Old Blues Who Move Back to the Horsham/Hertford Area

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:My English teacher was an OB but I think she was the only one at Hertford when I was there.
Coming in for my first post, had Joy Holmes left before you came? She taught Maths. She had been 10 years at the school, Head Girl in her time. I only had her in the Sixth Form soon after I left she upped sticks and went to Nigeria.
Welcome to the forum. I think she left at the end of my first year. the name rings a bell but she never taught me. Mrs Betterton was the one who taught me English. Mentioned in one of the Hertford threads somewhere.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Deirdre Pallister & Joy Holmes

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

englishangel wrote:I think one of my (near) contemporaries was at Horsham for a while. She was a Doctor, whether she was the Doc there or married to a member of staff I don't know.

Her name was Deirdre Pallister at Hertford, but I have no idea of her married name.
Deirdre Pallister (2's 1969-76) married Michael Overend, who joined the CH staff in 1991.
Katharine wrote:... had Joy Holmes left before you came? She taught Maths. She had been 10 years at the school, Head Girl in her time. I only had her in the Sixth Form soon after I left she upped sticks and went to Nigeria.
Joy Holmes (2's 1943-50, Hertford Staff 1959-66) recently retired after quite a few years as Secretary of the Caledonian Society of Blues.
Last edited by Doctor Smellcroft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Deirdre Pallister & Joy Holmes

Post by englishangel »

Doctor Smellcroft wrote:
englishangel wrote:I think one of my (near) contemporaries was at Horsham for a while. She was a Doctor, whether she was the Doc there or married to a member of staff I don't know.

Her name was Deirdre Pallister at Hertford, but I have no idea of her married name.
<b>Deirdre Pallister (2's 1969-76)</b> married <b>Michael Overend</b>, who joined the CH staff in 1991.
Katharine wrote:... had Joy Holmes left before you came? She taught Maths. She had been 10 years at the school, Head Girl in her time. I only had her in the Sixth Form soon after I left she upped sticks and went to Nigeria.
<b>Joy Holmes (2's 1943-50, Hertford Staff 1959-66)</b> recently retired after quite a few years as Secretary of the Caledonian Society of Blues.
Thank you.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Doctor Smellcroft wrote: <b>Joy Holmes (2's 1943-50, Hertford Staff 1959-66)</b> recently retired after quite a few years as Secretary of the Caledonian Society of Blues.
I'm pretty sure that Joy had been in a Junior house before 2's and was a full 10 years at the school from Second Form through to the end of Senior Sixth (Third year Sixth) I was in an A-level group of 2, who both stayed on to the Christmas of Senior Sixth before (in my case) escaping to France for a few months.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:My first housemaster, Roger Martin, was an Old Blue, as was the school doctor, Hoskins, and a few others besides....
CME Seaman and AP Waller (maths teacher) are two other Old Blue teachers from my time. Dr Hoskin's predecessor, Dr Scott, was also an Old Blue.
Whilst I was not aware that Seaman was an old blue (and he arrived when I was there) the name which has been omitted so far is that of Mr Kirby of bees and wierd science fame. I know that there was at least one other OB in my day but I forget the name.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
Doctor Smellcroft wrote: <b>Joy Holmes (2's 1943-50, Hertford Staff 1959-66)</b> recently retired after quite a few years as Secretary of the Caledonian Society of Blues.
I'm pretty sure that Joy had been in a Junior house before 2's and was a full 10 years at the school from Second Form through to the end of Senior Sixth (Third year Sixth) I was in an A-level group of 2, who both stayed on to the Christmas of Senior Sixth before (in my case) escaping to France for a few months.
Were you not Head Girl? You were there until Christmas of my first year I believe.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Joy Holmes

