Has anyone seen the Rock School ad on C4?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

ooops! :oops: (am geriatric and not very technical! - sorry!)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: rock school

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:(tho' being at Housey he cannot access it until half term in ten days time).

Is that right?

Can they access the Internet at all or is it just seditious material like this?
They can get onto the internet but only on approved sites.

This - perhaps rightly?? - is not one of them. However they were allowed for a short time last term. What went wrong Julian? Was it the Yevgenev/CH blog discussion? I thought that was a well thought through debate.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

It was initially banned as it's a discussion forum - apparantly there's a rule that bans all discussion sites. Initially though when I launched the site and informed the school, they were quite happy and said it was fine.
Something obviously changed at some point.

Why it became unfiltered last term I know-not....although I know that there are a number of staff who find it useful/interesting, and you'd have thought that they at least can access it to keep informed about what Old Blues are about.

Regarding the picture - I have only posted a link to it, that displays what's at that link. The questions regarding permissions I guess are ones for JDS regarding his whole gallery.
Having said that, if there's anyone out there with any objections at all then I'll happily remove both the picture and the link to the gallery - however the original picture will still be up there.

JDS - with your teaching experience I'm sure you're far more qualified than any of us to comment??

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jdshippen
2nd Former

Post by jdshippen »

Thank you all for your comments on publishing photos of children. I am not aware that the Internet has any legislation in addition to that which governs, for instance, school magazines. When I set up my gallery I used the same criteria I had used for 12 years as Editor of The Blue. Indeed most of the recent photos in the gallery have already been printed in The Blue including the one of Josh. At least 90% of the subjects in the photos are themselves now adult and in nearly all cases still in touch with me or at least aware of my address. Of those still at school, I am known personally to their parents, most of whom have seen the photos displayed in the Scout HQ on Parents Days.

To be on the safe side I have just looked through the gallery and removed the odd ones where I am not sure the subjects know or would qpprove of their inclusion. It is remarkable how keen Old Blues are to see themselves and their contemporaries as they used to be.

If anyone hears of adverse comments please let me know - if takes only a moment to delete a photo.

If anyone has more up to date information on the legal position please let me know.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

rock school

Post by englishangel »

I have no feelings either way, my children and I have been in newspapers and magazines, I was just wondering what the position actually was.
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

jdshippen wrote:Thank you all for your comments on publishing photos of children. I am not aware that the Internet has any legislation in addition to that which governs, for instance, school magazines. When I set up my gallery I used the same criteria I had used for 12 years as Editor of The Blue. Indeed most of the recent photos in the gallery have already been printed in The Blue including the one of Josh. At least 90% of the subjects in the photos are themselves now adult and in nearly all cases still in touch with me or at least aware of my address. Of those still at school, I am known personally to their parents, most of whom have seen the photos displayed in the Scout HQ on Parents Days.

To be on the safe side I have just looked through the gallery and removed the odd ones where I am not sure the subjects know or would qpprove of their inclusion. It is remarkable how keen Old Blues are to see themselves and their contemporaries as they used to be.

If anyone hears of adverse comments please let me know - if takes only a moment to delete a photo.

If anyone has more up to date information on the legal position please let me know.
Indeed. I rather enjoyed seeing the much younger me; makes me feel old though as it seems like such a long time ago!
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Ditto what Andy said. It was fab' to have a wander down memory lane. My husband had a good laugh too and at least I could show him what a *proper* Scout Troop looked like.

As for the law - I don't think (in England/Wales) you can copywrite your own image. The photo's you've taken, yes - but not your image. (although I could be wrong).

As for pictures - well - those of us in the Scouts knew JDS took photos, most of us didn't mind and saw them reproduced in the Blue/Scout AGM/Parents' days, and I'm sure if we have any sensible, burning objection now as oldies, I'm sure we could let JDS know. They don't appear to be being used for anything other than a gallery and there's nothing in the pictures than could be miscontrued. I can't see the problem. It certainly can't be any worse than photo's taken at public events. How dull the world would be if we couldn't share our photo's.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

rock school

Post by englishangel »

What have I started?

I was thinking child protection issues really.

I think memory lane is a wonderfiul place to go.
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Perhaps a new thread for this tangent! But I think people would be hard pressed to make a sustained complaint.

But back to topic.... Second episode of Rock School tonight... :D
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

...or pound a pint in the union...
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Deb GP wrote:Perhaps a new thread for this tangent! But I think people would be hard pressed to make a sustained complaint.

But back to topic.... Second episode of Rock School tonight... :D
Mention of the word tangent brings back painful memories of biology with Bob Sillett in the sixties :cry:

Regarding the "should you shouldn't you" issue re photos I don't THINK that there is a problem if the photo is already in the public domain e.g. Josh in The Blue.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

ben ashton wrote:...or pound a pint in the union...
followed by Rock School...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian

Post by Deb GP »

Drinks, Ashton? Pah - you obviously haven't worked hard enough this week!

Make the most of it while you can...
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Rock School

Post by JamesF35 »

jdshippen wrote: I also have a phot somewhere of his solo performance in 'All the King's Men' - a children's opera which we performed outside the Theatre in 2003
Hello John, I don't suppose you have a photo of me as one of the "king's fine generals" in the original (1973/4 ?) production in Big School ?

On second thoughts, I'm not sure I could cope with a photo of me at that age!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
James Bishop LHA / MidA 72-78
jdshippen
2nd Former

Post by jdshippen »

Hello James:
I have a few photos in my scrapbook of the original All the King's Men. My next major project is to put non-Scout CH photos onto my gallery site. Many hours of scanning ahead but it will be done over this winter. I am just e-mailing some MaA/LaB House photos to Julian who will presumably post them on the CH Forum photo site. Glad to hear from you - hope gites are going well!
JDS