescent sobbing.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Mid A 15 wrote:Another thread I've resurrected because Spoonbill evokes the atmosphere brilliantly!
I'm so pleased that, thanks to Spoony, I've had my date of death predicted!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

MKM wrote:We had occasional films in the School Hall on Saturday afternoons. The only one I remember is "Whistle Down The Wind" with Hayley Mills. The were chosen by the senior girls from a catalogue.

We were also allowed to go to the nearby cinema sometimes. We saw one of the St. Trinians films there.
SENIOR GIRLSbeing allowed to choose the films! Whatever next!
Yours in amazement

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:Another thread I've resurrected because Spoonbill evokes the atmosphere brilliantly!
:?: Am I being thick :?

Don't understand!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:
:?: Am I being thick :?

Don't understand!
viewtopic.php?t=975&start=0
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

The End Is Nigh

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh, sorry Andy - ages ago Spoonbill created a topic called "The End Is Nigh - This Means You". You answer a few diagnostic questions and get the very day of your death predicted. JR came off the worst, you'll be sorry to hear. :wink:

I'll have a few more years to struggle on.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Post by kayinbaja »

Before I die, and i do seem to have a while according to that website, I'll bring this thread back to films....
Sobbing helplessly over Tale of Two cities and Whistle Down the Wind in the hall are very clear memories.
We went "out" to see The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery, Khartoum (more sobbing) and, inexplicably, Lindsay Anderson's "If". I'm absolutely sure that none of the staff had a clue what that last one was going to be about! It was followed by some dark muttering in 5s about a school revolution, which, sadly, came to nought.