Remembrance Day

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
eloisec
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:06 pm
Real Name: Eloise Carpenter
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Remembrance Day

Post by eloisec »

I know there's the topic about 11/11 on non-CH chat, but Remembrance Sunday always reminds me of standing in the quad, hearing the last post and planting our poppies. One of the ceremonies that sticks most in the mind. Apologies to the ground staff who had to collect them all up afterwards.

Is this ceremony still done?

For old times sake my poppy is now planted in a flower pot :wink:
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
User avatar
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:33 am
Real Name: David Eastburn
Location: Nr Falmouth, Cornwall
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DavebytheSea »

Yes it is done. I saw it yesterday for the first time. Very impressive. (See my posting elsewhere.)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Post by Great Plum »

These days it's the worst school drill to get - picking up the poppies the weekend after Rememberance Sunday...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 3141
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Post by Mid A 15 »

I have to say that I don't recall Remembrance Sunday being particularly commemorated in my time at CH. Maybe AKAP, Howard H or others of similar vintage can confirm or correct?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
User avatar
Deb GP
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 am
Real Name: Deb Smith (Gallant-Paffet
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Deb GP »

That's the worst?!?! Pathetic. Hardly a punishment at all really - just an inconvenience.
sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3820
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown ColA '52-'61
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Post by sejintenej »

I don't recall any reference to Remembrance Day (11th November) when I was at CH.

What puzzles me is clear memories of Remembrance Day type parades and services where I was living in Devon. - doesn't make sense
Uninstall 2020. It's got a virus
User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Post by Great Plum »

Deb GP wrote:That's the worst?!?! Pathetic. Hardly a punishment at all really - just an inconvenience.
But these days, given the choice of lugging a few chairs in Big School or picking 900 poppies out of the ground - I know what I'd rather do!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
AKAP
Grecian
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:36 pm
Real Name: Andrew Palmer
Location: Northumberland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AKAP »

Now back from Spean Bridge Commando memorial. Excellent remembrance day parade of both veterans and serving commandos. Very appropriate setting with snow topped mountains on all sides we all froze (didn't notice many big taches).
Mid A 15: I think you are right, we didn't do anything special for remembrance day, although we must have had a two minute silence, I guess it was after chapel on the Sunday.
ps met up with my foster brother this summer Francis Monk who must have been in Prep school when you were. He is teaching in Denmark. I have sent him details of this forum.
User avatar
Mid A 15
Button Grecian
Posts: 3141
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm
Real Name: Claude Rains
Location: The Patio Of England (Kent)
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Post by Mid A 15 »

AKAP wrote:Now back from Spean Bridge Commando memorial. Excellent remembrance day parade of both veterans and serving commandos. Very appropriate setting with snow topped mountains on all sides we all froze (didn't notice many big taches).
Mid A 15: I think you are right, we didn't do anything special for remembrance day, although we must have had a two minute silence, I guess it was after chapel on the Sunday.
ps met up with my foster brother this summer Francis Monk who must have been in Prep school when you were. He is teaching in Denmark. I have sent him details of this forum.
Glad I haven't gone completely senile! I think now you mention it the 2 minute silence was after Chapel.

I wasn't in the Prep. I started in Maine A in 1965. I remember Francis though. We played 2nd X1 cricket together under Tom Keeley.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
User avatar
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:45 am
Real Name: Bill/Will/Willie/William
Location: Market Deeping
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Post by Spoonbill »

To my shame, I got the uncontrollable giggles during one Remembrance Sunday standing-in-silence-in-the-Quad session. Had to report to my housecaptain afterwards for a stern dressing down - but I still couldn't stop giggling. Oh dear.

Probably I was punished, if that's any consolation to OBs who fought for their country.

I'm not a brainless idiot, honestly.
sejintenej
Button Grecian
Posts: 3820
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:19 pm
Real Name: David Brown ColA '52-'61
Location: Essex
Has thanked: 147 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Post by sejintenej »

Spoonbill wrote:
I'm not a brainless idiot, honestly.
at age 3 it simply hasn't grown yet. Will it?
User avatar
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:45 am
Real Name: Bill/Will/Willie/William
Location: Market Deeping
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Post by Spoonbill »

sejintenej wrote:at age 3 it simply hasn't grown yet. Will it?
Like I already said on another thread, I don't understand what the nickname 'Stubby' means.

Can someone please explain?

*
User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6956
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Post by englishangel »

Spoonbill wrote:
sejintenej wrote:at age 3 it simply hasn't grown yet. Will it?
Like I already said on another thread, I don't understand what the nickname 'Stubby' means.

Can someone please explain?

*
I think it is applied to a man who has a short thick penis.

Flaccid size has no relevance when erect. :roll:

Let's see what the forum censor does with that.
User avatar
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
3rd Former
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:32 am
Location: Woodford
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

englishangel wrote:I think it is applied to a man who has a short thick penis.

Flaccid size has no relevance when erect. :roll:

Let's see what the forum censor does with that.
The forum censor's the least of your worries. It's the Chelsea Pensioners you want to worry about, what with how their lovely Remembrance Sunday thread has turned into a chopper forum after only one page.

They don't like it up 'em.
User avatar
englishangel
Forum Moderator
Posts: 6956
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:22 pm
Real Name: Mary Faulkner (Vincett)
Location: Amersham, Buckinghamshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Post by englishangel »

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:
englishangel wrote:I think it is applied to a man who has a short thick penis.

Flaccid size has no relevance when erect. :roll:

Let's see what the forum censor does with that.
The forum censor's the least of your worries. It's the Chelsea Pensioners you want to worry about, what with how their lovely Remembrance Sunday thread has turned into a chopper forum after only one page.

They don't like it up 'em.
Blame Spoonbill
Post Reply