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Were you not Head Girl? You were there until Christmas of my first year I believe.
No, not me, it was Virginia Coles in 8s. I was one of 4 Senior VIth in 6s and we did not have either Head Girl or Deputy (Elizabeth Richards - 7s the other Mathematician) As you well know, Mary, you may remember me but there is no chance I would remember you as a little squit in 2s. I was a school prefect and may have told you off for some petty transgression when I was on duty!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:Were you not Head Girl? You were there until Christmas of my first year I believe.
No, not me, it was Virginia Coles in 8s. I was one of 4 Senior VIth in 6s and we did not have either Head Girl or Deputy (Elizabeth Richards - 7s the other Mathematician) As you well know, Mary, you may remember me but there is no chance I would remember you as a little squit in 2s. I was a school prefect and may have told you off for some petty transgression when I was on duty!!
Well I cannot remember first years from my own house let alone another.

The only reason you may have told me off was because I always forgot to change from my house shoes into my outdoor shoes for chapel in the morning, apart from that I was nauseatingly well behaved.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:The only reason you may have told me off was because I always forgot to change from my house shoes into my outdoor shoes for chapel in the morning, apart from that I was nauseatingly well behaved.
Can't even remember checking for that, outside chapel it was blazer buttons mainly. Can't think now why we just followed the rules laid down and carried on with the same rules. it seems so petty that everyone HAD to have all the buttons done up on their blazers.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:The only reason you may have told me off was because I always forgot to change from my house shoes into my outdoor shoes for chapel in the morning, apart from that I was nauseatingly well behaved.
Can't even remember checking for that, outside chapel it was blazer buttons mainly. Can't think now why we just followed the rules laid down and carried on with the same rules. it seems so petty that everyone HAD to have all the buttons done up on their blazers.
Just the times we lived in. No hands in pockets, and wearing chapel cap.

All coming back now. My children's school ( an Upper School in a Grammar district) has just gone back to blazers and ties after after years in sweatshirts.

Fortunately my two are in Sixth form so they don't have to wear uniform.
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

Bingo here. Just thought I'd drop in and deny these scurrilous suggestions that I lead a secret double life as Spoonbill. I don't deny being somewhat overweight, but I'm definitely not in the same league as friend Spoonbill.

As for our friend Dirty Old Jack, who/what he is is anybody's guess. (brackets edited for inappropriate content - JT)

Yes, it's true that I only input on this forum sporadically, but I'm a regular visitor. I only stick stuff on the threads when there's a halfway sensible reason to.

I agree with Englishangel's theory that Spoonbill merely has fun being contentious. Sort of a 'light the blue touchpaper and stand well back' kinf of a guy.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sounds like time for an I.S.P. check, if you ask me !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:Bingo here. Just thought I'd drop in and deny these scurrilous suggestions that I lead a secret double life as Spoonbill. I don't deny being somewhat overweight, but I'm definitely not in the same league as friend Spoonbill.

As for our friend Dirty Old Jack, who/what he is is anybody's guess. (Possibly a former member of staff, sacked for child molestation.)

Yes, it's true that I only input on this forum sporadically, but I'm a regular visitor. I only stick stuff on the threads when there's a halfway sensible reason to.

I agree with Englishangel's theory that Spoonbill merely has fun being contentious. Sort of a 'light the blue touchpaper and stand well back' kinf of a guy.
Well he has posted on the forum since instigating the thread but no comments on the thread.

Image Image Image
A Dirty Old Jack
3rd Former

Post by A Dirty Old Jack »

Nice to see myself getting a name-check on this here thread, but I have to disappoint you. I'm neither the Spoonbill nor the Poop-Eating Dog. I'm the authentic Dirty Old Jack.

As for the thread, I personally find the idea of an Old Blue living just down the road from CH a bit sad, unless the person's led a long, full life and travelled the world prior to retiring to the Horsham or Hertford area. Still a bit Mr Chipsy, though.

About fifteen years ago I slept rough in a barn near Southwater and that was quite close enough. Saw that bl**dy water tower poking up above the trees and it made me feel right depressed.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I didn't say you WERE Spoonbill or BTPED, just that the three of you seem to pop up at odd times after breaks.