Sneaking off to the Cowsheds/Cut/Bird Sanctuary/Garages etc.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

First - I thought the music school bush (the hole) was wonderfully designed with a most comforting branch and most convenient for all the band members doing their breathing exercises. Personally I never liked the cut. Regulars were an oak tree on big side - no reason and certainly no cover - but it was somewhere to aim for - the bird sanc - and of course the tube. That was a great invention and convenient when smoking in large numbers....I went back once I think about 10 years ago and I asked where boys went to smoke and I got taken to something called Chelsea - seemed a bit like a bush as well...but it must have grown since 1979 cos I cant remember it then. Even now - if I'm nostalgic I'll have a rollup - tastes so good. Oh - by the way Dick - did you say youve given up?????????????????all those years of gitanes gone to waste...
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Yup, gave up about 3 years ago (I'd just stopped when I saw you at the Newgate Club thingy).

I don't regret it, although leaning on the bar at The French House with a large Ricard in one hand and a Gitane (plain) in the other was one of my favourite activities.

You still puffing Marlboros? I suppose Old Holborn's a bit hard to come by in Shanghai...
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Alsa, (if you are a smoker) Chelsea (behind the back of Barnes) has now been mostly chopped down and turned into a carpark...

but the MSB is still there afaik...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote: ....and of course the tube. That was a great invention and convenient when smoking in large numbers....
Reminds me of one (of many) of your finest moments when, as House Captain of Col.B (and School Monitor) you led most of your house away from the Christmas party and down to the tube for a 'House Smoke'....

Bob Hailey must have noticed a bit of an odour when you all re-emerged.

One or two Col. B types are on this forum - perhaps they were there......

Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

yes - still smoking Marlboro - but how can I possible give up when they're 70p per packet. And Jack - as far as I remember the tube was lovely and dry - and if there was a gas leak - it must have been very very subtle. Oh - the house smoke - one of my many happy memories - Bomber Nicholson asked me afterwards " Rory old chap - what was that all about" - I think I said something about leading from the front and taking the house for a little exercise after a hearty Christmas dinner....it would be nice to know if there are any official records for the most boys (and now girls) having a simultaneous smoke at school.....
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

70p per packet!!

Are they real, or "locally produced"?

Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

of course they are real - or am I just imagining it.... mind you - with all that asbestos I must have inhaled - who knows???
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Did you ever read the edition of The Blue in which Bomber claimed that yours were the most entertaining conversations he used to overhear from his flat?

I suppose he must have been admirably broad-minded - I mean, there weren't many discussions about Dostoevsky or Mahler - the contents of Jayne Mansfield's bum (lobsters), perhaps or various drink-related incidents.

Not many would be repeatable on here, unfortunately....

sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

as a non-smoking member of Col B at that time I think I must have stayed to guard the mince pies or something like that, so I missed the Christmas party mass tube "smoke-in".......

I do remember you introducing me to gargling with vodka as a cure for a sore throat though Rory......
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Rory wrote: ....and of course the tube. That was a great invention and convenient when smoking in large numbers....
Reminds me of one (of many) of your finest moments when, as House Captain of Col.B (and School Monitor) you led most of your house away from the Christmas party and down to the tube for a 'House Smoke'....

Bob Hailey must have noticed a bit of an odour when you all re-emerged.

One or two Col. B types are on this forum - perhaps they were there......
Before my time, young Richard !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

when I was at Hertford....me and my mildly delinquent CH friends used to sneak off to "The ( Hertford) Castle Grounds" with 10 Number Six and a box of matches and lounge around smoking ,in idyllic surroundings. :D
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I know of at least one person who used to smoke waccy baccy with the gardener in the basement of the classroom block!!

I seem to remember the churchyard was a favourite spot too, all those graves to hide behind.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I know of at least one person who used to smoke waccy baccy with the gardener in the basement of the classroom block!!

I seem to remember the churchyard was a favourite spot too, all those graves to hide behind.
Smoking pot with the gardner ? Smacks of 'Lady Chatterly' a bit.

And as for the graveyard, I consider that a very grave situation.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

On my juniors in we used the Lav ends, close both doors going into it and the smell would be gone by morning.

In my Seniors we used to use the passage way between the Dorms and the lav ends, we made it quite nice with a kettle and chairs so you could have a nice brew and a smoke in break.
On my UF and GE we always went to Thorn A in break or after games for a nice smoke.

Places that we smoked were, down by the leisure centre, nip off the path walking down from Lamb, Music school, bush outside Thorn A, Bush outside Leigh Hunt, Infirmary bush, Squash Courts, Bush by Bokers entrance to the Kitchen, behind the theatre, Big side.

The problem was that in the winter or when it was wet everyone trampled down on the grass turning it to mud so really we left a path for the teachers to find us.

Ah good times
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Alexandra Thrift wrote: when I was at Hertford....me and my mildly delinquent CH friends used to sneak off to "The ( Hertford) Castle Grounds" with 10 Number Six and a box of matches and lounge around smoking ,in idyllic surroundings. :D
Number 6 - the most disgusting fags I ever smoked (rivalled only by Number 10). :vom: