School for scandal or scandal school

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Drugs have been around for a long time.

In my first term there were some very abrupt departures by pupils from the senior end as a result of drugs. This was Michaelmas term 1971 and they were hang overs from the 60s. Apparently been to music festivals where they were freely available.

I remember being solemnly instructed [in Big School by Toad at full school assembly ?] not to talk to the reporters from the Sun who wanted to name and shame the naughty boys.

And then there was the front page of the News of the World [in 1976 ?] because the school owned land in Soho which was being used as a cinema for the viewing of adult films. They conveniently overlooked the fact that there was nothing to suggest that the school knew of the immoral user.

Things are so tame now !
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

richardb wrote:

"Drugs have been around for a long time.

In my first term there were some very abrupt departures by pupils from the senior end as a result of drugs. This was Michaelmas term 1971 and they were hang overs from the 60s. Apparently been to music festivals where they were freely available. "

Yes you're right. Eight boys left in total if memory serves me right, two of whom were in Mid A.

As richardb says the School was very anxious about adverse publicity and we were warned to beware of journalists.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Just remembered another incident.

An assistant matron left suddenly, allegedly for "interfering " with boys when I was a junior.

I wasn't one of them :!:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

There are a number of allegations, some of which were proven etc... but it's probably best not to go into too much detail on the board as I do not wish to offend anyone...

If anyone wants to know some things, then please PM me...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
kara wrote:One male member of staff was if not openly then obviously gay, the other was a surprise.
I suppose that being openly gay might still be a problem for a member of staff - not sure how things are these days.
Interesting point to ponder, Richard.

In these days of P.C. and equal rights, I think you'll find it is ILLEGAL to discriminate on the grounds of ones sexuality !

I think in the good old early sixties, being of that type was not only frowned upon, but was against the law. 'Ballad of Reading Gaol', and all that !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Yes, man-on-man rude behaviour was completely illegal in England and Wales until 1967, wasn't it?

Is it now OK for gay teachers to be completely open, or would the school (and, indeed, some parents), still have concerns about this, whether justified or not? And how would this be affected by current employment legislation?

Perhaps our resident barrister could enlighten us?

I have to say that, when we first encountered him, quite a few of us thought that the Director of Drama was a bit of a 'whoopsie', although, of course he was a happily married man who happened to have certain 'theatrical' mannerisms.

I suppose this was because of our somewhat sheltered backgrounds - coming from a small town in Somerset, I had never seen blokes walking around wearing big hats and flowing scarves calling people "darling".
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

drugs! never!
for god's sake, S. T. Coleridge was an opium addict.

Sam Pepys was an adultering b@stard, as they showed on telly.

during my time ("allegedly"):
a teacher was screwing a grecian girl, then another one the following year. the rest of the class submitted a formal complaint as he was completely ignoring their requests for help with projects, and only helping the girls in question. this was allegedly confirmed to me by a member of staff. (so why oh why does he still work there!)

a french teacher was sacked for interfering with a french boy on a school french exchange, allegedly. nice bloke otherwise.

a german teacher was sacked for supposedly interfering with a boy. accounts vary, but the boy who submitted the complaint allegedly said he did so for a laugh. the teacher in question still teaches, but not at CH. which would make him very much innocent, i suppose.

alleged jiggery-pokery between a pupil and his housemasters wife.

a chemistry teacher was suspended for allegedly interfering with a boy. returned, so presumanbly innocent.

loads of teacher-teacher stuff, not particularly scandalous IMHO
dogger
2nd Former

Post by dogger »

Is there any truth that a (40+yr old) matron married a (recent) Senior Grecian? There must have been things going on while he was at the school!
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Richard Ruck wrote:Yes, man-on-man rude behaviour was completely illegal in England and Wales until 1967, wasn't it?

Is it now OK for gay teachers to be completely open, or would the school (and, indeed, some parents), still have concerns about this, whether justified or not? And how would this be affected by current employment legislation?
I have to confess that the old employment law is a bit rusty but I don't think we've yet got to the stage where sexuality is protected, although almost everything else is [race, gender, disability, etc.]

On a serious note, I suspect that overtly sexualised behaviour by either gender of whatever sexual orientation would be liable to disciplinary action.

The thing is that most boys would regard any female staff indulging in sexual acitivity as a peep show [whether male female or female/female]. I don't think somehow that the girls would take the same view of male/male shows.

Funny how the old prejudices linger.

And now let's discuss my fee ......................
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

dogger wrote:Is there any truth that a (40+yr old) matron married a (recent) Senior Grecian? There must have been things going on while he was at the school!
Yes indeedy, he was the SG on my year...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Another question - when these teachers get the push on account of their wandering digits are they still the subject of a 'farewell' bit in the Blue, to make it look as if they have left under normal circumstances?

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

richardb wrote:And now let's discuss my fee ......................
A trash mag, two slices of 'Mother's Pride' and a couple of roll-ups?

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:Another question - when these teachers get the push on account of their wandering digits are they still the subject of a 'farewell' bit in the Blue, to make it look as if they have left under normal circumstances?
Perhaps the illustrious John H. might consider re-producing, (if you'll pardon the expression), this thread in the Blue ?

That might provoke some response.

Yet, on the other hand............
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Scandal

Post by englishangel »

Come on ladies, I am sure we know some stuff from Hertford.

There was the time when one of the prefects was going back to the flat late at night and heard splashes and shouts coming from the pool.

Thinking some folk from the town had got in (it was next to the back gate) she went to investigate.

There were apparently several menbers of staff skinny dipping.

The thought makes me feel sick even now, and I am probably older than they were then.

Not that I am averse to skinny dipping you understand.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Scandal

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Come on ladies, I am sure we know some stuff from Hertford.

There was the time when one of the prefects was going back to the flat late at night and heard splashes and shouts coming from the pool.

Thinking some folk from the town had got in (it was next to the back gate) she went to investigate.

There were apparently several menbers of staff skinny dipping.

The thought makes me feel sick even now, and I am probably older than they were then.

Not that I am averse to skinny dipping you understand.
Does the same apply if there has been an over indulgence of school food ?