President's nominee

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

President's nominee

Post by englishangel »

Has anyone heard this term?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

a brazilian times :wink:

to be serious no.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

No, where's it from?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't know, that is why I asked.

It was a term I heard at Hertford, once or twice, and also almoner's nominee, but obviously Governors nominees was quite well known
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

President's Nominees

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

"Governors' nominees" is a new one on me. Surely Governors didn't nominate, they presented? Hence "Governors' presentees".

In my years at CH (1960s/70s) the Almoners' Nominees were the pupils who had not been presented - whether by Governors or by organisations with presentation rights - but had simply entered CH by competitive examination at Great Tower Street. I tried to become an Almoners' Nominee but didn't do well enough in the exam and ended up being presented by my local education authority.

Don't think I've heard the term "President's Nominee" before, but I'd guess it means a pupil placed at CH by the President of the Foundation. An example would be the famous surgeon Berkeley Moynihan (CH 1875-81) who owed his place at the school to HRH The Duke of Cambridge (President 1854-1901).

Perhaps someone in the Counting House can give us the Authorised Version here.
Last edited by Doctor Smellcroft on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: President's Nominees

Post by englishangel »

Doctor Smellcroft wrote:‘Governors’ nominees’ is a new one on me. Surely Governors didn’t nominate, they presented? Hence ‘Governors’ presentees’.

In my years at CH (1960s/70s) the Almoners’ Nominees were the pupils who had not been presented – whether by Governors or by organisations with presentation rights – but had simply entered CH by competitive examination at Great Tower Street. I tried to become an Almoners’ Nominee but didn’t do well enough in the exam and ended up being presented by my local education authority.

Don’t think I’ve heard the term ‘President’s Nominee’ before, but I’d guess it means a pupil placed at CH by the President of the Foundation. An example would be the famous surgeon Berkeley Moynihan (CH 1875-81) who owed his place at the school to HRH The Duke of Cambridge (President 1854-1901).

Perhaps someone in the Counting House can give us the Authorised Version here.
Thank you Doctor Smellcroft. I suppose the majority of pupils are Almoner's nominees then but because it is the norm they don't know, unlike West Gift etc. or Governor's presentess where you know your Governor.

I asked because I was the President's nominee, (at that time the old Duke of Gloucester) but I didn't rise to the heights of Berkeley Moynihan.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think you'll find its one of 'Dubbya's' YES-MEN !

(Taxi !!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

J.R. wrote:I think you'll find its one of 'Dubbya's' YES-MEN !

(Taxi !!)
to be honest JR, that was my first thought when i read the thread title.

(hold that taxi! split the fare?)