CH Trivia

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I also miss-spelled Daddy Dore - you are right there also.

(fine organist 'though)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Shoz, how are you coping with all this info.?

Do you take notes, or can you remember it all?

Just out of interest, what does your wife make of your new hobby? Does she share your curiosity?

I'm sure quite a few of our partners wonder what we find so captivating about this forum, but most of us have the excuse that we actually attended C.H.

I tend to get in trouble with my Mrs. if I spend too long on a particular rugby forum - how about you?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Richard Ruck wrote:Shoz, how are you coping with all this info.?

Do you take notes, or can you remember it all?

Just out of interest, what does your wife make of your new hobby? Does she share your curiosity?

I'm sure quite a few of our partners wonder what we find so captivating about this forum, but most of us have the excuse that we actually attended C.H.

I tend to get in trouble with my Mrs. if I spend too long on a particular rugby forum - how about you?
This info is just what I was looking for. I hope it keeps coming. As the title is CH Trivia I hope people can fill it with just that! Up to now I copy and paste into a folder on my desktop to help me remember the main points.
My wife doesn't share my curiosty unfortunately. She enjoyed Rock School but to her it was just 'a boarding school'. Heathen!
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Bit more info for Shoz. There were two distinct sets of monitors - house monitors and school monitors. As mentioned above, the authority of house monitors was limited to the house. They were part of a team led by the house captain and his deputy who alone had studies and therefore a modicum of privacy. Open dorms, open dayrooms and open bogs were the order of the day.

Above all these were a select band of about 10 school monitors headed by the Senior Grecian and the Second Monitor. These were a race apart - demi-gods who could afford to be detached and though much revered, rarely if ever meted out punishment. To be honest, I cannot now recall exactly what their duties were - they may have been mainly concernd with ceremonial duties and such: reading grace, lessons in Chapel, attending functions, dining and wining with Flecker, greeting royal visitors etc etc.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

DavebytheSea wrote:dining and wining with Flecker.....
Sorry, but I have to ask.... :)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

shoz wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:dining and wining with Flecker.....
Sorry, but I have to ask.... :)
H.L.O. Flecker - sometime headmaster..
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Does anyone have any memories of their first day at CH?

I remember my first day at 'big school' very well. We all had to form an orderly queue outside the main entrance. I met up with a friend from my primary school and stood with him. The school was a grammar school the year before I got there. It was an Upper School in my time, the start of its decline into becoming a community school.
Anyway, we were all marched into the hall where the Head told us what to expect etc. Eventually names were called out and told which classroom to attend. My mates name was called but not mine and I was worried about being left alone so I decided to go with him. It tool quite a bit of explaining to the teachers but I ended up staying with my mate all through the school.

Just thought I'd share some of my memories seeing as you guys are good enough to share yours.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

shoz wrote:Does anyone have any memories of their first day at CH?

I remember my first day at 'big school' very well. We all had to form an orderly queue outside the main entrance. I met up with a friend from my primary school and stood with him. The school was a grammar school the year before I got there. It was an Upper School in my time, the start of its decline into becoming a community school.
Anyway, we were all marched into the hall where the Head told us what to expect etc. Eventually names were called out and told which classroom to attend. My mates name was called but not mine and I was worried about being left alone so I decided to go with him. It tool quite a bit of explaining to the teachers but I ended up staying with my mate all through the school.

Just thought I'd share some of my memories seeing as you guys are good enough to share yours.
My main memory of the first day was the feeling of utter loneliness when I watched my parents drive away.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Mid A 15 wrote:My main memory of the first day was the feeling of utter loneliness when I watched my parents drive away.
I can understand that, I bet there are lots of tears etc on the first day
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

DavebytheSea wrote:Above all these were a select band of about 10 school monitors headed by the Senior Grecian and the Second Monitor. These were a race apart - demi-gods who could afford to be detached and though much revered, rarely if ever meted out punishment.
I seem to remember one boy who was not a button grecian (initially) but was a school monitor.
He was allowed to use the grecian's path normally only used by button gracians or us lesser mortals if we were talking to a master who was walking up the path.
And never allowed in the centre doors that lead directly to the house masters studies.
This is really into CH trivia
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

AKAP wrote: button grecian .....
This is really into CH trivia
I bet you guys soon get so bored of me! :(

But is a button grecian different from a grecian?
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

button grecian - either for being very academic, or being a monitor (school or house)

they have a fancy coat with more buttons and velvet cuffs ... well worth the hard work or extra responsibility :wink:
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

I have heard of these extra bttons, I think they have 14 in total.
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

I don't remember that, but I do remember the cuffs being a nightmare to keep clean!
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

eloisec wrote:button grecian - either for being very academic, or being a monitor (school or house)

they have a fancy coat with more buttons and velvet cuffs ... well worth the hard work or extra responsibility :wink:
In my day it was a mark for extraordinary conduct; you had to be a grecian, you would be a house monitor but being a monitor did not mean you wouyld get your buttons.AFAIR no extra responsibility but a pain for the fag who had to keep it clean.

Coats were made to measure instead of "off the peg" and also lighter.
Shoz; when I was 15 my (standard issue) coat weighed 22 pounds (don't ask me the kilos - I guess it's around 10kg. And visitors comment about pupils looking tired.....!! No wonder
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!